Jakob Thread: LP5 Hype Edition

1 hour ago, Sad Heart said:

Opening a credit card for records, amazing. Scratch that, opening a credit card for one record. Just when I thought I’ve seen it all. 

I mean that's not literally what happened haha but I can see how you'd infer that from what i said.  I meant that I used the offer to get a bunch of things I'd had on the wantlist for a while, like that Jakob album, Soup - Remedies, Joywave's "Koda Vista" and Century Media had a massive black friday sale so i got all the Necrophobic albums i like.  it kind of all happened around the same time. 

Laugh and make fun of me all you want, but the offer gave me $200 free statement credit when I spent $500 in the first 3 months.  So i got Solace for freeeeee, AND 1.5% back on all of those purchases as well.  Use the system!  It's the Capital One.... something card.  Silver something?  I'm not sure.  I have referral codes tho if you want, but i know you're just gonna turn me into the butt of the joke again ;)

But I got $80 back on offers for using Stubhub and Holiday Inn when we went to Montreal for my birthday to see the Canadiens.  Something I was buying anyway.  My girlfiend just got hers too - we just got a free hotel room with the $200 thing.  It's amazing. 

This is the 2nd time I've done this, as well.  Play the balance transfer and sign-up bonus offers game man.  You pay the small fee to transfer the balance, but then you get a year + of no interest to worry about.  Use the system to your advantage.  I do this because my work picks up significantly in the summer, so i can do what i want during the cold months and then pay it off later when my income goes up.  My friends had been raving about their rewards cards forever, and they were right.  It's free shit.  You're spending money anyway already, might as well make it work for you too. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

5 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I mean that's not literally what happened haha but I can see how you'd infer that from what i said.  I meant that I used the offer to get a bunch of things I'd had on the wantlist for a while, like that Jakob album, Soup - Remedies, Joywave's "Koda Vista" and Century Media had a massive black friday sale so i got all the Necrophobic albums i like.  it kind of all happened around the same time. 

Laugh and make fun of me all you want, but the offer gave me $200 free statement credit when I spent $500 in the first 3 months.  So i got Solace for freeeeee, AND 1.5% back on all of those purchases as well.  Use the system!  It's the Capital One.... something card.  Silver something?  I'm not sure.  I have referral codes tho if you want, but i know you're just gonna turn me into the butt of the joke again ;)

But I got $80 back on offers for using Stubhub and Holiday Inn when we went to Montreal for my birthday to see the Canadiens.  Something I was buying anyway.  My girlfiend just got hers too - we just got a free hotel room with the $200 thing.  It's amazing. 

This is the 2nd time I've done this, as well.  Play the balance transfer and sign-up bonus offers game man.  You pay the small fee to transfer the balance, but then you get a year + of no interest to worry about.  Use the system to your advantage.  I do this because my work picks up significantly in the summer, so i can do what i want during the cold months and then pay it off later when my income goes up.  My friends had been raving about their rewards cards forever, and they were right.  It's free shit.  You're spending money anyway already, might as well make it work for you too. 

I dont want this to be like...a lecture, you're an adult and you're gonna do what you do anyway.

Anyone who is considering doing this, make sure you're still living within your means. I pay for just about everything on credit to get cash back, but I also never buy anything I couldn't just afford to pay cash for. That way I can pay the item off immediately and not even have to worry about interest.

Yeah you don't even need to pay down your credit card amount immediately if you don't want. As long as you pay the statement balance each month (not the current total balance to bring the overall balance to $0), then you'll never incur interest. 

I used to travel a lot for work and I would use my personal credit card to book flights and hotels and stuff, then just expense it. It was awesome to get all the travel miles on my card, but was also hilarious to have insane statement balances to pay each month. Never once paid interest for anything.

On 5/22/2023 at 9:42 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

As far as all the repress talk, I've chatted with Jeff a good bit.  They know.  I just think they have no real motivation to do the work for it.  Like i said before, the last talks were that Translation Loss was offering, but they wanted to do a local place. 

I did shoot an email to the address listed on their facebook but never heard back. If you could let them know I'm serious about it and willing to do the legwork/put up the $ and defer as big a % of the profits to them up to 100% if they so choose, please tell 'em to hit me back at [email protected].

Credit card bonuses for vinyl. 😂 Good stuff.

The sooner you realize you can just reverse-mortgage your house and convert it into Discogs grails, the better off you'll be.  Use the system man.  Huge loophole that not nearly enough people are taking advantage of.  My friends had been raving about their hauls after downgrading to shipping containers in their parent's backyard, and they were right.  It's free money.  Abuse the system!

4 hours ago, wiscodeman said:

Yeah you don't even need to pay down your credit card amount immediately if you don't want. As long as you pay the statement balance each month (not the current total balance to bring the overall balance to $0), then you'll never incur interest. 

I used to travel a lot for work and I would use my personal credit card to book flights and hotels and stuff, then just expense it. It was awesome to get all the travel miles on my card, but was also hilarious to have insane statement balances to pay each month. Never once paid interest for anything.

This. I'm just super anal about paying things off right away so I don't forget.

My oldest son is a credit card "churner." He's put some hours in learning the system, and it yields almost like a 2nd job after what I call tuition money in time on the learning curve. Not my cuppa, but he enjoys it. Always has enjoyed a challenge, but also will camp out over night for special bourbon releases, and trades those, too. 

Never camped out for concert tickets, or got in line for RSD.

I'm just happy running everything  I can through my Blue Cash card, and it pays for Christmas.

But........ on topic, Jakob are the only band on my bucket list for bands to see live. 

Will fly to the west coast US, but not to NZ.

On 5/23/2023 at 11:11 AM, TheGhostOfRandySavage said:

Anyone who is considering doing this, make sure you're still living within your means. I pay for just about everything on credit to get cash back, but I also never buy anything I couldn't just afford to pay cash for. That way I can pay the item off immediately and not even have to worry about interest.

Yeah i mean, this is kind of the whole point - you can't go hogwild, or you'll get screwed.  BUT, $500 in spending... over 3 months.  That's $42 a week.  And then you've just gotten Solace for free with the $200 statement credit by buying gas, groceries, whatever, AND you've made 1.5% back on all of those purchases.  So that's basically like $10 if you factor in 200 for Solace.  Its not a ton, but it's also not nothing, and you've done nothing different other than life your life. 

On 5/23/2023 at 2:49 PM, DecayToDeath said:

I did shoot an email to the address listed on their facebook but never heard back. If you could let them know I'm serious about it and willing to do the legwork/put up the $ and defer as big a % of the profits to them up to 100% if they so choose, please tell 'em to hit me back at [email protected].

PM incoming!

12 hours ago, drds89 said:

My oldest son is a credit card "churner." He's put some hours in learning the system, and it yields almost like a 2nd job after what I call tuition money in time on the learning curve. Not my cuppa, but he enjoys it. Always has enjoyed a challenge, but also will camp out over night for special bourbon releases, and trades those, too. 

Never camped out for concert tickets, or got in line for RSD.

I'm just happy running everything  I can through my Blue Cash card, and it pays for Christmas.

But........ on topic, Jakob are the only band on my bucket list for bands to see live. 

Will fly to the west coast US, but not to NZ.

Yeah my one friend is craaaazy with it and has like 10 cards haha.  That's insane.  But giving up free money when you're going to spend it on your debit card anyway, rewardless...  i mean, that just seems silly.  As long as you aren't the dupe that the company is hoping for and forget to pay it off after the year's grace period and then the whole year's interest comes hammering down, you've used the system to your advantage.  I really don't get why people are mocking this so much haha. 

And yeah......  Jakob needs to come back.  Or at least do Dunk again.  Them and Envy are my last ones, I believe. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, mameeshkamowskwoz said:

I scored a Solace test pressing today! If you guys don't care no one else will, so I came here to share the news cuz I'm excited.

Congrats! That's a big one down. I had a copy from the 2013 Fundraiser that GF had, and a more diehard Jakob fan than me from AUS wanted it BAD, so I ended up selling it to him less than a month later.

Glad to see you are still on the GF mission. Did he ever get you the custom-made box with all the Freddy Points you racked up?

On 9/15/2023 at 9:34 PM, drds89 said:

Congrats! That's a big one down. I had a copy from the 2013 Fundraiser that GF had, and a more diehard Jakob fan than me from AUS wanted it BAD, so I ended up selling it to him less than a month later.

Glad to see you are still on the GF mission. Did he ever get you the custom-made box with all the Freddy Points you racked up?

Yeah! The box did NOT disappoint. I'll have to snap some pics and share them on the forum some day. Honestly the inability to upload pics make it a bit more of a pain to share images here. I'm up to 67 test pressings, too. 

• 3 months later...

Unofficial official update:

Jakob setlist 12/9:

Blind Them With Science

Magna Carta

Pneumonic

Lonesome

Jimmy Hoffa

The Diffusion of our Inherent Situation

Aural

I'm On Your Side

ReWild - NEW SONG

Consonance - NEW SONG

Ageena

Oran Mor

Resolve

THREE songs from Subsets!  and TWO from Cale:Drew!

More:

"Going to add Malachite for tonight's set at our hometown gig"

"No Recordings yet but may have something for people to listen to early next year"

"Yeah, those Subsets songs are great, forgot how good they are to be honest.  We'll get onto the vinyl thing when we're close to having this album finished."

From Jeff Boyle (Guitar).  He's so gracious and chill.  Really, really friendly dude. 

On 9/18/2023 at 8:08 AM, mameeshkamowskwoz said:

Yeah! The box did NOT disappoint. I'll have to snap some pics and share them on the forum some day. Honestly the inability to upload pics make it a bit more of a pain to share images here. I'm up to 67 test pressings, too. 

please do! I am not as diehard as you but I just sent it 24 freddie points and grabbed Night School - Invoke and the Precocious Neophyte record since I am too poor to buy records or resub for the club right now

14 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Unofficial official update:

Jakob setlist 12/9:

Blind Them With Science

Magna Carta

Pneumonic

Lonesome

Jimmy Hoffa

The Diffusion of our Inherent Situation

Aural

I'm On Your Side

ReWild - NEW SONG

Consonance - NEW SONG

Ageena

Oran Mor

Resolve

THREE songs from Subsets!  and TWO from Cale:Drew!

More:

"Going to add Malachite for tonight's set at our hometown gig"

"No Recordings yet but may have something for people to listen to early next year"

"Yeah, those Subsets songs are great, forgot how good they are to be honest.  We'll get onto the vinyl thing when we're close to having this album finished."

From Jeff Boyle (Guitar).  He's so gracious and chill.  Really, really friendly dude. 

It's not like Jakob has a single weak song in their entire catalog, but that set list is pure lust

17 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I hope that their remark on vinyl pertains to both SOS and C:D .  If Evpatoria can press Golevka, there’s no reason why Jakob couldn’t make these 2 classics happen.

I'm trying, man.  The vinyl connect I was negotiating was initially only interested in Cale:Drew and Solace, but I'm hoping they'll be interested enough to do Subsets too. 

This is literally my #1 mission in life before i die, to make this happen and connect the right people. 

17 hours ago, drds89 said:

It's not like Jakob has a single weak song in their entire catalog, but that set list is pure lust

dude right?  Like...... i can't even.