Jakob Thread: LP5 Hype Edition

Just take solace in the fact of how many post rock / metal records are pressed.

Get it together, Gumbo.

BUT I WANT THESE.

Haha. No but really, my perplexion (word?) stems from the fact that these guys are small bands and labels, so why not do it? What big legal hurdles could there be?

I just don't get why a label would say "No." Especially with a band like Jakob where the stuff would clear out instantly. Unless it's really just that much of a hassle for the band.

I think ultimately my frustration arises from my perception that somewhere, someone in the supply chain seems to be going "ehhh... nah, we don't really want to do this."

For instance, Midium Records seems to be the holders of Jakob's material. Even if they weren't to do this, they would still make money on a repress by TMS who would pay a licensing fee.

Now, if Midium is getting uppity and whiney about price points and percentages, well... that's super lame. Just press the damn music. I don't think you go into a genre of music like this to make money. The point is you love the music, and should want it to spread further.

Unless, do you think labels ever sometimes say "No" to represses because they enjoy seeing something they released climb to astronomical levels on the secondary market? I'm sure there's got to be cases like that.

I remember talking to Mike Vennart from Oceansize about repressing their debut album, Effloresce, and he said that the label simply doesn't want to do it. ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID? It would instantly sell out!!!! I paid $100 for that record. People will buy it. It seems like they simply want to keep a one-and-done claim for themselves. Unless they truly are misreading the market demand for such a product? I don't know.

EDIT:

By the way, if there were a record library where I could check out Solace for a while, this wouldn't even be an issue ;)

I remember talking to Mike Vennart from Oceansize about repressing their debut album, Effloresce, and he said that the label simply doesn't want to do it. ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID? It would instantly sell out!!!! I paid $100 for that record. People will buy it. It seems like they simply want to keep a one-and-done claim for themselves. Unless they truly are misreading the market demand for such a product? I don't know.

I really need that record at a decent price...!

It's still in the works. It'll happen... eventually.

I remember when they used to write me notes about the next Tertia repress. That was a few years ago. They said 'soon' and I was thinking "oh cool a few months or so". Turned out to be two years. J & L take their time. I'm cool with it though cause they're the best.

all jakob releases were supposed to get vinyl pressings like 3 years ago on "doognad records" so this isn't the first time its happened

^qft and Thomas there is good people but the shipping would have been killer. That Sheath is doing them is a double bonus and any hold up I'm sure has nothing to do with J&L's end. Prob legal stuff as always...

Just take solace in the fact of how many post rock / metal records are pressed.

Yep, punny man of the day award!  :)

• 10 months later...

No real progress but Feb 2017 newsletter from Mylene Sheath says they're still cometh:

"So we get at least one email everyday asking us if we're going to be pressing up the Jakob catalog on vinyl. We had announced that we would be doing it last year, but the schedules just didn't line up. But we have good news, the wheels are back in motion :) We'll be pressing the self-titled album, Subsets of Sets, Cale:Drew, and Solace - so be prepared, for they do indeed cometh. Stay tuned!"

4 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

So here's a question though.  How do you think this will affect the market value of the OG Solace pressings?  

Considering the demand prior Solace presses have maintained, and analyzing the sale graphs on Discogs and Popsike for various copies and variants over the last 3-4 years, I have determined that I don't give a shit and neither should you.

But really.  Like with any repress that is sought after, it will drive the demand down a bit, but hardcore / variant enthusiasts will pay just as much or more to complete their collection in the future.  I find it tough to really care though.

And just to clarify: as someone who owns multiple variants of Solace, I am excited to see it repressed.  Not only because I'm interested to see what variants they come up with, but also because this record is too good to not be in the collection of anyone interested in post-rock.  Muh portfolio be damned.

[edit]

If I misinterpreted your post and you're inquiring after aftermarket value because you're trying to pursue an OG copy, I apologize.  I'm just 99% sure you own an original press or two, but I could be mistaken.

Edited by Derek™

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

And just to clarify: as someone who owns multiple variants of Solace, I am excited to see it repressed.  Not only because I'm interested to see what variants they come up with, but also because this record is too good to not be in the collection of anyone interested in post-rock.  Muh portfolio be damned.

Oh me too.  it's just something I'm curious about, so I do care!.  I have an OG, and will buy another.

Like with "Salvation" by Cult of Luna, people were asking astronomical prices for the vinyl before the repress, and now they go for half that.  I'm curious if Solace will suffer the same thing.  Market stuff like this is interesting to me! 

9 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Oh me too.  it's just something I'm curious about, so I do care!.  I have an OG, and will buy another.

Like with "Salvation" by Cult of Luna, people were asking astronomical prices for the vinyl before the repress, and now they go for half that.  I'm curious if Solace will suffer the same thing.  Market stuff like this is interesting to me! 

I hear you.  The fluctuation in price is admittedly interesting to see play out, sure.  But for me, personally, I'll be hanging onto my current Solaces regardless of whether or not I pick up additional copies.  If I had less of a hoarding problem with variants I'd probably be smart about it and sell them in advance, but alas.

The newsletter confirmed that the S/T is getting pressed too... was that always a part of the plan?  I feel like it wasn't.  Leafing over some posts on the first page, it looks like the tentative plans had only included SOS and C:D up until now.  Really cool that we'll be able to own vinyl copies of everything they've released, barring Dominion.

4 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I hear you.  The fluctuation in price is admittedly interesting to see play out, sure.  But for me, personally, I'll be hanging onto my current Solaces regardless of whether or not I pick up additional copies.  If I had less of a hoarding problem with variants I'd probably be smart about it and sell them in advance, but alas.

The newsletter confirmed that the S/T is getting pressed too... was that always a part of the plan?  I feel like it wasn't.  Leafing over some posts on the first page, it looks like the tentative plans had only included SOS and C:D up until now.  Really cool that we'll be able to own vinyl copies of everything they've released, barring Dominion.

Yeahhhh, I have an unplayed OG Solace that I haven't cracked yet.  Waiting for a new table before I spin it.  I'm curious whether it would be financially advantageous to part with that prior to these coming out.  I'm not sure I'd want to, but it's interesting to think about. 

I also was listening to the S/T album today for maybe the first time ever.  I'm not sure how that ever escaped me.  Some of the songs are exciting, but other times it feels like they hadn't quite figured out to maneuver their sound for maximum effectiveness yet the way they figured out later.  They turned a big corner with Solace, IMO.  C:D and SOS are great and have some great songs I'm VERY fucking excited to hear on vinyl (Nice Day For An Earthquake and fucking Semaphore!!!) but for me, I think Solace and Sines are the tops.  

I think i'll be revisiting my CDs though of C:D and SOS though, it's been a good while since I've played them. 

2 hours ago, DOMAN127 said:

Admittedly have only heard Solace and Sines, but I'm definitely in for a repress of the former. I always need reminders to round out my familiarity of some bands' discographies; guess this is my push for Jakob's.

Listen to Cale:Drew and then immediately put Solace on. Everyone knows what I'm talking about don't say anything haha. Trust me you'll enjoy it.

It's safe to say I'm gushing over this news. Solace has been among the top spots on my wantlist ever since I missed the 2008 repress. Had some bad timing with my car exploding while doing 100mph days prior to the preorders going up and when I finally had the nerves and funds to go for it, it was gone. It's not like copies disappeared from the surface of the earth ever since, but I'm not much of an aftermarket guy and rather have my cash go directly to the people involved, especially with people as awesome as this band.

Also, Solace is one of the very last gaps on my .doc of albums I need to own on vinyl. That is, for now at least. Might be nice enough to have that list complete just once, for a fleeting moment.

• Derek™ changed the title to Jakob Thread: LP5 Hype Edition