Jakob Thread: LP5 Hype Edition

There has been chatter about Translation Loss doing the Jakob represses.  I heard that through Kit from This Patch of Sky.  Whether it happens is another story. 

The most frustrating band in post-rock.  They should have 10 albums by now, but they have 4 lol.  I don't understand their disdain for marketing.  They've been sitting on those remastered CDs for a couple years now, and just refuse to sell them. 

I've been through all 5 stages of grieving per KublerRoss re: Jakob vinyl and happy that they have real jobs to support their music hobby.  I used to think they were underachievers for their musical composition, the reality is the PITA for the squat $ they stand to make in the business, let alone for vinyl pressing (or  CDs) is obviously not worth it to them.

Strong contender for FOAT guitar tones, swells, atmosphere and riffage.

• 2 months later...
On 11/24/2019 at 12:39 PM, mrewest said:

This thread is 5 and a half years old lmao.  Finna have Dan @ ITC just lathe cut everything /50 & call it a day 😂 

Maybe 3 of them will work, if you're lucky.  They did the /7 Ranges 7" lathe.  First batch was PRISTINE, but only had audio in the right channel.  Re-do batch had audio in both channels, but sounded like it was recorded off of a Playschool cassette deck.  Awful sound. 

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Maybe 3 of them will work, if you're lucky.  They did the /7 Ranges 7" lathe.  First batch was PRISTINE, but only had audio in the right channel.  Re-do batch had audio in both channels, but sounded like it was recorded off of a Playschool cassette deck.  Awful sound. 

Hope you don’t think I’d ever seriously suggest lathe cutting any post-rock, let alone Jakob haha

EDIT:  Lol oh wait I forgot I have that Patch of Sky lathe that actually sounds legit.  But still, Jakob needs the proper treatment.

Edited by mrewest

3 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

He probably expected it to sound good like ITC guy advertises and people on this forum confirm 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣 so hilarious.

I honestly think a handful of my lathes from ITC sound real good.  Happy Body Slow Brain live was the only god-awful one I had.

15 minutes ago, mrewest said:

I honestly think a handful of my lathes from ITC sound real good.  Happy Body Slow Brain live was the only god-awful one I had.

I have one and it sounds good for any record let alone a lathe. I'd take your suggestion even if you weren't being serious lol

haha yes of course i don't want Jakob on lathes.  Lathes have their own unique sound and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  I can't stress how good the single-channel Ranges 7" sounds though, like it's REALLY FUCKING GOOD.  But it's god damn only the right channel.......

I'm wondering if we all pepper the band with comments if they'll finally move on with Translation Loss, or maybe they're committed to The Mylene Sheath and we should let them know that Caspian bailed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well that's fucking awesome. 

I've been chasing down the remastered CD's for like 3 years now, and Maurice finally messaged me back.  I didn't want to bother him too much, but I tried to see what info I could get out of him since this is such a mystery.  He said that they WERE talking to TMS about the reissues, but it never went anywhere and that was the end of it.  Nothing was ever sealed, no deals. 

So, perhaps this last push will finally get them to see how in-demand this stuff is.  There should be no compromises, but it's just weird how epic their "meh" attitude seems to be haha.  Such a hobby band! 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, jaba1337 said:

Well, I finally bought an original pressing of Solace, so knowing my luck, the reissue should appear any day now.

What funny timing.... I just came in to update the thread!

After years and years of seeking out the remastered albums on CD, I literally just connected with Maurice a few minutes ago.  After we conducted our business, I had to ask.... and he filled me in. 

Quote:

No nothing yet. We have been in touch with Drew and he has expressed his interest but we also have someone interested in it in NZ. We don’t know who we will go with at the moment but when we do we will let you all know what’s happening. Right now we are writing new songs which we hope to record later this year.

• Derek™ changed the title to Jakob Thread: LP5 Hype Edition