Locked Ebay Ipod Touch, can they be unlocked without the past user?

As far as I know, there is absolutely no workaround to bypassing that activation screen. 
You need the original Apple ID and password used to setup the phone.

It's an anti-theft feature. If the eBay seller is the owner [which I am assuming they are not], they could just reset the iPod and sell it.

You may have to shell out some coin unless you want a very pretty paperweight. 

Can't you just re-install ios? Then you will just log in to your account and profit.

I guess not, have no clue

As far as I know, there is absolutely no workaround to bypassing that activation screen. 

You need the original Apple ID and password used to setup the phone.

It's an anti-theft feature. If the eBay seller is the owner [which I am assuming they are not], they could just reset the iPod and sell it.

You may have to shell out some coin unless you want a very pretty paperweight. 

Thanks for input my friend!

You might be able to try kicking it into recovery mode and then reinstalling iOS : http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1212

This might work!

my nephew locked and forgot his password. i just plugged in to itunes and totally restored and set up everything under me.

ive also recovered an ipod 3rd gen doing this same process (non touch)

I think the new IOS s what prevents it from being so easy, cant be impossible though

Ya, I think before you were able to just plug it into any computer and restore/reinstall.

I did a bit of research and apparently some people developed a tool that allows you to bypass the iCloud/activation screen, but I don't know if Apple has since patched that or not. The most recent article I found is from April of this year.

If you can get it for $30, I'd say it's worth tinkering. At worst, you can throw it back on eBay and probably make your money back pretty easily.

Who's selling? If you can't trace it back to the owner, don't buy regardless if how cheap. Don't support property theft.

If you can be assured it's not stolen, probably a decent buy. Worst case, sell it on eBay for parts.

I certainly do not support property theft.

Jailbreak it? Is that possible if it's locked?

Not sure man. If I could restore it, then maybe.