OUT NOW: Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 Repress

Finally got around to opening my copy and give it a listen. Overall I am slightly disappointed, the gatefold is cheap and thin and mind has tear marks or something like a big piece of tape was wrapped around it at one point. LP 1 also had an incorrectly sized punch hole and wouldent even come close to fitting on my table until I widened it with a pen. The mix is decent, but i feel sorry for people who payed a premium price for this release, there is nothing about it that justifies the price.

• 3 months later...

Can you tell if you have a grey copy by the number on the side without opening it?

http://www.discogs.com/Coheed-And-Cambria-In-Keeping-Secrets-Of-Silent-Earth-3/release/6201109

Notes
"Direct 2 Fan" edition. Barcode for gray version is on a sticker over barcode (for the black version) that is printed on the jacket.

Also...if you ordered the grey one.

• 1 year later...

I got a black copy of this from amazon marketplace for $24.77 shipped in March of 2015 and this thing is silibance city. Its incredibly over powering and distracting. I don't think I've even flipped to side B on it ever. Side A was so bad I couldn't keep going. So that sucks. Anyone else have these issues?

58 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

I got a black copy of this from amazon marketplace for $24.77 shipped in March of 2015 and this thing is silibance city. Its incredibly over powering and distracting. I don't think I've even flipped to side B on it ever. Side A was so bad I couldn't keep going. So that sucks. Anyone else have these issues?

This repress unfortunately sounds like ass across the board.

1 hour ago, mcpherson123 said:

the grey marble pressing sounds great.. but we all know how you feel about coloured vinylz

21 hours ago, ethereal said:

the grey marble pressing sounds great.. but we all know how you feel about coloured vinylz

In this case its more about how I feel about paying $40  for a 2XLP. But I have to say that "grey" and "marble" are my two most detested color vinyl attributes and that thing has them together. Still its more about the cost. I kind of find it hard to believe that the grey is just fine because silibance would be a problem in the mixing or vinyl mastering (or "cutting") stage of the process so that would mean that the grey variant would have to have come from a different acetate cut than the copy I got. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't know exactly why they would do that. Not that its completely inconceivable but it would be a weird turn of events.

21 hours ago, Derek™ said:

This repress unfortunately sounds like ass across the board.

Thanks for the feedback. That really blows.

I'm really surprised the grey sounds so good compared to the rest; some friends and I snagged the peach tour variant and agree that it's one of the worst sounding pressings we've heard.  Haven't chatted with anyone who's picked up a black copy, prior to McPherson, but I always assumed they would've sounded better.  I guess I was misinformed and grey-marble is the way to go, for whatever reason.