PO: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Reissues

So I got my copy of Abbatoir Blues in. It arrived way faster than I expected from a third party Amazon seller from the UK and was $32 shipped. The seller still has a copy up, reflexcdgb is their name. It was packaged well too, no issues.

How does it sound? I've read it sounds flat. Not really worth it if so.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any good inside information on when the assumed remaining US reissues (Boatman, Murder Ballads, Good Son, Henry's Dream) might be out?

I got confirmation from Amazon that my copies of "Let Love In" and "Tender Prey" will be delivered next Tuesday (2/17), but my preorders of "Good Son"/"Murder Ballads" (originally scheduled for release on 2/17 as well) are now listed as "unavailable."

Does anyone have any good inside information on when the assumed remaining US reissues (Boatman, Murder Ballads, Good Son, Henry's Dream) might be out?

I got confirmation from Amazon that my copies of "Let Love In" and "Tender Prey" will be delivered next Tuesday (2/17), but my preorders of "Good Son"/"Murder Ballads" (originally scheduled for release on 2/17 as well) are now listed as "unavailable."

Bull Moose is has similar information.  I'm guessing Let Love In and Tender Prey are still on track for the 17th, but the other two got delayed for some reason (possibly plant delays due to RSD?).  I'll be happy as long as they make it out eventually.

The US releases keep getting mucked with, so I ended up ordering the last 5 from Amazon Germany (same release dates as the UK, but about $30 cheaper overall thanks to a better conversion vs. the Euro)... Henry's Dream is on the way; No More Shall We Part, The Good Son, Let Love In are shipping Friday. Boatman's Call first week of March. (Got Tender Prey earlier this month from Juno.UK).

Then I'll be done. :D

I got burned with copies of The Boatman's Call and No More Shall We Part... ordered them online at prices which made me think they could be originals, but when they arrived they were clearly bootlegs. Horrible artwork; flimsy covers; poorly pressed. Oh well... glad these reissues are finally coming.

Received Tender Prey from Amazon yesterday. The edge of the vinyl on side 1 is really rough and looks chewed up. Causes several pops in the beginning of Mercy Seat. Just scheduled to have a replacement sent. Hope it's just an anomaly and not an issue with the pressing of this album.

Damn, I picked this up at my local yesterday but haven't spun it yet. My copy of Let Love In sounds great.

My copy of Tender Prey was in terrible shape as well. The copy I received looked brand new and had the shrink wrap still on, but it had been opened and there was a small black circle sticker closing the wrap. I thought maybe they forgot to include inserts or download codes at the plant and that's why it'd been opened, however I got it with a gift card from the Australian chain JB Hi-Fi's website who are notorious for resealing/repackaging returned items and selling them as if they were new, so it could have been that also. It looked new though, so I didn't care too much. But then after inspecting the record it was covered in small dimples and weird dents around the edges. Clearly either massive pressing defects or someone had taken to it with a pen or nail.

I took it back to my local JB Hi-Fi to get a return, and the girl at the counter told me that "they all come like that" and that I couldn't get a refund. She then called this guy over who explained that "vinyl is an imperfect format and that that is apart of the appeal and you need to expect impurities in sound quality". They eventually gave me a store voucher though.

Since then every other copy I've seen in other stores have also been opened with the small black sticker holding them together.

I've been lucky so far with the reissues (I have 7 so far) as all have arrived in great condition (one was even an unwrapped "Amazon Warehouse Deal" and it was fine). Back when "Push the Sky Away" came out, I got a release-day edition that had the edges chewed up like "Tender Prey" described above. Haven't heard of that as a common issue, so probably just luck of the draw :-/ Sometimes Amazon returns can be slow, but I'm sure you'll get a good one.

Not sure what your copy looked like specifically, but dimples in new vinyl are common and have never affected sound in my experience.

Yeah, no. Dimples are not that common and in most cases they do affect sound quality. I don't think accepting defective records is something we should swallow, especially considering that the price of vinyl these days has reached insane type levels.

She then called this guy over who explained that "vinyl is an imperfect format and that that is apart of the appeal and you need to expect impurities in sound quality".

That is classic. Yeah, I buy records so I can listen to crap quality dimpled vinyl. Did this guy look like the comic guy in the Simpsons?