ebay transaction advice

I know I see these threads all the time but this issue was a new one for me.  Here's the bottom line:

I won an auction for a record and the ebay description listed this as shipping option: " US $3.00 Economy Shipping (FedEx Smartpost)"

I paid immediately after winning.

The auction ended six days ago, and today I receive an email from the seller telling me that shipping actually cost $16 and he politely requested that I send him the remaining $13.

I politely reply and asked him if there was a specific reason he didn't just ship it media mail with tracking.  I also requested a copy of the receipt and told him I would probably have to request ebay's advice on the matter.

He promptly replied with a picture of the receipt showing that it was shipped to me USPS Priority Mail for a total of $15.80.  He did not tell me why he shipped it this way and said if I am unsatisfied I can return it once I receive it for a refund.

Here's my thoughts:  I don't really care about the $13 as a whole.  In fact my max bid was about $20 more than the item sold for anyway.  And if the original listing said "will ship USPS Priority for $16" there's a good chance I would've been okay with that too.  However, I see it as a binding deal for $3 shipping, because that's what the listing said.  I really do not feel like I should be obligated to pay the difference because the seller made a choice on his own to ship it in a matter that was not agreed upon by both parties.

What do you guys think?

He has no case

It's a matter of your conscience. To me, it would be one thing if he made an honest mistake and thought it weighed less and that caused a huge variation in the shipping cost, but it's his fault for not just shipping the cheapest option. And its especially his fault for sending it first and asking for money second.

Personally I would maybe offer the guy $5 to be nice. Or if it was a pricey record, tell him after you get it that he can go ahead and cancel the transaction so he can recoup the fees.

I think he had no clue what he was doing listing the shipping. They ended up taking it to the post office and somehow used priority and I'm guessing since it's the full rate he lives on the opposite coast of you. None of this is your fault. Let it be a hard lesson learned for him if wants to start selling records online, he's gonna have to learn how to ship and list the smart way anyhow.

I agree with the two above answers!

Shipping was $3 period.

The seller will know better next time

I would feel bad but if the seller has it listed as $3 shipping and nowhere did it say anything else besides the fact that item will ship $3 then eh their loss and your deal. Dude will probably leave negative feedback that's the only bad thing that can happen, if they even do that much.

Also people bid for stuff once they have taken the shipping into consideration. If it was going to cost more to ship he should of messaged you first to see if you still wanted to go ahead. I'd offer him a token $5 for his troubles but out of principle I wouldn't pay the full amount at all.

I had a similar situation recently.  I bought a record off discogs the other week for $10, and added $3.50 for shipping.  The seller was great, and had perfect communication, but just didn't know better, I suppose.  He ended up sending the record(well packed) in an oversized box through UPS.  Shipping was like $14.  He texted me a pic of the receipt, saying shipping ended up costing him way more than anticipated.  

I asked if I could chip in a few bucks to help cover it, but he declined, and said it was a lesson learned.  He ended up paying me to take the record after all was said and done.

Perfect way for it to play out.  The recipient should have no liability in a case like this, if everything happened after the agreed upon terms.

Being from the UK, and buying lots from the US, I've come to terms with the fact that the quoted figure for shipping internationally is always wrong. However, there is always a note in the description which alerts you to the fact so unless they noted that the shipping may be more then I'd say the fault is theirs and that if they said they were shipping it economy mail then they should have shipped it as economy mail.