Pitch Changing On Record

It's a Crosley CR49, I'm sure it's not great but I don't know what you'd expect as I'm just getting into vinyl.

cat+in+toilet.jpg

What I would expect is for you (or anyone for that matter) to do some research on what turntables to buy before jumping into a hobby like record collecting.

You can go to a record shop/thrift store and grab a $50-100 turntable that is going to run circles around a Crosley, grab a $20-50 receiver and $20-50 speakers from a thrift store and have a decent beginner set up, or you can spend $130 on a Crosley that is going to just scratch your records to hell and do stuff like this and sound like garbage.

That's why I hesitated to ask though. I figured this might be the case.

I know what I said above may come off as harsh, I don't mean it that way. I'm just saying, next time you get into a new hobby do some research before you start blowing cash and you'll save yourself some money/hassle.

The problem is almost definitely your TT.

Wow, I've joined plenty of forums for most hobbies I'm interested in, and I've never met such a hostile, unwelcoming group. Normally forum users who are experienced in the subject welcome new people to the hobby (as do I for forums I frequent), but I've never met a group like yall. I do appreciate the help you have given me so far.

Wow, I've joined plenty of forums for most hobbies I'm interested in, and I've never met such a hostile, unwelcoming group. Normally forum users who are experienced in the subject welcome new people to the hobby (as do I for forums I frequent), but I've never met a group like yall. I do appreciate the help you have given me so far.

Welcome to VC. Never mention owning one of those.

Seriously? I don't think there has been any hostility in this thread at all, and most posts over the course of the thread have been helpful. Don't be a baby, ya dingus.

Seriously? I don't think there has been any hostility in this thread at all, and most posts over the course of the thread have been helpful. Don't be a baby, ya dingus.

Hostility might not have been the right word, but you MUST see how unwelcoming yall are to a new member. OF COURSE I don't know which turn tables are good or bad and to be treated like there's some expectation to is ridiculous. The TT was in my family so I didn't have to purchase it.

Hostility might not have been the right word, but you MUST see how unwelcoming yall are to a new member. OF COURSE I don't know which turn tables are good or bad and to be treated like there's some expectation to is ridiculous. The TT was in my family so I didn't have to purchase it.

Oh, well there you go. When you get a chance do some research and pick up a decent turntable and you'll be alright.  Crosley's really are awful, as you're learning with this pitch change problem.

I think you may just have some of the ole thin skin going on too, this thread has been ridiculously tame, not only that, but you got the help you were looking for.

There is an expectation that if you start getting into a hobby that you'd do research though...why wouldn't there be?

It's like if you were getting into cars, and you went out and just spent $70,000 on a Geo Metro (I know they don't actually cost this much, it's an example.) when you could have spent that same $70,000 and gotten a much nicer car, which you'd have known if you'd just done a few simple google searches.

I've never understood when people get into expensive hobbies without actually doing any sort of research or legwork, guess I never will.

Oh, well there you go. When you get a chance do some research and pick up a decent turntable and you'll be alright.  Crosley's really are awful, as you're learning with this pitch change problem.

I think you may just have some of the ole thin skin going on too, this thread has been ridiculously tame, not only that, but you got the help you were looking for.

There is an expectation that if you start getting into a hobby that you'd do research though...why wouldn't there be?

It's like if you were getting into cars, and you went out and just spent $70,000 on a Geo Metro (I know they don't actually cost this much, it's an example.) when you could have spent that same $70,000 and gotten a much nicer car, which you'd have known if you'd just done a few simple google searches.

I've never understood when people get into expensive hobbies without actually doing any sort of research or legwork, guess I never will.

Understand that I'm the kind who when I do get into a hobby, I GET INTO A HOBBY. This was my first form of research. If I wasn't wanting to learn more I would not have joined. I just got my dad's beogram 1800 out of the attic, the belt currently is broken but I do plan on taking it to somebody tomorrow. Are you familiar with this TT? What do you think of it?

Understand that I'm the kind who when I do get into a hobby, I GET INTO A HOBBY. This was my first form of research. If I wasn't wanting to learn more I would not have joined. I just got my dad's beogram 1800 out of the attic, the belt currently is broken but I do plan on taking it to somebody tomorrow. Are you familiar with this TT? What do you think of it?

http://bit.ly/1uEeUKc

But in all seriousness, it seems that turntable sounds pretty good, but the cartridges cost a grip.

Boy, it is a nice looking TT though!

Most likely problem is that the record was pressed off-center, which would cause the needle to move back and forth, resulting in audible pitch warble (especially near the label). While better cartridges track inner grooves better and minimize issues like this, the record itself is likely the problem and if I were you I would absolutely return it. No questions asked. I've returned several records pressed off-center and have had no issues - Brian Wilson's Reimagines Gershwin, Oasis' The Masterplan, Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin's Jane Birkin/Serge Gainsbourg. My ears are very sensitive to pitch wavering and I cannot put up with it. Neither should you! Besides, Animals is not a hard record to find (and my copy sounds excellent), so just pick up another one some time. 

Also check out the Turntables/Equipment sub-forum here. There all the big hifi experts can really help you out with issues and opinions. But definitely grow some thicker skin, too. VC has actually been way nicer than usual lately.

Haha, yeah, then AJXD or whatever can tell you what a piece of shit you are for not having a ridiculou$ly expen$ive system and an $800 record cleaner. Then he'll berate you for not having access to an actual scientific laboratory to make your cleaning solution.  :rolleyes:

Haha, yeah, then AJXD or whatever can tell you what a piece of shit you are for not having a ridiculou$ly expen$ive system and an $800 record cleaner. Then he'll berate you for not having access to an actual scientific laboratory to make your cleaning solution.  :rolleyes:

I took one look at that part of the forums and decided to never post there because of that haha.