PO Now: Thank You Scientist - Maps of Non-Existent Places

Coheed and Cambria frontman Claudio Sanchez has officially launched his record label Evil Ink Records and his first signing is New Jersey’s young experimental progressive rock septet Thank You Scientist.

The newly formed label, distributed by INgrooves, will be releasing a fully remixed and remastered version of the band’s 2012 debut full-length record, Maps of Non-Existent Places, on September 30th, in time for their run with Coheed and Cambria’s “Neverender:IKSSE3 Tour.”

In anticipation for the upcoming release, Thank You Scientist has premiered “My Famed Disappearing Act” today at https://soundcloud.com/evilinkrecords/tysmfda. Maps of Non-Existent Places will be released digitally, Digipak CD and for the first time on vinyl. The double LP, available on both blue and black 180 gram vinyl, can be pre-ordered now at www.EvilInkRecords.com.

Claudio Sanchez knows a little bit about progressive music. His career has spanned 12 years and 7 albums, likely encompassing the longest concept album arc in the history of rock and roll. Now, in effort to further support and promote his beloved complex genre, he has launched a label dedicated to sharing a wealth of future talent with the first signing being the extremely talented seven-piece band Thank You Scientist.

For the uninitiated, Thank You Scientist was forged from the music program at Montclair State University in New Jersey when guitarist Tom Monda met saxophonist Ellis Jasenovic and trumpeter Andrew Digrius. The three bonded over their love for Frank Zappa, Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Beatles and Harry Nilsson. Those influences would become the seeds for what Thank You Scientist would evolve into today.

With the addition of vocalist Salvatore Marrano, bassist Greg Colacino, drummer Odin Alvarez and violinist Ben Karas, Thank You Scientist’s lineup of virtuoso musicians was complete. The band would go on to self-release an EP, The Perils of Time Travel, in 2011 followed by their debut full-length, Maps of Non-Existent Places, in 2012, which caught the ear of Sanchez, a fellow purveyor of progressive stylings, and led to his signing of the band.

To pinpoint Thank You Scientist’s sound would be inconceivable. On Maps of Non-Existent Places they hold a virtual master class on musicianship, fusing elements of progressive rock with jazz fusion, classical, metal, psychedelic and pop for a head spinning, mind-blowing listening experience. The seven-piece band, who collectively play some 20 instruments, boasts a hyper-composed sound which is indebted to their experience and formal training in both classical and jazz idioms.

A Frank Zappa for the indie generation? Incubus jamming with the Mahavishnu Orchestra? Mr. Bungle and Steely Dan joining forces to fight Godzilla? King Crimson and the Brecker Brothers serenading you at your bedside? It all seems so strange on paper, yet it’s sure to satisfy your ears in the best of ways.

Fans can expect a new studio album in 2015. Follow the band now at https://www.facebook.com/ThankYouScientist for additional news and updates.

All over this, been a huge fan and supporter of these guys since I found about them near the end of 2012, not long after this album came out.

Checked the stock levels earlier and it showed 182 left for Blue and 96 left for Black. I'm guessing 200 Blue and 100 Black for pressing numbers, unless Black is less because the band will get some copies.

The newly formed label, distributed by INgrooves, will be releasing a fully remixed and remastered version of the band’s 2012 debut full-length record, Maps of Non-Existent Places, on September 30th, in time for their run with Coheed and Cambria’s “Neverender:IKSSE3 Tour.”

September 30th isn't in time for the tour, it's towards the end. I hope they get it a few days earlier so I can pick it up on the tour. 

September 30th isn't in time for the tour, it's towards the end. I hope they get it a few days earlier so I can pick it up on the tour. 

Yeah, I didn't write it....I just copied it from the site.

I just confirmed with Tom of Thank You Scientist....that it will be available on tour starting with the first date.

Edited by The_James_Champ

• 1 month later...

Their bio is the most pretentious thing I have ever read.

Can't really get into the recording, maybe my opinion of them will change after seeing them.

I haven't listened to the recording yet but they are awesome live! I was very impressed last night.

I'm very excited to order this.

I really dig the band and I refuse to believe that they're not big fans of Estradasphere because a lot of the instrumentation is incredibly similar... especially Blood on the Radio and Suspicious Waveforms.

I hear a lot of the dapper bandits in their music. I love buck fever wish it would get pressed. I think we need to petition to mimicry records about this.

Are you on the message boards over there at webofmimicry?

Yes, but hardly active.

musicalevangelist on there.

Also, I just preordered this on Amazon to save a couple bucks and bundle with my Led Zepp and Modest Mouse reissues, but don't know if they'll fulfill this since it was kind of hard to find on the site.

No details on color, though.

There... on topic.