Help with Gemini XL-BD10

I got the Gemini XL-BD10 turntable used from Craigslist a few months ago in an effort to save some money. I'm relatively new to vinyl, and I have just about zero knowledge about how turntables work, which ones are good, etc. 

Today I was listening to an LP, and the music stopped all of a sudden. In fact, the platter stopped rotating altogether, but the needle remained in the groove of the record. From my limited understanding, I assume there's a problem with the belt. I don't know exactly what my next step is, though. Is it fixable? If not, should I buy a new part? Or, should I just get a newer, better turntable?

Help me, VC!

might be the motor to the spindle itself. The only reason the belt should affect it from actually functioning is if it breaks. I've bought a used turntable where someone put the wrong size belt on and that affects the speed, but I digress. You can take the platter off by removing the slipmat, putting your fingers through those holes and pulling up. Before you do that, research how to put the belt back on because right when you lift the platter off, the belt will come off as well :). If you move the arm into the 'Play' position then you should ideally see the motor spinning. This will give you a better idea of whats wrong when you see the insides of the tt. good luck!

Yes, the strobe comes on. The only problem is the fact that the motor isn't moving. Is this fixable? If not, I'd rather not replace it, as the turntable has been falling apart slowly. Assuming I can't fix the motor, can you recommend any good brands or specific units that are really good, but within a relatively cheap range? (I'm 14 and don't have a great deal of money).

If the motor won't turn by hand it sounds like the motor has died or if it spins by hand but not when you start it it could be best case a bad connection but more likely the motor control board or motor.

The early direct drive Gemini's were very good turntables for what they were but the later ones are not as well made and I expect the belt drive ones fall into the same category as they only made direct drive originally.

Of the direct drives from a few makers there are some bargains about just because they are not SL1200/1210's, but for home use do a pretty good job.

All of these DJ copy turntables vary in price very much so if you can't fix it keep looking and a good condition cheap one will appear, as a tip if you stay Gemini go for one where the Gemini logo is in orange not black, there are some of the early black logo ones that are pretty good but you need to know which so if you go for orange logo only you can't be wrong.