The Defeater Story

Anybody follow this? I feel like I know bits and pieces of the story but not the whole thing. I've been meaning to really dissect the lyrics of "Travels" and "Letters Home" so I don't really have a complete picture.

Here's what I know, maybe some of yous guys can add to this.

Travels

-About younger brother

-Older brother tries to kill him playing "train dodge"

-Younger brother kills father

-Runs away

-Meets the "Prophet in Plain Clothes"

-Goes home, learns of his mom's death

-Throws himself off the roof of a church

Lost Ground

-About the "Prophet in Plain Clothes"

Empty Days & Sleepless Nights

-About older brother

-Picks up after father's death

-Gets married

-Being harassed by a local bookie over his father's debt

-Tries to fight bookie and loses

-Wakes up, finds his wife raped/murdered

-Mom dies of drug overdose

-Waiting for his brother to return to kill him

-(???) Younger brother returns, older brother fails to kill him and is run over by the train (???)

Letters Home

-About father

-Has an older brother who died

-Comes home to his wife who has a drug addiction

-Murders drug dealer who got her hooked/slept with her

That's all I really know. Last time I saw Defeater I asked Derek about a couple things. They are as follows:

-In Letters Home, the father meets the prophet before the events of Travels. I don't know when this occurs on the album.

-In Empty Days & Sleepless Nights, the younger brother never returned. The older brother imagined it as fuel for killing himself. This is hinted at in the first line of the song, 'Lost in your own head.' So does this mean when the events of that song are described on the album Letters that it's really "the dodge" or what this a premonition from "the prophet?"

Okay that's all I got.

• 10 months later...

it's basically about COOOWAAARDS

This made me laugh last August when I first read it. Almost a year later..STILL HILARIOUS.

But on a serious note, I not only need to really dig into their entire catalogue but also closely read the lyrics so I can get to know this story better. I've only really listened to Letters Home & even then, I'm terrible with learning lyrics.

Here's a question, in 'Empty Days & Sleepless Nights' the older brother refers to his father as an "airborne man."

In 'Letters Home,' the father appears to be an infantryman, "Hold fast, defend."

Also in 'Letters Home,' the father refers to his dead brother as, "sleeping at the bottom." (Plane crash?)

Conclusion, maybe the father's brother was the airborne man, but the father told his sons war stories about his brother but claimed them as his own?

Calling it now, the priest in the video is introduced as a character. He and the mom have been having an affair and doing junk together. That's why the church is the, "Only one place she'd be," He's the biological father of the youngest son, either he's the one the father killed in 'Letters Home' or he's the one that the youngest son goes to see at the end of 'Travels.'

• 1 month later...

Calling it now, the priest in the video is introduced as a character. He and the mom have been having an affair and doing junk together. That's why the church is the, "Only one place she'd be," He's the biological father of the youngest son, either he's the one the father killed in 'Letters Home' or he's the one that the youngest son goes to see at the end of 'Travels.'

I think you're spot on. Well done.