Ferguson, and other issues

So the people who were on the grand jury are dumb, just think about for a minute, what if everything was true. What makes you guys think it wasn't?

No one said they were dumb or incompetent for that matter. I was agreeing with his experience with jury duty because it was similar to mine.

Yeah, sorry, I realize that was a little misleading in context. I'm not saying they reached the incorrect conclusion or that this particular jury was dumb or not up to the task. I was just making a larger point about juries, or people really. Being handed a serious responsibility doesn't magically make the recipient, uh, responsible. 

I agree that no one in this thread really has a clue about what actually happened and we may never.

So the people who were on the grand jury are dumb, just think about for a minute, what if everything was true. What makes you guys think it wasn't?

they all didnt have to agree, just 9. 

The grand jury consists of six white men, three white women, two black women and one black man. Nine votes are needed to indict.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ferguson-case-racial-and-gender-makeup-of-grand-jury-revealed/

they all didnt have to agree, just 9.

The grand jury consists of six white men, three white women, two black women and one black man. Nine votes are needed to indict.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ferguson-case-racial-and-gender-makeup-of-grand-jury-revealed/

How do you know that all of the yes's were the white people? That's a ridiculous assumption to make.

im not saying either way, im just stating the facts of what happened and what the makeup of the grand jury was.  I'd love to know how the votes broke down, but that wont happen because they'll be found in contempt for breaking that silence.  3 african americans of 12 jurors does represent the population of st louis county, so the demographics were accurate in that regard

It seems like after some thought that wouldn't the absolute best way for there to be change is to JOIN the system and fix it from the inside-out? Become the police officers and the political leaders and help fix those problems when you are a part of the system that is broken.

In theory, this is the answer. But it doesn't work in practice, because of intimidation and corruption within the police department. Frank Serpico tried to do this, and he got shot in the face because when he called for backup, the other cops ignored him. He lived, but still... he got set up to get murdered because he tried to address police corruption. The guy took a .22 to the face trying to do the right thing, and it was no accident.

Cops are the problem. Racism is a huge part of this, too - yeah, cops kill black people indiscriminately and they get off. Did Darren Wilson kill Mike Brown for no reason? We will not ever know for sure, but my answer is "probably," after reading his testimony. In truth, though, it doesn't matter. Look at all the other people cops have killed for no reason - they can be black, they can be Hispanic, they can be Asian, and yes, they can even be white (it does happen). Most often they are mentally ill, suicidal, or a minority - and none of those things are crimes. 

So the more I see this addressed as an issue of race, the less hope I have for this very serious issue being solved. The more you marginalize and specialize it, the less it seems to be the gigantic fucking problem that it is, because police brutality is without any shadow of doubt the biggest problem Americans face and will face in the future as police forces are militarized. You can fight me on that point, but you won't be when an officer kicks in your door and shoots your daughter in the head.

Is it an issue of race? Yes, absolutely. Mike Brown was probably shot by Darren Wilson just because he fit the profile of a robbery suspect and was black. Akai Gurley was "accidentally" gunned down in a stairwell just a few days ago, and he was black. (That one was actually ruled a homicide, so there's a +1 for the "justice" system.) But it is not strictly a race issue. Realize that, everyone, and maybe we will come a step closer to collapsing the police state. 

Also, as an aside: Peaceful protest does not generally work regardless of this factor, but it especially does not work when the police are armed with tanks. Violent protest is the answer here, and there's really no question about that. When cops are facing the same problems civilians are - that is, being gunned down because they are cops (and maybe they're not even committing a crime, and maybe they're not even criminals) - this problem will be solved. I'm not saying "Kill cops," but that provides some perspective, doesn't it?

In short:

29-atjmbo.jpeg

federal cases always set the precedent for the next.  if you're shot by a cop in missouri now, you're pretty much fucked

this wasnt a federal grand jury, it was a state grand jury, the federal case into civil rights violations and other potential charges is still being investigated.

That sucks. I guess those savages were just following orders from Michael Brown's stepdad who, after the DA made his speech, said "Let's burn this bitch down!"

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/25/us/michael-brown-stepfather-video/

Heck, they already torched restaurants, warehouses, used car lots, police cars, etc. Churches aren't immune to this behavior either. Oh well.