Ferguson, and other issues

PLEASE GO ON TWITTER AND POST IN #stoptheparade

I want the protests in NYC to get so big that they stop or at least hinder the Macy’s thanksgiving parade in some way. Please get this tag trending, and explain what this is to others, we only have a couple of hours and this will keep the media talking about Ferguson 

PLEASE HELP

I like the protesting, not so much the destruction of people's businesses.

That picture of Michael's dad going around is really sad too

Exactly.

And the media didn't help either. They seem to think that the officer had an agenda to go around shooting black people. Funny thing is, there are murders every day in the black and white communities, and usually they are paid no attention to. Unfortunately this was a total black and white thing from the beginning. The entire issue of the police abusing their powers was never mentioned until midway through this fiasco, it was all black vs white. Obama, Holder, Sharpton, all made this a total race issue from the beginning and IMO, those guys are as racist as David Duke and Mark Furhman. It's on both sides and always has been.

That sucks because the real issue here is how much power the police have, and how they are able to use it (or abuse it). Do I think the officer had the right to defend himself? Absolutely I do. Do I think in general the police have friends "high up" and have their own "good 'ol boy" system like the government, the mafia and other organizations? Absolutely I do. And that issue was clouded the entire time by race. The race card was played so much by Sharpton and company (and the media) that it was hard to see through the smoke and mirrors to the real issue. And you may not agree, but if you look at Michael Brown's history of run-ins with the law, the actions that day (stealing the cigars, strong-arming the clerk, etc), it was clear that his behavior was terrible. Now that doesn't mean he deserved to die, because we have government officials who do far worse than him and they are never questioned, but if evidence points to him going after the officer's gun and trying to assault him, then the officer is allowed to defend himself. I'm sure if Michael Brown had a gun and someone tried to assault him he'd do the same.

But this goes back to Brown's environment too. I don't know much about his mother's past, I don't think she has had any run-ins with the law, other than her being investigated for inciting a riot when she and friends assaulted street vendors selling Brown t-shirts. But that was after Brown died. I know the stepfather has been in jail. It all comes down to how you are raised, what influences are around you, and so forth. By teaching children respect and discipline, and raising them in a proper environment, the chances of success are much higher regarding a child's outlook on life, treating others with respect, etc. I can say this because my family and I grew up dirt poor. And our neighborhood had every type of ethnic demographic possible; whites, blacks, latinos, orientals, you name it. And we all got along. We were all poor but we played games, threw the ball, visited each other's houses, etc. Parents knew the other parents. Everyone was a tight community. And it didn't matter that we all had lousy cars, fences falling down, and my Dad was in-and-out of work (he was a construction worker during the 80's Reganomics era, which was a nightmare for our income bracket). Yet we all stayed together, played together, and everyone was close. But we knew right from wrong. We knew not to carry weapons, or sell drugs, or act like fools. And although the "nice" neighborhoods were miles down the road and our buses would pass through them during the day, we didn't feel we were being cheated or that anybody "kept us down." We made our own choices, our own paths, and nobody blamed anyone else.

When I see some of the pics online of Brown holding a gun, strong arming the clerk and so forth, I can't help but grieve for him and the community as a whole, because he seemed to never have a chance. Black or white it doesn't matter, if we glorify the "thug" mentality, then kids will flock to it. Hey, it's cool to carry a gun, it's cool to intimidate others, it's cool to steal, and suddenly you have lost them. And again, color doesn't matter because it can permeate all environments. Although my group of friends and I steered clear of it, we knew many kids of all colors and ages who, in time, would join gangs, get kicked out of school, punch other kids, steal their books, etc. I was picked on and kicked around quite a bit in middle school. I was the only white person in many of my classes and I heard all kinds of racist names shouted at me every day. But it didn't matter because unfortunately I knew other whites who said racist things about the black kids. It seemed that everyone was prejudiced against everyone. And again, it brings me back to the original issue of police power abuse, because it seemed to be swept under the rug because nothing but race, race, race was being discussed, and unfortunately a bigger topic was lost.

I have lots of problems with the government, no matter who is in charge. I'm probably one of the few people on here who still believes that Oswald did not kill JFK. I believe in a massive cover-up. Why do I bring that up? Because that one event seemed to change people's views of the government once the Warren Report was released. IMO that led to a landslide of distrust in government and public officials over time, and after that the landslide kept on going, and turned into a major avalanche of distrust. So yes, those in power frighten me and I know we're not all being told the truth. But nobody will discuss that in the media, it's all about color, and color only it seems.

We have all been tainted by our experiences. We have all experienced racism no matter what our color is. I wish I knew how to remove it, but it's not that simple. But I do know that destroying buildings, blocking hospitals and so forth is not the way to do it. MLK never advocated violence and I agree with him. And I disagree with everyone on here who says that the burning and looting is justified because of "deep emotional occurrences in the past." If that was the case, then everyone on Earth could loot and burn because all colors were invaded, murdered, sold into slavery, etc. at some point in human history. Destroying the businesses and churches of your local community does no good, especially to those business owners who spent many years developing their businesses and building something from scratch.

I'm not sure what the future holds, but the last thing we need is another civil war. Stop griping about color and start uniting against the powers that be, because that is where the real hatred and division is at.

I agree with so much of what has been said here and like many I am fully under qualified to make any judgement. My concern is that I don't know what rallying behind this particular case is going to do. Cops have a rich history of fucking over African-Americans and I just wonder why this cause. 

Ry made a good point about Zimmerman, man that was a fucking miscarriage of justice and some straight bullshit, but we are so use to seeing cops get away with stuff like this my concern is the narrative of MB (Who by no means deserved to be shot) might be obfuscating the real issue of cop violence, corruption and overreach (Which is a huge major issue in our country). 

I just wonder if there is IDK a better way to focus that protest seeking justice for all and not just MB, I mean jesus there hasn't ever been any justice for Trayvon.