Ferguson, and other issues

You don't have to like me....my city is burning around me though. Firefighters can not keep up with the fire starters and are having to leave areas as they are being shot at while trying to put fires out....

You were right, it's becoming obvious now as I'm watching this stream that it is a lot more than a few people doing stupid things.  Civilians are shooting at other civilians now, which is fucking ridiculous.  It just sucks that the 1% (or less) of the population has to resort to gunfire and arson.  You just seem to sit pretty far to the right on a lot of this stuff, from what I remember of your posts.  I shouldn't have said that, sorry.  I don't know you.  This whole thing is just scaring me and it's hard to wrap my head around it.

I feel angry because I feel that as a black man. I need to live in fear. I don't believe that all police are racist, power hungry idiots but I've had enough negative experiences to see that there are some out there. As a society, we shouldn't fear those there to serve and protect just as much as police shouldn't be in the news every other week for nonsense.

I think I heard that the Wilson family wants to now raise the idea of all cops wearing body cams. 

I'd guess that all of us would agree that would be a good thing. Might help to make shit like this a little easier to wrap our brains around.

I feel angry because I feel that as a black man. I need to live in fear. I don't believe that all police are racist, power hungry idiots but I've had enough negative experiences to see that there are some out there. As a society, we shouldn't fear those there to serve and protect just as much as police shouldn't be in the news every other week for nonsense.

That's the problem about today's society, I see too much racism still and it makes me sick. As a white man when I see stuff like this happen I can't stand it and I feel it makes me look even worse being a white person. I hope my generation can help do something about racism in america and what we can do so stuff like this doesn't happen ever again. I agree that body-cams on all officers should be in place so we would have a recording of the exact events and no need for questionable eye witness accounts when the even is caught on camera.

You were right, it's becoming obvious now as I'm watching this stream that it is a lot more than a few people doing stupid things. Civilians are shooting at other civilians now, which is fucking ridiculous. It just sucks that the 1% (or less) of the population has to resort to gunfire and arson. You just seem to sit pretty far to the right on a lot of this stuff, from what I remember of your posts. I shouldn't have said that, sorry. I don't know you. This whole thing is just scaring me and it's hard to wrap my head around it.

From watching CNN, it looks like more and more of the protesters are leaving. It's just riots now.

People are angry because this is another instance in a long line of police officers shooting unarmed people of color without any accountability. Dude was on paid leave and got $400,000 donated to him by shitheads. He profited from killing an unarmed 18 year old. People are rightfully angry.

See that right there pisses me off. I don't see why he would get donations in the first place. Just sounds downright idiotic

See that right there pisses me off. I don't see why he would get donations in the first place. Just sounds downright idiotic

because for every person of color demanding justice, there are two wealthy white folk who think that those damn hooligans need to pull up their trousers and act right.

Reasonable discussion that leads to actual change isn't started like this. Sorry if I'm the only one that feels that way.

No I agree. It isn't violence that spurs change. I just understand where the anger comes from. I wouldn't even go to a protest like that because it's easy to get caught up in the groundswell of emotions.

You were right, it's becoming obvious now as I'm watching this stream that it is a lot more than a few people doing stupid things. Civilians are shooting at other civilians now, which is fucking ridiculous. It just sucks that the 1% (or less) of the population has to resort to gunfire and arson. You just seem to sit pretty far to the right on a lot of this stuff, from what I remember of your posts. I shouldn't have said that, sorry. I don't know you. This whole thing is just scaring me and it's hard to wrap my head around it.

No worries. I am an extremely liberal guy...but that doesn't meen I'm a guy that just goes around saying "fuck the police." not sure what else to say other than I hope only buildings burn...and no one gets seriously hurt.

I don't know all of the facts so i don't want to act like i do but when it comes to the rioting and looting it usually comes from a longer stretch of time of frustration and anger. It is never a first response to go burn buildings and loot but it is sometimes unavoidable because there are people that let emotions control their actions. Once these things start it makes trying to create a peaceful protest impossible.

I hope anyone on here in that area is safe and i hope it doesnt get any worse. I just can go on social media for a while. I see people who are saying he is a hero and should be treated like one which makes me pretty upset because if a person is not in uniform and shots and kills an unarmed person it is completely different. A uniform shouldn't put people on a different level to where they can have the ability to kill someone and get away with it. So that is my two cents 

And in some cases, this behavior is what leads to revolution and change. There is no uniform way to go about change unfortunately.

Sure, but look at the significant social revolutions that have happened in modern society (post social media). Social media is only serving to incite the masses. In a few weeks all of your FB friends will be back to posting about nothing significant and most of the world will forget there was ever an issue. Pure, reactionary, mass incited hate, in my opinion, severely limits the lifespan (and credibility) of a social movement.

Sure, but look at the significant social revolutions that have happened in modern society (post social media). Social media is only serving to incite the masses. In a few weeks all of your FB friends will be back to posting about nothing significant and most of the world will forget there was ever an issue. Pure, reactionary, mass incited hate, in my opinion, severely limits the lifespan (and credibility) of a social movement.

I'm not too educated on the subject, but haven't there been numerous "revolutions" post social media, that owe much of their success to social media?  Egypt?  Yes, there's always going to be the people who jump on issues like this, post on social media about it, and then forget it happened a week later.  But still, even then, as long as they're not spewing bullshit that's counter productive to the issue, it's raising awareness, and encouraging people to possibly educate themselves on the problems at hand, and form their own opinion, whatever that may be.  Is posting about the wrong doings surrounding this whole issue, and then moving on really worse than not saying anything at all?  As long as it's genuine, then I don't think so.  I also think "mass incited hate" is too strong of a description for the general tone of this whole problem, in regards to it's social media presence.  At least from the majority of the people I follow on Twitter, I'm seeing a lot of people question things they haven't necessarily questioned before.  I'm not seeing a whole lot of, "Fuck the police!!", "kill pigs!!", and mass incited hate.