Ferguson, and other issues

CNN just showing all of the different buildings that are on fire. It's really sad seeing a community literally burn down

Meanwhile there's a silent protest going on as we speak at the police headquarters.

https://vine.co/v/OAt2EpWulla

Good protesters don't make for good ratings.

So peaceful protests are the only way to bring about change? The American Revolution was peaceful? The French Revolution was peaceful? History has shown again and again that change is brought about through violent revolution. Shit this country was founded by that. I'm not saying burning a store is the right answer. But saying they should be happy with a peaceful protest is not how significant change happens. The system is broken, burn it down and start again.

Some good points above about having to see the full spectrum of evidence before commenting on whether a jury did/didn't make the right call. Wonder if some people here have never been on a jury. It's SO hard to feel like you are holding someone's life in your hands and it's not like a test at school where you find out the correct answer when you finish.

Pretty easy to say someone got it wrong when your mind was made up before the trial started.

Some good points above about having to see the full spectrum of evidence before commenting on whether a jury did/didn't make the right call. Wonder if some people here have never been on a jury. It's SO hard to feel like you are holding someone's life in your hands and it's not like a test at school where you find out the correct answer when you finish.

Pretty easy to say someone got it wrong when your mind was made up before the trial started.

the problem is that this WASNT a trial. all they were doing was determining whether they may have been evidence that this should go to trial. he wasn't acquited like i see a lot of people saying; what they said was that 'sure, this kid died, but we don't think his family should have their day in a court of law, whatever that outcome may be.'

Hmm.  Guess we know what type of writers should NOT apply at FiveThirtyEight?  Diversity, that's for everyone else.  

http://fivethirtyeight.com/contributors/

Just to be clear: You're saying FiveThirtyEight has a history of denying qualified African-American candidates employment due to their race, correct?

A lot of the evidence has been released if anyone is interested: http://apps.stlpublicradio.org/ferguson-project/evidence.html

I don't have much to add to the discussion other than this whole thing sucks. I think the community probably has plenty of reasons to be frustrated, beyond this particular incident, and what we are seeing now is shitty. I hope they can find their way back to more constructive, meaningful forms of protest soon and god willing, make some positive changes. 

Hmm.  Guess we know what type of writers should NOT apply at FiveThirtyEight?  Diversity, that's for everyone else.  

http://fivethirtyeight.com/contributors/

so no black people = no diversity? gotcha.

also, i have no idea what the ethnicity of their staff has to do with the article i posted.