OUT NOW: Pianos Become the Teeth - Keep You (10/28/2014)

Got my clear cola a few days ago and it has the surface noise unfortunately. Just ordered the Hot Topic version, because I like it more and hope that it will have less noise. Any experiences with that one?

Also, cola is for sale so PM me if interested.

I have the hot topic variant. I've listened to it at least three times now. Pleasant experience all around. There may be some minor surface noise on a track or two but nothing that jumped out at me.

Then again, this album is so good that maybe I just missed the surface noise. I don't think so though. Glad I bought it.

Ordered the HT variant on Nov. 13. It started moving the following day. It's stopped in 5 different states since, is still 3 states away and the Fedex expected delivery says Wednesday the 26th, which used to say Tuesday. I've received records from overseas faster than this. My worry is that more stops equals higher chance of damage. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

I put off listening to this because their past recordings didn't do much for me. After deciding to go see Circa this upcoming Sunday and seeing this album on so many year end lists, I have given this a try.

Holy cow. This album is unreal. Truly spectacular stuff that will definitely be up there on my year end list. I haven't been able to listen to anything for a few days besides this.

Just FYI.

/rant

Just my opinion... All I can think about is how basic most of the music is. They have a lot more skill than they are showing here. I understand they are going for an emotional mood over a display of their technical abilities but it inevitably feels like a dumbed down effort. 

The production is not something I really get. The guitars feel subdued. There's not a lot of dynamics to work with in the first place but when the music does rise and fall, I don't feel the production reflecting it well (The last track gets close though). That's part of what I really liked about their past work. Those emotional drops and build ups. This record has its moments but I felt more underwhelmed than anything.

I think if I give it some time and just accept it for what it is, I can enjoy it in the future. Kind of curious about what they will do next.

I've said it before in here but I'll say it again. PBTT didn't interest me very much before this release. I saw them live with La Dispute right when they put out Rooms of the House and Pianos was incredible live. I still didn't love their music but I could appreciate their work and live show. This album is in my top 5 this year for sure. I didn't love it at first but after 4 or 5 full listens, it stuck. Every song flows so well to me and it has the same emotion as their previous albums just with a different approach. The lyrics from the lead singer feel like he understands more about everything he screams about in The Lack Long After and is sort of answering his own questions and processing everything more. If you're on the fence you should really just sit down with the album and the lyrics and give it another shot. It's a grower for sure.

all valid points. I plan on giving it another shot or two. It may click with me and I'd like to enjoy it. I just haven't got over my initial reaction to it.

I honestly thought it was the most disappointing release this year after first listen. Now I love it and spin it at least once a day.