Vacation in Portland, Oregon (whats fun to do?)

Hey Everyone,

So I am going to be spending some time in Portland, Oregon during the month of September and possibly October.

I want to explore EVERYTHING and decide if a move from the east coast to the west coast is in the cards for me.

I enjoy the following stuff:

- music (writing, recording, listening, etc etc)

- buying vinyl 

- eating vegetarian and vegan food

- riding my bike

- camping / hiking / any kind of wilderness exploration 

- head shops / 420 friendly activities 

- any and all things nightlife 

If you have any suggestions or recommendations I would love to hear it.  If you are a Portland local and want to hang, THATS COOL TOO!!!

hope everyone is having a great day.

xoxo

there's a pretty good thread about the portland area already, but...

record stores:

mississippi

2nd ave

music millennium

jackpot

everyday music

there's at least one i'm forgetting...

nightlife: chinatown

hit up the food carts. lots of good veg/vegan food everywhere. stop by powell's book store and pick up the zinester's guide to portland for like $8. it was pretty helpful when i first moved here.

Go to washington and eat at burgerville, powell's books is a day thing, 2nd avenue has a lot of good stuff, but i like punk/hardcore, so it may or may not be the place to check out. just realize that while portland is awesome, and you don't need a car to get anywhere in the city, jobs are kinda hard to come by. oh and hit up BIG ASS Sandwiches.. holy fuck. but a lot of the food carts are plentiful all over downtown. have fun. i wish i still lived there. it's beautiful.

Go to washington and eat at burgerville, powell's books is a day thing, 2nd avenue has a lot of good stuff, but i like punk/hardcore, so it may or may not be the place to check out. just realize that while portland is awesome, and you don't need a car to get anywhere in the city, jobs are kinda hard to come by. oh and hit up BIG ASS Sandwiches.. holy fuck. but a lot of the food carts are plentiful all over downtown. have fun. i wish i still lived there. it's beautiful.

We have Burgerville in portland too...not just Washington. I've posted in at least one of these threads so far though, that one has a bunch of good ideas, search it up!

G

Have fun! :)

There is a really cool consignment record store across the river, so still in town but kinda in the suburban area. I can't remember the name, but there are something like 30 vendors with products there, and they have everything. Lots of old concert flyers and buttons and stuff, too, if you're into that. I'll see if I can find the name.

And outside of Portland (I think) there's a small shop where the clerk smokes weed all day and plays punk, they have a lot of cool stuff. I found some East German imports there when I went in.

I think they're called Crossroads Music and Green Noise Records, respectively. Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

my trip starts this week.  SUPER STOKED ON IT

think i am going to try and get some ink done while I am there.  found this shop online called SCAPEGOAT. the artists portfolios look amazing

thanks again to everyone that suggested a place.  I plan on hitting every single spot.

Another vote for the Japanese Garden, but also consider the Pittock Mansion nearby too. Even if you don't want to spend the $10 to see the inside of the house(totally worth it), you can walk the grounds for free and the city/Mt Hood views are AWESOME.

http://pittockmansion.org/ 

my trip starts this week. SUPER STOKED ON IT

think i am going to try and get some ink done while I am there. found this shop online called SCAPEGOAT. the artists portfolios look amazing

thanks again to everyone that suggested a place. I plan on hitting every single spot.

Scapegoat is fucking awesome, but you'll have a tough time getting in there unless someone has a cancellation. Their artists are usually booked out for months.

I know I'm new to the forums and all.. But I've got a big list of restaurants/bars to check out (working on getting through it myself), and depending on what types of bars and food you're into. Most of the stuff will be spread throughout the city, so you'll need to walk a decent amount, ride the bus, rent a car, etc. to get around.  Eastside Deli (lunch/sandwiches), and Russell St. BBQ (lunch/dinner/barbecue) are just a couple restaurants for you to check out.  There's Apex (huge beer list) which has an awesome patio if you get a sunny day, Jimmy Mak's (live jazz), and the Multnomah Whiskey Library.

Obviously (maybe), good 420 scene by the way.  Tons of medical shops around the city, but you'll obviously need an OMMP card to enjoy that..  You can still source really good stuff without a card though. Mellow Mood is the premier head shop in town, imo.

There's also cool clothing shops, music shops, etc. throughout the town.  Get out, put the rain jacket on, and explore!  There's a lot to do, see, and eat without ever stepping into a "chain" type bar, restaurant, shop, etc.  Feel free to message me for more info.

Welcome.

I know I'm new to the forums and all.. But I've got a big list of restaurants/bars to check out (working on getting through it myself), and depending on what types of bars and food you're into. Most of the stuff will be spread throughout the city, so you'll need to walk a decent amount, ride the bus, rent a car, etc. to get around.  Eastside Deli (lunch/sandwiches), and Russell St. BBQ (lunch/dinner/barbecue) are just a couple restaurants for you to check out.  There's Apex (huge beer list) which has an awesome patio if you get a sunny day, Jimmy Mak's (live jazz), and the Multnomah Whiskey Library.

Obviously (maybe), good 420 scene by the way.  Tons of medical shops around the city, but you'll obviously need an OMMP card to enjoy that..  You can still source really good stuff without a card though. Mellow Mood is the premier head shop in town, imo.

There's also cool clothing shops, music shops, etc. throughout the town.  Get out, put the rain jacket on, and explore!  There's a lot to do, see, and eat without ever stepping into a "chain" type bar, restaurant, shop, etc.  Feel free to message me for more info.

Welcome.

Welcome to the board fellow Portlander (Portlandian?) I haven't tried a couple of those joints you listed, I'll have to check them out.

That said, Russell Street is solid BBQ, but Christopher's Grill(?) I think that's the name, just a bit up on MLK is better!