Vacation in Portland, Oregon (whats fun to do?)

The vegetarian festival is this weekend in Portland.

I went this morning and it was AMAZING!  highly recommend it to anyone in the area.

there is a coupon on the veg fest website for a dollar off the $8 admission.  so much free food and other free stuff.

like warped tour for vegans.

• 2 weeks later...

trip has been such a blast.  one more week left in the city and I def don't want to go back home.  Really considering a relocation to Portland.

Amazing stuff i have seen so far:

-veg/vegan fest 

-amazing public transportation (haven't driven a car in almost 3 weeks)

-voodoo donunts 

-saturday market

-got a haircut and a straight razor shave from Modern Man

-museums and art galleries 

-voltage control (all analog keyboard/ synthesizer music shop)

-ground kontrol (arcade / bar)

-bikes, bikes, bikes

-mississippi records / beacon sound records

-so many local book stores

-vegan bbq wings from fire on the mountain

-the grocery stores here are a vegans wet dream. everything local and organic and fresh.  nothing like this on the east coast

-super duper friendly people EVERYWHERE!

I still have so much left to see on the list of suggestions everyone gave me.

Pittock mansion and the gardens will be done this week, as well as The Waffle Window.  I have been saving Sizzle Pie for the end of the trip.  I am kind of a pizza addict so I don't want to burn myself out on it.

The weather has also been amazing this whole trip.  can't believe how sunny it has been lately. 

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE AWESOME SUGGESTIONS!

glad to hear you're digging it. I'm hoping to get back over there next month. Also a head's up Scapegoat isn't THAT hard to get an appointment at. While I was getting tattooed by Silje she added two walk-ins to her day after me, and some other guy working took a walk-in. It's definitely worth a shot!

Oh yeah, and if you're looking for donuts don't skip Blue Star. They rule

glad to hear you're digging it. I'm hoping to get back over there next month. Also a head's up Scapegoat isn't THAT hard to get an appointment at. While I was getting tattooed by Silje she added two walk-ins to her day after me, and some other guy working took a walk-in. It's definitely worth a shot!

Oh yeah, and if you're looking for donuts don't skip Blue Star. They rule

there is a tattoo expo this weekend. thinking of checking that out.  if I don't get ink here its not the end of the world.  something tells me I will be back :)

did you go to baby doll pizzzza???????

i have seen baby doll pizza but haven't been inside.  saving myself for sizzle pie.  

Amazing stuff i have seen so far:

-veg/vegan fest 

-amazing public transportation (haven't driven a car in almost 3 weeks)

-voodoo donunts 

-saturday market

-got a haircut and a straight razor shave from Modern Man

-museums and art galleries 

-voltage control (all analog keyboard/ synthesizer music shop)

-ground kontrol (arcade / bar)

-bikes, bikes, bikes

-mississippi records / beacon sound records

-so many local book stores

-vegan bbq wings from fire on the mountain

-the grocery stores here are a vegans wet dream. everything local and organic and fresh.  nothing like this on the east coast

-super duper friendly people EVERYWHERE!

glad you're having a good time, dude. i sifted through the thread again and have a couple of amendments to my original post from early on...

japanese garden, rose garden, pittock mansion, the whiskey library -- all solid recommendations people have made. i don't know how much time you have left. also, please tell me you've hit up the food trucks at some point. they're too plentiful, delicious and cheap (relative to their quality) to pass up. i wish i could eat at a different one for every meal every day.

restaurants that aren't food carts and have beer: deschutes and laurelwood. ugh, the food and beer, all so good. lardo, blue star donuts, kenny and zuke's in downtown are all solid as well. (obviously blue star doesn't really serve meals, but, you know. kudos to whoever mentioned it before me.)

i still vouch for 2nd avenue records. i would also just make time to simply walk up and down the streets of alberta, hawthorne and/or woodstock on the east side.

as a transplant myself, i really can't get over how much good food there is in portland. east side is best. mediterranean, cuban, spanish, southern -- you name it. actually, now that i mention it, you gotta get breakfast at the screen door. it's absolutely phenomenal. the wait for it is absurd -- literally hours -- so my girlfriend and i phone in our order and pick it up so we don't have to wait. the only downside is you miss out on the daily specials, which are usually better than the already-amazing menu.

OK! I'M DONE! KEEP ENJOYING YOUR STAY, MAN!

vacation update

PIZZA - sizzle pie was a tad over hyped.  I do think they have a sweet shop and awesome merch

baby doll was too far for my hippy legs to walk.  if it had been closer to downtown I would have def grabbed a pie

food trucks are the deal in this town.  I haven't had anything bad yet. Vegan Homegrown Smoker sandwiches have been my favorite so far.

THE BEER IN THIS TOWN IS AMAZING!  thats all i need to say about that.

This is my final weekend in town, thinking of checking out the cider festival on saturday.

wife wants to hit up Food Fight Grocery, Herbivore clothing company, and Waffle Window.

saved Monday for Pittock Mansion and Japanese Gardens. Tuesday we will hit the mountains.

Thanks again for everyones suggestions and opinions. they have helped make this the best vacation I have ever taken. 

• 5 weeks later...

If you had to pick only one record

shop to go to in PDX what would it be? I wont have a whole lot of time for digging when I'm there so I'm looking for a place with an interesting new used arrivals bin that might have a couple indie, punk or 90s stuff and a decent wall of pricier rare curated stuff.

So which should i go to? I've never been to any of them.

Thanks

record stores:

mississippi

2nd ave

music millennium

jackpot

everyday music

there's at least one i'm forgetting...

If you had to pick only one record

shop to go to in PDX what would it be? I wont have a whole lot of time for digging when I'm there so I'm looking for a place with an interesting new used arrivals bin that might have a couple indie, punk or 90s stuff and a decent wall of pricier rare curated stuff.

So which should i go to? I've never been to any of them.

Thanks

your best bet for both might be music millennium. but 2nd ave probably has the best indie/punk selection and jackpot records had a solid selection on its wall -- i say "had" because the downtown location closed, and i've never been to the southeast location.

also, full disclosure: i've never been to mississippi records, but if this looks appealing, all the power to you:

missrecs_interior2-450x337.jpg

2nd ave was the shop i purchased the most from during my three weeks in Portland.  It had the widest selection.

Mississippi was great. very eclectic selection, and an amazing vibe too.

as far as strip clubs go, I didn't visit any on my recent trip.  

i went to a place called Union Jacks once while I was on tour.  I think I remember it being pretty fun, but I am 110% positive I was under the influence of a good time ;)

enjoy PDX!