PO: Two new Mono LPs - The Last Dawn & Rays of Darkness

Went with the marble deluxe, it's hard for me to justify spending that much more for a prettier colour.  I'm getting pretty excited for this release.  I'm interested to see what the packaging is like too.  If TR is charging 30$ for a 2xLP, you know it's going to be well done.

Side note : Does anyone else always seem to have their previous order sitting in their cart when they checkout?  It happens to me every time.

Went with the marble deluxe, it's hard for me to justify spending that much more for a prettier colour.  I'm getting pretty excited for this release.  I'm interested to see what the packaging is like too.  If TR is charging 30$ for a 2xLP, you know it's going to be well done.

Side note : Does anyone else always seem to have their previous order sitting in their cart when they checkout?  It happens to me every time.

Sorry for the double post... but yes. My damaged Disintegration Loops order was still sitting in my cart.

The struggle, it's real.

It's so dumb, but it's something I'm anal about as far as accurately listing pre-orders and knowing what to expect.  It all sounds the same... but alas.  Anyway, they just confirmed with a Facebook post that each album will have a separate variant.  I suspect they had to "split" the press across two different pages because there's an option to buy each album individually.

i applaud this. IMHO their last one blew. the stream of this sounded like old Mono.

Im in it for the /1000

I'd say it blew by Mono standards... which still means it's better than a lot of post-rock out there.  I'm going to hold off on streaming the new track, but hearing you say it sounds like old Mono makes me very happy.

I've never heard or heard of this band. But I like the people posting in here so I just ordered it. 

I'll wait until it arrives to listen. Thanks guys. 

Really cool of you to take the gamble.  I really foresee this album delivering.  As far as "consensus best album" goes, I'm going to be vague and say that anything outside of their last record is so, so very solid.  I don't know how interested you are in instrumental artists, but you may want to look into our Post-VC thread.  In it, I admitted that Mono's latest album sort of tarnished their name for me, and ruined my perception of the band.  (It was extremely orchestral.)  Since I hadn't listened to their prior catalog in a long time, I recently revisited it and fell in love.  They're all incredibly enjoyable to me.  A lot of people are going to insist that Hymn For The Immortal Wind is their magnum opus... and they're probably right.  In fact, I can see the "new replies" notification pop up as I'm writing this post, and I'm willing to bet that they're all clamoring for Hymn.

But either way, the lack of orchestra on this album has me way excited.  I think it has potential to compete with their older material that I adore so much.

I saw Mono on the One Step tour and that is still one of my top 10 shows. It was unbelievably intense and draining. I have been waiting for a return to that sound, or at least closer to that. I wasn't that crazy about Hymn and didn't even listen to For My Parents (but I'm getting ready to check it out). Glad I happened to check VC today. Ordered the TRL version (because they are cheap and they rule). without a second thought.

I agree with this.  I wonder if there is a reason it hasn't happened, maybe similar to how EiTS doesn't want How Strange repressed.

I think Zorn just has no interest in pressing it and won't license it to be pressed. Would love to see Under the Pipal Tree along with Choirs of the Eye get pressed.

I find it funny that people call "For My Parents" more orchestral than "Hymn to the Immortal Wind". Only one of those albums used a full orchestra, and it's not the one you think.

I love them both. FMP is grossly underrated. ya'll trippin'

I guess it's not so much the presence of the orchestra so much as it is the utilization. I'll never forget Charlie saying "I heard Jurassic Park in there" when we were all discussing the record for the first time. It's equal parts funny and true. It's just very "scored" to my ears. Which isn't a bad thing, it's just not for me when compared to their earlier material.

It's just very "scored" to my ears. Which isn't a bad thing, it's just not for me when compared to their earlier material.

Thanks for stating that.  People confuse preference with "sucks." I'm glad MONO did that album - it's solid, even if its not only the crescendoing guitars that a lot of people want.

It's so dumb, but it's something I'm anal about as far as accurately listing pre-orders and knowing what to expect.  It all sounds the same... but alas.  Anyway, they just confirmed with a Facebook post that each album will have a separate variant.  I suspect they had to "split" the press across two different pages because there's an option to buy each album individually.

Trust me, I know, and I agree completely.

Every MONO album is nails.

FMP just wasnt to my liking...though still done very well...and yes, loads better than just any old post-rock.

i just always felt like someone should be grating my parmesan and asking me what wine i want while sitting ALL day in some italian restaurant.

i just wanted a different feeling from it, as we all are looking for that high from an album.

Guest deleted

THIS IS A PRE-ORDER! ALL ITEMS WILL SHIP ON OR AROUND OCTOBER 15! ** LIMIT TWO (2) SUPER DELUXE DIE-CUT GATEFOLD COLORED VINYL 2xLP PER CUSTOMER!

SUPER DELUXE DIE-CUT GATEFOLD COLORED VINYL 2xLP EDITION While supplies last, we are combining BOTH new MONO albums into one stunning package. Each album is in its own heavy board stock inner sleeve w/ gloss varnish, housed in a custom die-cut matte varnished gatefold jacket featuring the full 12x24-inch cover artwork by world-renowned artist, Pat Perry. As if that weren't enough, the vinyl are also custom colors designed to match the artwork: The Last Dawn disk is CLEAR w/ WHITE SMOKE STREAKS; the Rays of Darkness disk is CLEAR w/ BLACK SMOKE STREAKS. The colored vinyl is ONLY available in this special super deluxe edition. This is limited to a one-time-only numbered edition of 1,000 copies.

The Last Dawn and Rays of Darkness are a pair of new albums by MONO. Recorded simultaneously yet conceptually and creatively disparate, the two act as both opposing and complementary sides to a story. No strangers to narratives, the twin albums explore familiar themes for the band: Hope and hopelessness, love and loss, immense joy and unspeakable pain. Those elemental parts of life and the complicated relationships they create have never been more resonant through MONO's music than they are here.

The Last Dawn is the first of these two companion albums, and is the "lighter" of the two, thematically and melodically. It contains undoubtedly some ofMONO's strongest songs ever, drawing on an array of influences from minimalist film score to vintage shoegaze. It is MONO at their absolute purest, executing an uncanny, unspoken dialogue with each other without the dozens of stringed instruments that have been so prominent throughout their catalog in recent years. The songs are also noticeably more efficient – there hasn't been a MONO full-length record that fit on a single slab of vinyl since 2003's One Step More And You Die – and the album benefits immeasurably from this streamlined approach. MONO have always been masters of telling compelling stories without words. But now they've proven they can do it without frills, too.

Rays of Darkness is the first MONO album in 15 years to feature no orchestral instruments whatsoever. That fact alone is remarkable given the band's reputation for sweeping, dramatic instrumentals that recall Oscar-worthy film scores. Instead, Rays of Darkness more closely resembles a jet engine taking off inside a small, crowded auditorium. It is MONO's blackest album ever, a collection of scorched riffs, doom rhythms, and an unexpected contribution from post-hardcore pioneer Tetsu Fukagawa of Envy. The album ends with the smoldering wreckage of distorted guitars and ominous drones playing out a eulogy to the days when MONO shot blinding rays of light through seemingly endless darkness.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRR242-243_ColoredVinyl_WEB.jpg

VINYL FORMAT INCLUDES A FREE MP3 DOWNLOAD COUPON

SIDE A/B: THE LAST DAWN
1. The Land Between Tides / Glory
2. Kanata
3. Cyclone
4. Elysian Castles
5. Where We Begin
6. The Last Dawn

SIDE C/D: RAYS OF DARKNESS
1. Recoil, Ignite
2. Surrender