What's your White Whale record?

The Bronx Social Club #1 en #2.

I was able to buy them on this board but the guy send them to wrong person.

Never saw them again somewhere else.

And I don't think The Bronx III will ever be released in that boxset.

Interview in April said this summer for the boxset. All 4 LPs and. 5th LP with B-Sides. Maybe only a couple more months. I want those social club 7"s too but they turn up on eBay every now and again and aren't too expensive. Patience. 

I've never really thought about any records as "white whales," but as of late I've been trying to track down Ben Howard's 2x7" Old Pine EP. I'm super bummed because I saw that his people must've found some hidden somewhere and had them for sale on his website last week, but they're sold out now.

There have been 2 or 3 of these listed on eBay.co.uk since I posted this, but none of the sellers would ship to America. =\

My search continues.

I also wouldn't mind finding Ben Howard's Every Kingdom on cassette, but that's even harder to come by.

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man, but I think you guys have to aim a little higher or reevaluate what the definition of a "white whale" record is.

"white whale" = I'M NEVER GOING TO FUCKING FIND IT.

You know the whole Moby Dick, search your lifetime, all consuming, tortured soul thing? Yeah, that. Anything else is just a want list.

Have a great day.

Bumping this post for some truth

With the internet and sites like Discogs, eBay and so on, it makes most records easy to locate but price is more or less what puts my dream records out of reach.

Then it's not a White Whale.

I have only one. I saw it on eBay once before I knew what it was and watched it swim on by for $350. It was Arygle Park - Misguided. I learned later than it was a test pressing, 1 of 3, it never made it past the test pressing stage. 2 of the 3 have been seen, it's unknown where the third is. And I only know where the copy that was on eBay is. I actually full on stocked the guy that won the auction, tracked him down to a message board that shut down, then stocked him again to his Facebook. Knowing the rarity of the item he wasn't actually freaked out, I've offered him over $500 several times but he isn't willing to give it up yet, though he's promised me first dibs. I keep in touch, reaching out every two years or so at this point.

THAT is a white whale.

Yeah, my definition of a white whale is something that is RARE. Not just tricky to find. Not just expensive. Rare. As in, even if I had an unreasonable amount of money to offer, there just aren't any out there for sale right now because the few that exist are owned by collectors who are as crazy as me. Either because it's a crazy rare variant, a test pressing, or because most copies were destroyed.

This is like, butcher covers, demo tapes, test pressings, acetates, and shit like that. If your goals are lower, that's awesome (and good for your wallet), but I wouldn't call a $100 record that shows up on eBay once a month a "white whale."

Yeah, my definition of a white whale is something that is RARE. Not just tricky to find. Not just expensive. Rare. As in, even if I had an unreasonable amount of money to offer, there just aren't any out there for sale right now because the few that exist are owned by collectors who are as crazy as me. Either because it's a crazy rare variant, a test pressing, or because most copies were destroyed.

This is like, butcher covers, demo tapes, test pressings, acetates, and shit like that. If your goals are lower, that's awesome (and good for your wallet), but I wouldn't call a $100 record that shows up on eBay once a month a "white whale."

My hope in resurrecting this thread with a record that I've been searching for for five years that has been impossible to find was that people could share similar stories.

Here's to hoping.

I have two, er three.

All the Here, Hear's by La Dispute, and I have II and a line on III but he is china til the end of the summer so that's when I'll buy it.

So Here, Hear I

and I don't know what it's called, but Into It Over It/Evan Weiss covered a song put on a 7" for a dudes wedding and I'll probably never get that.

I was taking "white whale" to mean something you really want but can't obtain for whatever reason (rarity, money, etc). I've obviously made a grave error and for that I apologize. I keep forgetting how serious this interwebs thing is.

By that logic, when I'm broke at the end of the month, a white whale is a $10 record I can't buy because I don't have $10.

The internet isn't the problem, your definition is.

Ill never forget when I was like a junior in high school and had never bought a piece of vinyl in my life, i passed on Deja Entendu in favor of Against Me! 's "Reinventing Axl Rose". Now that I collect, i kick myself every single time i see that fucking record.

I have so many memories like that and they're SO irritating. I've had so many records in my hands that I've passed on for one reason or another that have become rare for one reason or another. 

I hate stories like that. mainly because I have my own fair share of them. A friend of mine back when I was leaving high school offered to sell me his clear Decline for $20, but I was moving at the time and wanted to save the money for rent at my new place.

And now I could sell that record and pay for a month's rent right now in the blink of an eye.