What's your White Whale record?

jakob - erfo 7"

200 pressed in '00 by crawlspace records in new zealand. never seen one for sale. been looking for 4 years, every single day.

I've contacted the band, people that helped record the album, the owner of the label and his brother, and all 8 people who have it on discogs.

no one will sell it. actually, user awesomeo4000 got one last year. not sure how, but he's an aussie so I'm sure his chances were better anyway.

at this point I'm willing to pay or trade nearly anything for it.

this is a white fucking whale.

most of my "white whales" are weird foreign stuff that i dont really expect to find. wah wah.

Daïtro - Self titled 7inch. 

Lisabö - Ezarian 2xLP

Lisabö - Ezlekuak

Suis La Lune - Self Titled 7inch

North Of America - Bayonet Point 7inch (saw it on ebay once like 5 years ago. didnt act though)

Rockets Red Glare - Redshift / Halifax 7inch

Then there are one's that I could find right now probably, but they would cost WAY too much for me to justify buying them

Red House Painters - Roller Coaster

Sigur Ros - Takk

Hum - Downward is Heavenward 

Botch - We Are The Romans (hoping with hydra head's past botch represses this will be coming out again)

I think i could realistically find a copy of Colossal's "Welcome the Problems" on vinyl someday at a fair price. I've just yet to see one.

I would love someone to reissue Harvey Danger - Where have all the Merry Makers gone? on vinyl. I don't think its ever been pressed.

The best white whale i found, was when i was in Philly to see Cap'n Jazz I stopped at a local record store. In their new arrivals I found a copy of The Plan's "Only These Movements Remain" on vinyl for 2 bucks! Amazing condition. I didn't even know it was put out on vinyl. so that was awesome.

Obviously, you're living your life by your own definitions; everybody does. But the OP, too, was incorrect in defining a 'white whale.' A white whale isn't something not pressed, nor is it something pressed that costs $50.

The OP was incorrect in starting a thread and defining what they were interested in discussing?

I guess that just doesn't make much sense to me. Why would someone else get to decide what the OP wanted the thread to be about. Are you objecting to the term "White Whale" itself? Would you rather it have said "What your 'really hard to obtain' album"? I not trying to be difficult, I just honestly don't understand what the problem is with users just listing records that are out of their reach for whatever reason.

The OP was incorrect in starting a thread and defining what they were interested in discussing?

I guess that just doesn't make much sense to me. Why would someone else get to decide what the OP wanted the thread to be about. Are you objecting to the term "White Whale" itself? Would you rather it have said "What your 'really hard to obtain' album"? I not trying to be difficult, I just honestly don't understand what the problem is with users just listing records that are out of their reach for whatever reason.

In the book Moby Dick, the main character, Captain Ahab, chased the whale Moby Dick but couldn't catch him. Moby was a white whale.

In summation, to say that something is your 'white whale,' is to say that this thing (person, record, etc) is something you chase to the point of obsession, but in the end, never get.

So, yes, the OP should have titled this thread, "What are those hard to find La Dispute releases you're craving this week but will forget about it in two years?"

In the book Moby Dick, the main character, Captain Ahab, chased the whale Moby Dick but couldn't catch him. Moby was a white whale.

In summation, to say that something is your 'white whale,' is to say that this thing (person, record, etc) is something you chase to the point of obsession, but in the end, never get.

So, yes, the OP should have titled this thread, "What are those hard to find La Dispute releases you're craving this week but will forget about it in two years?"

I'm familiar with Moby Dick. My point is that I just think the term is being used loosely and I didn't see anything wrong with that. 

To be honest, I think I'm just taking some frustration with the forum as a whole out on you. I've tried to work myself in here little by little since I joined, but it gets hard to ignore a lot of the snide remarks, corrects and judgement that go on here for seemingly no reason. 

How bout we just agree that the term means different things to different people and just leave it at that.

No to this. We can fight about what the OP "intended" - but I draw the line at changing the definition of a classic literary theme. It simply cannot mean different things to different people!

Where the hell did you see $40?! The last time I saw one for sale it was for like $100.

Maybe I'm just cheap and don't want to shell out the money for it. Either way, it's a pretty sweet record that I want in my collection :P

I feel ya brother. I'm anticipating the Format repress. It'll be my fix of Nate for the year

No to this. We can fight about what the OP "intended" - but I draw the line at changing the definition of a classic literary theme. It simply cannot mean different things to different people!

This

The title of this thread should just be changed to "Records I want but can't afford" or "Somewhat-difficult-to-find records" or something along those lines.  Actual white whales mentioned in this thread are about 5 percent or less

Crossing my fingers for it. I saw somewhere that Sam hinted/confirmed a repress is in the works. Something along the lines of "don't worry guys, it'll be easier/cheaper to get in the upcoming future."

I tweeted at him not too long ago and he said the details are all worked out, he just needs to finish up artwork!