What's your White Whale record?

Lonely Revolutions by Biffy Clyro which is a B-sides compilation from their Only Revolutions Era. I was on holiday when it dropped and sold out in 2 days, one time only pressing. Sells for about £350-£400. Even the CDs go for about £80-£100 these days (glad I got that when I did).

Likely I'll never spend that much on one item and if I did I'd probably end up going into insane collector mode and try and complete my already large collection with first imprints of their albums (which run to £100 a piece), their early 7"s (£20-£30 a piece) and then the white whale cd's they recorded when they were at college "Iname" and "Thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow" which go for £600 and £500 respectively these days. 

Overall I've resigned myself to never having these things but I still flirt with the idea.....

Lonely Revolutions by Biffy Clyro which is a B-sides compilation from their Only Revolutions Era. I was on holiday when it dropped and sold out in 2 days, one time only pressing. Sells for about £350-£400. Even the CDs go for about £80-£100 these days (glad I got that when I did).

Likely I'll never spend that much on one item and if I did I'd probably end up going into insane collector mode and try and complete my already large collection with first imprints of their albums (which run to £100 a piece), their early 7"s (£20-£30 a piece) and then the white whale cd's they recorded when they were at college "Iname" and "Thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow" which go for £600 and £500 respectively these days. 

Overall I've resigned myself to never having these things but I still flirt with the idea.....

I have the lonely revolutions CD, I can't believe it goes for that much considering it's a b-sides comp.

One of the guys at my work has original pressings of their first 3 albums.

I have the only revolutions boxset, that seems to go for a fair bit. I kind of lost interest in Biffy after Infinity Land tbh.

• 3 weeks later...

My white whale is Caspian - Tertia - Translucent Maroon - EU exclusive - /150

AND I JUST FUCKING GOT IT.

If you're a post rock fan you know what a whale this album is. Only about ten people have it out of the /150. Everyone is convinced these fell in a black hole in Europe never to be seen of again. I've only heard of it being sold once for a massive $200. I got it for almost half that. Four years of searching it's finally mine. I can't believe it.

I'm so fucking stoked. Can't wait to get it in my hands.

If you're a post rock fan you know what a whale this album is. Only about ten people have it out of the /150. Everyone is convinced these fell in a black hole in Europe never to be seen of again. I've only heard of it being sold once for a massive $200. I got it for almost half that. Four years of searching it's finally mine. I can't believe it.

Very nice! Congrats. I'm also glad to hear that you got a good deal on it.

Very nice! Congrats. I'm also glad to hear that you got a good deal on it.

Thanks, man. I honestly never thought I would get it cause I've never seen it sell, only heard of it selling once. Only ten of them are spoken for; the rest are floating in the ether somewhere. I'm just still overcome with excitement about this, and my collection being complete.

Awesome! Now onto the next one...

Type O box set. Oh I wish. One day one day

I saw one for 400 once and I regret not getting it, sucks that that's been the most reasonable price I've ever seen on it, I got the October Rust picture disc and the Dead Again boxset, so my TON collection is good for the time being, I wanna get one of the green pressings of Bloody Kisses they did though.

*sigh* still the /1500 gold version of Stereolab's 3rd album. Many copies were defective on top of it, so finding a good sounding copy is challenging and most likely $100+, in the off chance someone here has one, ill trade you pretty much anything for a nice copy

https://www.discogs.com/Stereolab-Transient-Random-Noise-Bursts-With-Announcements/release/69224

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up my white whale today.

UmRfxuN.jpg

A quick birthday story: I went to Amoeba today to do a quick browse and when I got to the back near the electronic and hip hop vinyl I glanced up at the rare record wall. Looking right back at me was the original Australian pressing of the only album The Avalanches ever put out, Since I Left You. It was my third time seeing a version of it in the wild, but I had never seen the original Aus pressing for sale in real life or online. Sleeve had a bit of wear but the disks were clean!

One of my top 10 albums of all time, I knew I had to buy it. I grimaced for a few minutes at the price, but it was too much of a cosmic coincidence for me not to get it. It appeared to me as a gift to buy myself for my birthday, and who am I to argue with the universe?

Just listened to it and it sounds immense and incredible - like hearing it for the first time again.

I've had so many and slowly obtained them

Moon Ate The Dark I+II

Nas - Illmatic (Original Pressing)

Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus (Original Pressing)

Currently I'm saving up for Binary Star - Masters of The Universe (Original Pressing) so I'm trying to find the right price. I saw they did a limited RSD release so I'm thinking this coming paycheck will go to that so I can listen to it. =]

Cloudkicker - Beacons (test press)

I have every Cloudkicker variant plus all test pressings that have been available (that I know of: Fade, Subsume, Let Yourself Be Huge, EPs, Discovery), but I have little faith I'll ever find Beacons.  I swear I heard someone on here say they have it, and I'd make monthly payments to retrieve it.  

• 4 months later...
On 11/24/2014 at 9:36 AM, Sidney Crosley said:

White whale LP:

Royal City - At Rush Hour the Cars (Canadian band, defunct label, nothing showing up on Discogs for more than a year, even CD is insanely hard to find)

I did it. I found a copy of a record I wasn't even totally sure existed. It has no cover - just a white label, and the tracklisting is handwritten. But when the first copy on Discogs in 2 years shows up, I bit right away, and it just showed up. 

IMG_7115.jpg