Upgrade advice

Hello everyone!

Another upgrade advice request...

Here is my current setup:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with Ortofon 2M Blue (Just upgraded from a 2M Red last week)

Cambridge Audio Azure 551P Phono Pre-Amp

Cambridge Audio Azure 351A Integrated Amp

Polk Audio TSi200 Bookshelf Speakers

What would you guys consider to be my weakest link? I have $400 - $500 to spend on an upgrade this weekend and I suspect it's either going to be the Pre-Amp or the Speakers.

I'm not sure if it would make a difference but I've noticed that the bass seems to be lacking a bit since upgrading to the 2M Blue, but I'm not sure if that's just a burn in issue (I have approx. 10-15 hours on it since upgrading).

Yes speakers. If you can go and listen to some before you make your choice and there always seems to be sales and deals coming and going so do your research.

Depends what your budget is but I think of the suggestions if pushed I would go Epos, not my ears or my money though.

The Wharfedale's are a very safe bet, not really Wharfdale anymore but that's not a bad thing after how they ended up.

Ask about warranty and replacement if you are thinking about anything that isn't domestic or a company that has a big coverage in the US though, there was one VC'er that bought a pair of Epos and had a real job getting them fixed when he had a problem. They are British so over here no problem with that sort of issue here but there it seems it is and I expect that would be true for a few of the more exotic brands.

There are a number of options in that price range. Some go to's are Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s for $350, 10.2s for a bit more, Epos Epic 2s for $400.

I like my Monitor Audio RX1s that I picked up for $500. Not sure if they are still available.

Thanks, I've had my eye on the Wharfedale 10.2's for quite awhile now. I'm going to see if I can find a pair in Calgary to give a listen too.

In terms of lack of bass since the upgraded cartridge. Is it possible that you need to give it a little break in time before getting a full response from it? I've noticed differing opinions on cartridge break in periods, but a lot of what I've read is that the bass can be a bit light until you've put 20-30 hours on it or more. 

New speakers are always nice regardless. 

In terms of lack of bass since the upgraded cartridge. Is it possible that you need to give it a little break in time before getting a full response from it? I've noticed differing opinions on cartridge break in periods, but a lot of what I've read is that the bass can be a bit light until you've put 20-30 hours on it or more. 

I would be surprised if the bass issue wasn't just due to the limitations of the small bookshelf speakers.  

I put another few hours on the 2M Blue last night and just now did some playing around switching between the 2M Red needle and the 2M Blue needle and I don't notice it anymore, so it must have just needed a burn in period.

Looking forward to new speakers though because it still sounds like something is limiting the potential of the 2M Blue.

Well I just picked these up...

http://www.monitoraudio.ca/products/bronze-bx/bx2/#/overview

I listened to the Diamond Wharfedale 10.1's (they didn't have a set of 10.2's) and the 10.4's and these... these definitely sounded exactly what i was looking for. Now to hook them up!

Yes, I am. Bass took a little while to come in but the mids and highs were definitely cleaner right away. I do wonder if I should have skipped the Blue and gone straight to the Bronze though... too late now!

If you do go with the 2M Blue (and currently have the 2M Red), then you only need to get the needle (slightly cheaper) because the 2M Red and 2M Blue use the same cartridge. The 2M Bronze/Black cartridge is different though.

If you go with the bronze or do not currently have the red be VERY careful taking the tone-arm wires off the cartridge, I unfortunately didn't know that little bit about the cartridges being the same at the time I upgraded and replaced the whole thing... broke one of the tiny wires at the connector and had to get the soldering kit out. What should have been a 3 second job ended up taking 3 hours after the soldering and cartridge alignment.

@PTECH,

I did a little playing around swapping the Red and Blue needles this evening and while I definitely notice a difference with the Blue (cleaner sound is the term that comes to mind) I'm not entirely sure the improved sound was worth the $225. I'm more convinced now that I should have jumped and gone with the Bronze.

Of course, it's definitely possible that the potential of the Blue is being held back by something else in the chain. The pre-amp I'm running (Cambridge Audio Azure 551P) seems to be fairly entry level, and I am also still running the stock RCA / ground cable from the TT to the pre-amp. Both of these I hope to upgrade this weekend...

If anyone has advice on a pre-amp that would pair nicely with my setup I'd love to hear it!

Pro-ject Debut Carbon TT

Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge

Cambridge Audio Azure 551P (Pre-Amp) <-- This is what I want to replace 

Cambridge Audio Azure 351A (Integrated Amp)

Monitor Audio Bronze B2 (Bookshelf Speakers) 

@PTECH,

I did a little playing around swapping the Red and Blue needles this evening and while I definitely notice a difference with the Blue (cleaner sound is the term that comes to mind) I'm not entirely sure the improved sound was worth the $225. I'm more convinced now that I should have jumped and gone with the Bronze.

Of course, it's definitely possible that the potential of the Blue is being held back by something else in the chain. The pre-amp I'm running (Cambridge Audio Azure 551P) seems to be fairly entry level, and I am also still running the stock RCA / ground cable from the TT to the pre-amp. Both of these I hope to upgrade this weekend...

If anyone has advice on a pre-amp that would pair nicely with my setup I'd love to hear it!

Pro-ject Debut Carbon TT

Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge

Cambridge Audio Azure 551P (Pre-Amp) <-- This is what I want to replace 

Cambridge Audio Azure 351A (Integrated Amp)

Monitor Audio Bronze B2 (Bookshelf Speakers) 

I have a very similar setup to you. Pro-ject Xpression III with a 2M Blue and I've got the Azur 551p as well. For me the 551p was a huge improvement over the phono stage in my old Rotel integrated amp. Do you have a budget in mind?

I've heard good things about this Graham Slee one that's for sale.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649144359-graham-amp-2-se-phono-pre-amp/

Well I've been eyeing the Bellari VP-530 and the Pro-Ject Tube Box S so my budget is somewhat high. I'd like to find something with a headphone out because I currently run my headphones through my amp but I can't help thinking it would be good to cutout the middleman.

I'm a little hesitant on the tube ones though because I've never heard them and don't quite understand what they do.