PO: Damien Rice - My Favourite Faded Fantasy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Favourite-Faded-Fantasy-VINYL/dp/B00NAOSTH4/ref=mb_oe_l/276-6681744-9131962

The 8 year wait is over, Damien Rice is coming out with a new album. There is a pre-order for the album on vinyl! Now let's hope he presses the other albums!

On one of his live albums he talks about the song "Gray Room" and how he didn't just want to write really sad shit anymore. It's dark when you're a songwriter and you get pigeonholed into writing only sad songs. It's like people expect only sad minor-key shit from him. He said he was ready to get out of that. If he makes a happy album people will be resistant to the change. Hell, I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. I'm really looking forward to this album. I've really enjoyed his past albums. 

I love Damien Rice, but I'm curious what he did for the last 8 years as far as work goes/making ends meet haha. 

He self-released "O" without any label support (just distribution), so on the conservative side he made between $8 and $10 per sale (because this was pre-iTunes, so no downloads or $.000000001 streams on Spotify.) And it sold over a million worldwide. Do the math.  :D

And that's not counting publishing... Touring... And all the money from TV and movie placement. The guy's probably sitting on a small fortune, and to his credit he didn't rush out some crap product over the last 8 years when he wasn't inspired. As far as I know he's only done charity shows and contributed tracks to various causes and such, so good for him.

"O" is one of my favorite albums of the 2000s, and the two times I saw him (the second in Nashville at the Ryman) were spellbinding shows. It has been frustrating waiting for new material, though. Hopefully he does use this occasion to release proper vinyl for O and 9. I'd gladly pay more for audiophile, 45 RPM, dead-quiet pressings.