SUMAC - The Deal (members of Isis, Baptists, Russian Circles)

codeine

Sumac is a new band consisting of core members Aaron Turner (Isis, Mamiffer, Old Man Gloom) on guitar and vocals, and Nick Yacyshyn (Baptists, Erosion, A Textbook Tragedy) on drums.  Brian Cook (Botch, Russian Circles, These Arms Are Snakes) performed bass.

SumacCover_7501.jpg

Their debut album The Deal will be co-released by Profound Lore and SIGE in Feb. 2015.  It was recorded by Mell Dettmer at Litho and Aleph in Seattle. Mixed by Kurt Ballou at God City.  Artwork will be a joint effort from Aaron Turner and Faith Coloccia.

---

Tracklist:

1. Spectral Gold  (03:26)
2. Thorn in the Lion's Paw  (09:04)
3. Hollow King  (12:26)
4. Blight's End Angel  (10:19)
5. The Deal (13:34)
6. Radiance of Being  (05:25)

---

SOURCE

I reckon there's already a thread on this, if I recall, but I'll say it again: very excited to hear this debut and what these 3 dudes are capable of creating in close proximity. Seems like a recipe for something incredible.

There is one in 'everything else' yeah.  I'll keep this updated with more information (pre-orders, etc.) whenever that comes.

I'd like to hear a song before I preorder, but I have a feeling I'll order it even if I don't.

Yeah, same here but CDs from Profound Lore are, like, $10 canadian, so there's really not much risk there. :D

I'd really like to hear a clip as well.

The album is finished and there's going to be an artwork preview soonish. A song probably closer to the album release.  Nobody likes too big of a window between song preview and album release.

I just want to hear it cause, well, just imagine the possibilities from the people involved.

Check out Nick from Baptists too guys, they have an album out on Southern Lord.  For me he's the deal draw here.  I know him from A Textbook Tragedy which is pretty different in style, (less metal/dark, more hardcore) but still great stuff and Nick actually wrote most of the songs, including guitar parts, from what I was told by another one of their members.  Not sure if he'll be writing any guitar/bass for this though.

He was also recently in the news for getting props from Dave Grohl cause Grohl saw him and proclaimed him his 'new favourite drummer.'  It's kind of funny though because even though Nick is younger and less well-known... as solid of a drummer as Grohl is Nick would eat him alive, even 10 years ago when he was pretty much still a kid.

Here's a video of a live set session with Baptists:

i had no idea that was the drummer from a textbook tragedy. their first album is so freakin under appreciated! i can't believe i just got even more excited for this!

Fuckin' right dude!  They were writing/playing Dillinger Escape Plan-style stuff as teenagers.  Everything after that was a pretty radical shift in style from the 1st album, but I think that was because there were so many DEP-ripoff bands by that point, that they wanted to tread some different ground and avoid getting lumped-in with the imitators.