Portugal The Man - Lots of questions for those who have their LPs

gmoney

I could bump every thread, but this seems much more realistic.

I recently saw them on the Honda Civic tour after getting a free ticket form the lead singer when I ran into him after running. I love Evil Friends, but couldn't get into their earlier stuff at all.

After seeing them, and then getting to go their aftershow, I've really fallen in love.

Enough back story. Question time:

Is there a pressing quality difference for The Satanic Satanist? I know it was released on color and die-cut, then re-released recently on black without die-cut (right?), and then there is the Defiance EU version. Is there a definitive version I should get if I am mainly interested in listening to this?

Are all copies of In the Mountain on white vinyl?

Did the pressing issues with The Majestic Majesty ever get fixed? Does it sound ok on vinyl now?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

I think their first three LP's are their best but that's just me. I dig Satanic Satanist and I'll have to give In The Mountain another shot but I was not immediately taken in by that one.

That said, there a few presses of all the records except the last two. I have a couple Church Mouth presses (my favorite by them) and a couple Waither: "You vultures!" presses. They're all good.

I only have two SS color first press copies and they were not perfect. A little bit of noise but nothing so bad that makes them unlistenable. There's a German press that I had a sealed copy of that actually has the die cut but I sold it so I've never heard that one either.

I think ITMITC only comes on white vinyl. I've never seen another color for it.

I think they fixed the MM problem but I don't know that you won't end up with a bad copy if you buy a new sealed copy. I don't think there was ever an official recall or anything like that.

I could bump every thread, but this seems much more realistic.

I recently saw them on the Honda Civic tour after getting a free ticket form the lead singer when I ran into him after running. I love Evil Friends, but couldn't get into their earlier stuff at all.

After seeing them, and then getting to go their aftershow, I've really fallen in love.

Enough back story. Question time:

Is there a pressing quality difference for The Satanic Satanist? I know it was released on color and die-cut, then re-released recently on black without die-cut (right?), and then there is the Defiance EU version. Is there a definitive version I should get if I am mainly interested in listening to this?

Are all copies of In the Mountain on white vinyl?

Did the pressing issues with The Majestic Majesty ever get fixed? Does it sound ok on vinyl now?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

i only own the first defiance pressing of satanic satanist but it sounds pretty great. never had a problem with it. the most definitive version would probably be the second defiance pressing which had a sturdier die-cut cover than the first one and came in 180g.

ITMITC has been released on white and black vinyl.

the majestic majesty pressing indeed has been fixed. merchnow/evr did a recall... id guess that if you order from them directly you'll most likely get the fixed version. but who knows. the second pressing was alright, not perfect but alright.

edit: i also just checked both majestic majesty pressings. the first one had no label on the records, the second one had printed labels. the jackets are the same, so if theyre sealed theres no way telling which version it is.

Get the most recent represses of Waiter and Church Mouth. They have the sweet bonus tracks from the era-appropriate 7"s on them.

I've never seen In The Mountain on anything other than white vinyl.

I own an import die cut copy of The Satanic Satanist and I'd say it sounds great, personally. Definitely looks awesome and is closer to the original artistic intent for the presentation of the artwork.

If you get a bad copy of The Majestic Majesty, I'm pretty sure you can still send it back to Equal Vision for a replacement (like I originally had to). But I'd guess if you order direct from the label, you should be good.

Sup.

ITMITC was white for the US and black for Europe.

I haven't compared any copies of satanic. That's one album I am missing most of the variants for. That and censored colors. I will compare each pressing when I get a chance. Might not be today though. Check my collection on my profile. I posted pics of every variant I have and you can see the difference on majestic majesty's labels.

I remember hearing this band on a Fearless Records sampler my freshman year of high school and pre-ordering "Waiter: You Vultures!" on CD haha. I feel like I missed out on all of the awesome presses of their albums up until I started collecting records a few years ago, I've been wanting to go back and try to get some rad variants but at this point they go for a decent price.

Anyway, glad you're a fan of them and good luck on your search! Their whole discography is great in my opinion. Also, I feel like I read that majestic majesty was a "one time" press - not sure if this applies anymore since some of them sound bad apparently, but I was under the impression they weren't going to re-issue it.