Annoying remarks on Discogs/eBay

nico

My top 3:

1. OOP: who cares? I came looking for this on Discogs/eBay in the first place instead of ordering it from the label or band.

2. Rare: Wow is it rare? Now I really want to spent 200 more dollars on that record. NOT.

3. Owned by a private collector: What does that mean in the first place, you didn't use outer sleeves and you play your records on a Crosley. You might as well point out you used your records as a place mat.

/end rant

3. Owned by a private collector: What does that mean in the first place, you didn't use outer sleeves and you play your records on a Crosley. You might as well point out you used your records as a place mat.

Lots of Discogs sellers are shop owners, aren't they? So to me, "private collector" means someone other than a shop owner (with stock on shelves in warehouses etc), or a distro or a DJ or whatever - just a collector who kept the stuff clean and neat... whether that's true or not can only be confirmed when the record arrives at your door.

I very rarely buy on eBay any more.

Free shipping to UK from US?

On certain records yeah, large distributors on ebay usually offer free postage.

For example, Bright eyes (last one I bought) was cheapest on Discogs for £10/£11 before postage (usually another £10ish) from the US. http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=3010&ev=mb&format=Vinyl

On ebay it's £11 from California with free postage (and got here in perfect condition).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Im-Wide-Awake-Its-Morning-Bright-Eyes-2005-Vinyl-New-/371105785623?pt=UK_Records&hash=item5667a0e717

If you're worried or "annoyed" by remarks and comments on Discogs & eBay listings, then you may need to reassess your priorities in life. Plenty more important and serious things to be "annoyed" by in life.

And oh yeah...

THE HOBBY!!!

For example, Bright eyes (last one I bought) was cheapest on Discogs for £10/£11 before postage (usually another £10ish) from the US. http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=3010&ev=mb&format=Vinyl

On ebay it's £11 from California with free postage (and got here in perfect condition).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Im-Wide-Awake-Its-Morning-Bright-Eyes-2005-Vinyl-New-/371105785623?pt=UK_Records&hash=item5667a0e717

Oh cool, I had no idea - thanks!

I put a bid in for a Sleater Kinney album recently and won, on the understanding that postage was £4. When the invoice came, shipping was £12 so I cancelled it. I know it's only £8 more, but c'mon.

I've seen a couple records graded VG+ but in the notes they mention how it suffers from surface noise and popping.  Doesn't that mean the grade would not be VG+?

Yep, lots of people do that.

'would be M/NM conditions but side a has bit of clicks and track 4 on b side skips twice and there is a nasty price tag on the front and it's a cut-out and a corner is dinged and there's a little, barely noticeable split seam but apart from that, yeah NM conditions''

I buy almost exclusively on amazon, it's the cheapest way to get most records in EU. When buying always check prices from marketplace sellers on amazon UK and amazon France. The same seller you linked (all your music) sells on those as well, and usually the amazon total will be even less than from their ebay store. Not always, but most of the time.

I buy almost exclusively on amazon, it's the cheapest way to get most records in EU. When buying always check prices from marketplace sellers on amazon UK and amazon France. The same seller you linked (all your music) sells on those as well, and usually the amazon total will be even less than from their ebay store. Not always, but most of the time.

Cheers for the heads up!

I always check amazon.com/ca too as for £4 postage, it can work out cheaper from there. I'm still amazed I got Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack for £11 posted to the UK from amazon.ca.

I usually only go to eBay for easily availble older records.

Discogs seems very heavily based in the US whilst ebay usually offers the same price but with free shipping to the UK.

Wish i could find this for items shipped from US to Canada.... we get absolutely raped on duties, taxes and shipping.

I find All Your Music's prices are usually identical on both (if you include the postage they charge on Amazon). Not all their records are sent from the USA, but I wonder how they make any money on many of the ones that are as postage must sometimes be more than the price they are charging for the record.

you realize that OOP has nothing to do with it being commercially available right? it has to do with whether the label is still pressing more copies or not.

I do in fact know that, but sellers use that as a reason to sell things higher I feel. (Ex. The Suicide Machines release. I bought that from you, but on Ebay or Discogs people try and take advantage). 

Sometimes.