Paypal Increases Dispute Window from 45 to 180 days

futures

I just received a "Notice of Policy Updates" from Paypal (you probably got one too) and this is really awesome:

• We're increasing the time for buyers to file merchandise disputes (Item Not Received and Significantly Not as Described) from 45 days to 180 days.

This will really help when PO's go over the 45 day limit!

Rejoice.

I agree that this is good and bad. Delivery confirmation is a must for all sellers. I just wonder what will happen if some yahoo scratches the record I sold him and he files a claim a month after he received it? What will their judgment criteria be?

This all the way. I can see someone going "oh well, at least I can get my money back! :files dispute:"

I agree that this is good and bad. Delivery confirmation is a must for all sellers. I just wonder what will happen if some yahoo scratches the record I sold him and he files a claim a month after he received it? What will their judgment criteria be?

What's to stop them from doing this now? Previously it was a 45 day window.

I'd say just keep records of stuff if you're selling records. Take a photo before you pop it in the mail.

As a seller, I hope nobody files a claim for an item I shipped 6 months ago

This is good news as a buyer, but as a seller this is worrysome for the reasons above. 

Yeah, I'm not especially keen on this. As a buyer, I just view this as a (massively) extended window that sellers can use to not ship something. I've had sellers ship something so that it arrived on day 43/45, and it's frustrating as all hell. And as a seller, I can't help but look at this as bating my breath for half a year, with everything I sell. You just know that someone, somewhere, is going to "borrow" your merch for ~6 months, only to decide it's no good. They'll get away with it because of eBay's protection. Having to issue a refund on something half a year later, completely out of the blue, sounds like a huge pain in the ass.

Yeah, I'm not especially keen on this. As a buyer, I just view this as a (massively) extended window that sellers can use to not ship something. I've had sellers ship something so that it arrived on day 43/45, and it's frustrating as all hell. And as a seller, I can't help but look at this as bating my breath for half a year, with everything I sell. You just know that someone, somewhere, is going to "borrow" your merch for ~6 months, only to decide it's no good. They'll get away with it because of eBay's protection. Having to issue a refund on something half a year later, completely out of the blue, sounds like a huge pain in the ass.

EXACTLY, well worded.