Black Friday Record Store Day 2014

Reasons people are going crazy:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy was a great film.

2. It's part of the white-hot Marvel franchise.

3. Cassettes, formerly only embraced by the DIY community, are coming around and becoming trendy again (see: Cassette Store Day, Ty Segall tapes, etc).

4. It's marketed as "limited edition."

5. It's marketed as part of Record Store Day - Black Friday.

6. The music on it isn't half bad.

7. It greatly resembles a prop from the film, so beyond the music it's a nice conversation piece.

8. It's the sort of item that got non-record collectors into stores to hunt down; record collectors are competing with casual and/or non-collectors for this item.

9. It's the first cassette Disney has manufactured since the early 90s, so I'm sure there's some crazy Disney collectors who want it just for that.

10. Groot

Your list was spot on!

I love the music, I still own and play cassettes, and of course Groot and Rocket Raccoon. 

I could sit here and make the same argument about people going ape for a record that came with a license plate or you know, go APEY over Black Friday/Record Store Day releases but I don't because everyone is allowed to go crazy for whatever they want.

Hell, I'm sitting here going ape shit for that damn 20th Anniversary Playstation system, someone got something to say about that?

Hell, I'm sitting here going ape shit for that damn 20th Anniversary Playstation system, someone got something to say about that?

I hadn't heard anything about that ps4 but that thing is baaaaad ass! It probably already sold out and I have no money for that thing anyways but damn I wish it was mine! 

I hadn't heard anything about that ps4 but that thing is baaaaad ass! It probably already sold out and I have no money for that thing anyways but damn I wish it was mine!

It hasn't gone on sale yet as far as I know. I'm totally thinking about blowing my Chrismas bonus on it.

Did you hit up Blackbyrd last Friday?  I didn't go because I knew I would spend money I didn't have.  I went in to grab a ticket for the Alvvays show tonight the other day, and asked about Death Grips.  Apparently they got one copy and the first guy in the store bought it, haha.  Manage to snag anything cool?

Yup, hit Blackbyrd for opening. Saw the Death Grips in the window but that's as close as I got, haha! Still ended up buying about 15 RSD releases - very good day! :)

Just stopped by my favorite local store, My Mind's Eye, last night for the first time since before RSD Black Friday. He still has a good chunk of exclusives left and will sell/ship over the phone. Call 216-521-6660 and ask for Charles, the owner. (I always post these lists after RSD and people are always able to get good deals through him, he prices his stuff very fairly.)

Here's what I remember seeing last night:

5 Seconds Of Summer

Aaliyah

Acacia Strain

Afghan Whigs

American Hustle

Beatles

CHVRCHES (tooooons of these)

Seth McFarlane

Miles Davis box set

Dead Milkmen

Decemberists

Faith No More (TONS of these)

Flaming Lips

Mick Foley

Game Of Thrones

Game Theory (both releases)

Genesis

Grateful Dead

Husker Du

J. Mascis

Joan Jett

Judas Priest

Korn (Paradigm Shift)

Ben Kweller

Jenny Lewis

Mastodon

Mother Love Bone

Neil Young (shirts)

New Order

Conor Oberst

Outkast

Joey Ramone

Ramones/Morrissey comp

Joe Satriani

Johnny Thunders

Type O Negative

This is just what I remember seeing; I know he has more, too. I recommend you give him a call if you're still on the hunt for anything!

New On Vinyl is the worst store ever.

I ordered the GotG tape when it was in stock, paid for it, then 10 days later received an email that they won't be able to get stock of this. Why was it then marked as "in stock"? The thing that got me riled up, they offered either a refund or a gift card, of course I went with the refund (payment was made with paypal), to which they replied "Alright, we will refund your money back in a couple of days." So now they cannot even refund me straight away? Fuck that. I understand that things like processing refunds on credit card payments can take time, but they apparently need a couple of days to press "refund" on the paypal transaction...

Just needed to vent.

Also, looking for the GotG tape.

<_<