Black Friday Record Store Day 2014

Black Friday RSD also allow online orders, which I love since I hate standing in lines.

Didn't know this. Glad I'll hopefully be able to snag that Fantomas boxset while sitting on my couch. The lines are bad enough, but the fact that it'll probably be ridiculously cold makes me even more glad I don't have to venture out.

We know... This is for us impatient folks who want to know the list now. 

Well enjoy this while it lasts, because it is going to be harder and harder to break news of releases like we've been used to.  I am not talking about releases announced through Rolling Stone or another website, or by a band directly either.  I am talking about having 75% of the confirmed releases weeks before the official list comes out, like we've been able to do previously

Apparently the folks behind RSD got their panties in a wad (again) and have flat out been threatening stores who publish or leak release info.  This hasn't been new, as this threat has been written in the solicitations for years, except now they seem to be acting upon it.

Of course, this sucks if you are a store and want to ask them, hey there is a Lee Hazelwood box that my cost is $210 on, that means I will likely have to charge around $250+ for, who would want to pay that.

So thanks to the Gestapo tactics run by RSD, stores have put in the fear of God in them.  Believe me, every time Modern Vinyl posts a link to a store that has a listing, they are fucking that store over and basically acting like a public tattle tale, even though they aren't aware they are doing it.  Because I guarantee any store that has been publicly outed listing Black Friday titles is being talked to and asked to remove it as we speak.  In addition to potentially being banned for obtaining Black Friday releases.....other punishment could mean no future RSD involvement at all and even being banned from a label for an entire year (meaning for instance, you can't get any Warner products in your store).  Pretty shitty if you ask me, but what can you do.  You have to play the game if you want the products and a select few people set the rules for everyone.

Gotta love free speech.

Well enjoy this while it lasts, because it is going to be harder and harder to break news of releases like we've been used to.  I am not talking about releases announced through Rolling Stone or another website, or by a band directly either.  I am talking about having 75% of the confirmed releases weeks before the official list comes out, like we've been able to do previously

Apparently the folks behind RSD got their panties in a wad (again) and have flat out been threatening stores who publish or leak release info.  This hasn't been new, as this threat has been written in the solicitations for years, except now they seem to be acting upon it.

Of course, this sucks if you are a store and want to ask them, hey there is a Lee Hazelwood box that my cost is $210 on, that means I will likely have to charge around $250+ for, who would want to pay that.

So thanks to the Gestapo tactics run by RSD, stores have put in the fear of God in them.  Believe me, every time Modern Vinyl posts a link to a store that has a listing, they are fucking that store over and basically acting like a public tattle tale, even though they aren't aware they are doing it.  Because I guarantee any store that has been publicly outed listing Black Friday titles is being talked to and asked to remove it as we speak.  In addition to potentially being banned for obtaining Black Friday releases.....other punishment could mean no future RSD involvement at all and even being banned from a label for an entire year (meaning for instance, you can't get any Warner products in your store).  Pretty shitty if you ask me, but what can you do.  You have to play the game if you want the products and a select few people set the rules for everyone.

Gotta love free speech.

Good. Fuck RSD. It served it's purpose and now I wish it would just die.

Then maybe the stores themselves shouldn't have put up the listing ahead of time. It's very short-sighted to blame someone like MV for posting links. They're there to serve a purpose: to disseminate news and info on records being released. They have zero ties to stores or RSD or labels. 

Calling them a "tattle tale" is a bit juvenile. If there were no MV then, someone else would have linked to the stores' early listings and thusly gotten them in trouble with the RSD people. If the RSD folks don't want listings and info out early, then they should be more strict and demanding with the info they sent out and advise these stores of this and potential repercussions. 

Then maybe the stores themselves shouldn't have put up the listing ahead of time. It's very short-sighted to blame someone like MV for posting links. They're there to serve a purpose: to disseminate news and info on records being released. They have zero ties to stores or RSD or labels. 

Calling them a "tattle tale" is a bit juvenile. If there were no MV then, someone else would have linked to the stores' early listings and thusly gotten them in trouble with the RSD people. If the RSD folks don't want listings and info out early, then they should be more strict and demanding with the info they sent out and advise these stores of this and potential repercussions. 

I think you might have misunderstood me a little.

Stores should be free to put up links (if they so choose) or try to have a dialogue with their customer base over items to order, so they aren't stuck with unsold product.  Previously, there was no issue with this.  Why there is an issue now, and why the RSD folks treat the Distribution lists like NSA Secrets I do not know.  

As I pointed out, the folks have advised the stores of the repercussions and they are severe (and are BS).  And while Modern Vinyl is completely innocent in posting information, as you point out, they are inadvertently giving the folks behind RSD the ammo to go after that store by spreading this info (so tattle tale was a little harsh, but it is a valid point).  Because it is one thing to keep a conversation on a local Facebook feed that few follow versus it becoming very public searchable information, since Modern Vinyl is a large site that is followed by a lot of those people (bands/labels/etc.) that you claim they don't have ties to.  

Some of the usual suspects (stores like Vintage Vinyl and Strictly Discs) haven't even started posting information, so you know it must be serious.  I guess the question is why now and who is really harmed by finding out information early?  Let's use the DMB Recently 2x10" EP.  Fans on antsmarching and other DMB specific sites have been excited and it has been generating a buzz.  But yet, by squashing this information and the stores ability to talk to their own customers about information is a buzz kill.

As for the release of the official list on October 20th? That does stores no good, because all of the order deadlines will be well over by then, so if a ton of customers start asking stores can you order XXX product, the answer will be:  "Not now.  We already placed an order and have to hope that we get enough to meet demand."

BTW here is an early list with prices. Not everything that's been reported on but some stuff prices so you can start working on a ballpark number.

http://www.angryyoungandpoor.com/store/pc/showsearchresults.asp?pageStyle=H&resultCnt=&keyword=Black+Friday+2014

Its assholes like this that are ruining it for everyone.

I think you might have misunderstood me a little.

Stores should be free to put up links (if they so choose) or try to have a dialogue with their customer base over items to order, so they aren't stuck with unsold product. Previously, there was no issue with this. Why there is an issue now

In regards to your "have a dialogue" angle, RSD is always like this. Stores always have to order blind, based on what they think their customers will buy. Even if a store had twenty customers say they would buy X, there's no guarantee they would get twenty copies. In a way, it also helps keep stores from running RSD preorders.

Don't get me wrong, RSD jumped the shark about three years ago, and Black Friday has always had terrible titles, but this really isn't that different than usual. RSD has stores over a barrel, and they'll do everything in their power to move all the thousands of shitty 180gm 70s represses and live albums that absolutely nobody is clamoring for.

It's just how many live albums do people need of him?

most every DMB fan will agree that live > studio by about a billion times with this band. Live Trax is a series of releases picked by the band of their favorite/most important shows so its cool to be able to get them. Since there are like 27 or so at this point I'm betting they won't release all of them on vinyl, especially since they are pressing all of their studio albums now, but either way, the more Dave on vinyl the better in my book. Also the album thats been announced for black friday isn't a live album (just an ep with some live tracks on it haha).

Just going to repost this for the "Dave" discussion

"Because he unfortunately has a rather large fan base of ravenous fans that actually purchase physical copies of his music....he's also signed to a major label who have a marketing team who is well aware of these things....Major labels are looking at making money off of their artists. Consider any DMB physical release to be fish in a barrel for a major label."--Birdwell