Amazing albums with terrible artwork.

topher

(I feel like I may have seen a thread for this topic a long time ago. Can't find it, so my bad if it's been done.)

What are some albums that you love so much, they're almost perfect... Except for the fact the cover art is horrible / ugly / boring / un-fitting, etc.?

I'm throwing out Beck's Morning Phase. Potential contender for AOTY for me, but... yeesh.

I also really hate the artwork for Brian Eno's Ambient 1: Music For Airports.

For those of you who have digital music collections, do you ever replace the artwork thumbnail with something you like better?

Does bad artwork ever get in the way of liking a record? (I know it sometimes can for me.)

Does anyone not give the slightest fuck whatsoever?

Does bad artwork ever get in the way of liking a record? (I know it sometimes can for me.)

Very unfortunate (and pretty goofy), but I've heard of this. Really well-done album art will spark my interest to check out a release, but if it's an artist I'm excited about and they reveal some horrendous art for an upcoming release, it won't deter me. (See: new Flying Lotus album.) I'm sure I own albums with covers I'm not crazy about, but none are jumping out at me, at the moment.

I've also heard of people refusing to "get into" a band because of the way the band performs, dresses, or what they choose to believe in. Seems really shallow to me, but what do I know?

Very unfortunate (and pretty goofy), but I've heard of this. Really well-done album art will spark my interest to check out a release, but if it's an artist I'm excited about and they reveal some horrendous art for an upcoming release, it won't deter me.

This is probably a better description of what I was getting at. Artwork can be a big part of what gets me into an artist, but it's not what makes me stay. If someone recommends a band I'm not familiar with, with a big discography, (like 6 or more albums) I try to start with the most critically acclaimed, but I usually just end up picking the one with the coolest cover.

I don't care so much with bands I already love. I mean, at this point, if a band like Radiohead or My Bloody Valentine released an album whose cover art was a close-up of a baboon's asshole, it probably wouldn't make any difference to me.

Here's my pick...

ANTfb.jpg

Fantastic songwriter, unfortunately the album cover is meh beyond belief. I get the whole "I want to have everyone included with the recording process on the cover" but this is just... Like some sort of 1990s Warner Bros tv show cover featured in People Magazine

I think the City and Colour - Sometimes album art is pretty ehh but that's probably just because I'm not huge on the traditional tattoo art feel, great album though! 

Also a really meh album with amazing artwork for me would be A lot Like birds - No Place, Not a terrible album but really doesn't catch me like I know Kurt Travis can, but that album art is top notch!