Amazing albums with terrible artwork.

topher

Here's my pick...

ANTfb.jpg

Fantastic songwriter, unfortunately the album cover is meh beyond belief. I get the whole "I want to have everyone included with the recording process on the cover" but this is just... Like some sort of 1990s Warner Bros tv show cover featured in People Magazine

Haha I dig it for some reason. I like it better than lysandre at least. It's really odd his solo covers are so silly whenever GIRLS album covers were all flawless.

Always hated the color scheme of this for some reason.. also have no idea what the fuck I'm looking at.

at-the-gates-terminal-spirit-disease-201

Not that their other covers were much better but this sure sums up the times: 

tumblr_lrqe0ocfio1qjc5flo1_500.jpg

I guess posting this would be putting down the rest of their covers (similar style and whatnot) but I always found this one particularly repulsive.  Love the album to death but ugh

where-you-been.jpg

Last but not least..

Prince-Lovesexy-27646.jpg

on second thought.. it's pretty amazing.

Kinda cool imo. What's the music sound like?

Mathy. I'm seeing these dudes tonight with Pinback and can't wait.

@withengineheart: I don't know why but I seriously love those crappy Dinosaur album covers/their pre-reunion aesthetic.

A few more.

Pretty much every Helmet album except Meantime and Betty. (Especially Aftertaste. Looks like a local band's demo album.)

Mogwai - The Hawk Is Howling. (Not a huge fan of this one, but most of their other stuff is good.)

Great artwork on albums I hate:

Deafheaven - Sunbather.

Coldplay - A Rush of Blood To The Head.

Muse - Origin of Symmetry and Absolution.

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell (Love 'Floyd, this album is just bad.)

King Crimson - Islands (The nebula cover is absolutely beautiful, too bad it's one of KC's worst albums.)

I always feel like the color scheme of an album trickles into the overall mood of the album. For example, This Will Destroy You's latest is perfect imo for how it makes me feel. Very dark & moody.

As much as I love Caspian's Waking Season, I'm not a fan of the dominant beige color. I feel like every variant of that album looks bad with the cover, even black. But it doesn't take away from how much I love the album.

• 2 weeks later...