Humming from a pro-ject debut carbon ..

Hey.

I got my TT a few months ago, and I guess I noticed it then too, but I lived in a quite small apartment so I couldn't really play it that loud.

After I moved and could listen to higher volumes I started noticing a consistent humming from the TT. Even when the needle is in it's holder it's always there..from mid to high volume.

I have it grounded properly..without the ground then it sounds REALLY bad even at low volumes..

Any ideas what to do? What can I test to eliminate the humming?

Have tested other Inputs on the amplifier and it's dead silent. It's only the phono-input when it's plugged in that I can hear the noise.

It's really starting to bug me..I need help :/

Also, sorry if my English is bad, but I'm from Sweden so bare with me :)

• 2 weeks later...

If everything else is grounded ok (TT to amp and amp to earth) then it could be the internal earth to the tonearm, it could be the cart (some earth one of the low signal pins and some don't) or it could be from your electrical supply.

A couple of other questions that might help

Is it a new TT or is it old?

does it do it all the time (i.e with or without the motor running)?

does it go away or change when you touch the tonearm or cart?

Hey.

I got my TT a few months ago, and I guess I noticed it then too, but I lived in a quite small apartment so I couldn't really play it that loud.

After I moved and could listen to higher volumes I started noticing a consistent humming from the TT. Even when the needle is in it's holder it's always there..from mid to high volume.

I have it grounded properly..without the ground then it sounds REALLY bad even at low volumes..

Any ideas what to do? What can I test to eliminate the humming?

Have tested other Inputs on the amplifier and it's dead silent. It's only the phono-input when it's plugged in that I can hear the noise.

It's really starting to bug me..I need help :/

Also, sorry if my English is bad, but I'm from Sweden so bare with me :)

I have had this same issue with my Pro-Ject pretty consistantly since I got it. Have had it with different receivers both with and without pre-amp and can't get rid of that hum. Very quiet, hard to hear when music is playing, but always there.

Super damned aggrivating.

I had this issue and ajxd suggested than I get a Trip-Lite Isobar power strip.... I got it and it solved my problem.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tripp-Lite-SUPER6OMNID-Suppressor-Universal/dp/B00063E98U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414274517&sr=8-1&keywords=Trip-Lite+Isobar+power+strip

Am i missing something or is this just a standard surge protection power strip?

Is this common with Debut Carbons?

Sounds like a major annoyance.

Was going for a Debut Carbon, but thinking about going with an RP1 or a MMF instead.

Seems like a more common problem in the US with the Project PSU in general as I've seen a few complaints about it but I'd go with the Rega anyway purely for the arm.