Awesome Goodwill Finds

There's always that "What if" going through my head but anymore I feel like it's not worth my time to rummage through the clutter.

The goodwills around here charge like $3 per record now. It's stupid. That said I've seen some good scores,(explosions in the sky, some other stuff) and I've scored some pretty expensive old Beatles records, got an Owen record once, some decent older punk/metal stuff). I've lucked out on a lot of other stuff besides records though. Best find was some M:tG cards that I sold for a pretty penny, and a copy of earthbound for SNES that I also sold for quite a bit after I finished with it.

While reading your post I was thinking " $3 records, this has to be in Portland."... yup

Edit: I just remembered that I scored a Nintendo DS Lite for $8.95 at a Salvation Army thriftstore. no records come to mind though.

I found a Lionel Richie album signed to a fan on the inside of the jacket's gatefold for a $1. 

Wow, that's radder than what I found: a signed Don Ho album. I used to find some decent classic rock stuff, but not recently.

My copy of Fragile by Yes is probably the nicest thing I've come across at Goodwill. Jacket looks great, and plays amazing.

ive never had any valuable scores, but did find a handful of simon & garfunkle records, and some random classic comedy albums.. altho one of my friends recently scored an original Downward Spiral, and one of the later rarer NIN records at a thrift store.

and this weekend a friend had the best score... Steve Martin - King Tut 7"

Found an incredible 90's grunge tape collection a few weeks ago for .25 a piece, that was a nice score.  I've never really "struck gold" at thrift stores, but I've found a lot of solid titles that I'm happy to add to my collection.  I appreciate a lot from the past, and have a lot of items in my collection from the 60s, 70s, 80s that I'm really glad I came across, never for more than $1 a piece.  Tons of general stuff I enjoy - YES, The Who, Simon and Garfunkel, Pete Seeger, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, etc. etc.  Some of my more favorite thrift store record finds at the moment:

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

The Beatles - Introducting...

The Beatles - Revolver

Blondie - Parallel Lines

Bob Dylan - Slow Train Coming

Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

Circle Jerks - Wonderful

Ginuwine - Pony Single

Hall And Oates - Along The Red Ledge - Clear Red Collector's Edition

Indigo Girls - Self Titled

Led Zeppelin - Coda w/ Promo gold stamp

Prince - 1999

Rainbow - Long Live Rock N Roll

Stray Cats - Built For Speed

Stray Cats - Rant N' Rave

Talking Heads - Remain In Light

Tom Waits - Blue Valentine

Tom Waits - Closing Time

Triple XXX Girls - Self Titled

WWF - The Wrestling Album

Soundtracks:

A Clockwork Orange

2001: A Space Odyssey

The Blues Brothers

The Fury

The Godfather

The Graduate

Honeysuckle Rose

How The West Was Won

Jaws

Manhattan

Smokey And The Bandit

True Grit

My girlfriend and I hit around 10 thrift stores every week/two weeks, and have been doing this for years now.  I've probably added around 150 solid records to my collection from thrifting, and always enjoy "The Dig".  More crap than anything though, always.  Doesn't matter where you are, what city you're in, how often you frequent a particular place.

• 2 months later...

I used to go pretty regularly and have gotten some cool stuff. My most interesting scores were:

The Cure - Live In Concert

The Cure - Love Song 12"

The Glove - Blue Sunshine

Also in the same stack of records as listed above was another record that I didn't recognize. When this happens I usually spotify the artist, check out a song clip and look at the related artists. I wasn't intrigued by what I heard so I put it back. It was "Kick Out The Jams" by MC5 and I regret not buying it every day. I know it's attainable for like $15 but it was in great conditioning, was an older pressing, and was only like fifty cents - and now it's one of my favorite albums.

In another score I grabbed the following:

Count Bass D - Pre-Life Crisis

Brand Nubian - Foundation 2LP

Karl Hendricks Trio - What Everyone Else Calls Fun

Miles Davis - Greatest Hits

Ray Charles - Love & Peace

Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead 12"

Bauhaus - Burning From The Inside

It was $1 each or 6 for $5. I also grabbed a 7" from this pop punk band called The Peabodys, on blue vinyl out of /500. Wasn't super into it but thought it was cool, especially for the price. 

Most recently though, I grabbed a collection of classic rock (ZZ Top, Reo Speedwagon, etc) and there was a rare french pressing of Sgt Peppers. I didn't know it at the time, I just knew it was a nice, clean copy in a protector for less than a buck - turned out I had struck gold.

I usually don't feel like digging through the stacks at Goodwill, The Family Store/Salvation Army and any other thrift stores because it's usually just stuff I wouldn't have interest in or it's destroyed. But a local thrift store sells tapes and I found a few good ones recently for my Mom since she has a cassette player in her car, lol.