Awesome Goodwill Finds

(Some managers still let you do it, no matter what Ben says. I worked at goodwill and they were fine with it for most stuff.)

I knew there had to had to be something going on. With all those records and rarely finding anything but crap, someone has to be going through this stuff. I hit up a little thrift store yesterday and found some rare jazz records that I am very happy about.

(Some managers still let you do it, no matter what Ben says. I worked at goodwill and they were fine with it for most stuff.)

Yes there may some bad apples in a bunch...but most won't. I like my job too much to risk it over something so dumb.

As far as why there isn't nirmaly good things when you go in....how often do you shop at your local store? We have some customers who are in multiple times every day....and that's who normal find the good stuff because they are constantly looking.

I remember Goodwill taking records that were slightly popular and putting them in the case up front/selling them online.

True story, one time I went into my Goodwill and they had 2 original mint Joy Division records and a couple mint original Cure records, usually worth about $30-$40, selling them for $50 and they wrote in huge black marker the prices on the covers.

I wonder how many people are watching this for the first time and now running out to Goodwill hoping to find a big score.

It's funny how many people in the comments section are talking shit to the guy and saying he's "collecting wrong" just because they only ever find Herb Alpert at Goodwill. 

I wonder how many people are watching this for the first time and now running out to Goodwill hoping to find a big score.

Funny, when I got into records in the late 90's, the only thing I shopped at for the first few years was thrift stores. And I didn't know anything about records so I was just looking for punk which is usually never there. I probably passed up some rad stuff.

The guy definitely hit a score, but I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be. I know a guy here who pulled an Andy Warhol book signed by Andy where he also drew a soup can. Went and had it appraised for 2-3K!

True.  I live in So Cal, 20 minutes outside of Hollywood, so I've conceded that every Goodwill and Red Cross within a 2 hour drive has already been pillaged by roaming packs of hip kids.  Not just for records but everything cool that one might find in a thrift shop.  I've learned to be happy with my occasional 'gold' find being a G+ ex-library copy of an early Loudon Wainwright album.  You guys plunked in the middle of nowhere have it too good.

My killer finds come from Amoeba in Hollywood.....

U2 - I Will Follow Promo 12" - Paid $4.99, sold it later on eBay for $150

U2 - Wire Promo 12" - Paid $7.99, sold it on eBay for $350 

.....and then a small indy shop in San Diego (I forgot the name) 

U2 - Bad Promo 12" - Paid $1.99, sold it on eBay for $140

and my biggest missed opportunity - Hot Topic around 1999-2000 - Nine Inch Nails THE FRAGILE for $9.99 on clearance.  I only bought one copy when they had roughly 15

My Goodwill usually just has a bunch of old disco 12"s, tons of Engelbert Humperdinck albums (???), and 80's gospel albums from big-haired trios and quartets (and *gulps* family choirs), but every now and then I'll find a stack of classical records in decent condition.

I did recently find a sealed copy of an album called Songs of Silver Dollar City, which was sold at a theme park called Silver Dollar City in Branson, Missouri in the early 1980s. Got it for 77 cents. It's probably my favorite Goodwill find to date because I'm really into theme parks as well as records, so it was a total win-win for me.

(not my pic, I haven't opened my copy yet so I grabbed this from an Amazon listing)

91yuqAfd7LL._SL1500_.jpg