Awesome Goodwill Finds

I had made a trip to the goodwill in Crystal River a while back, and I had called before and asked them if they had records, they said yes. When I got there, they had approximately 5 records on hand. 2 obscure soundtracks, an album I wasn't familiar with, and some Richard Pryor comedy albums. I purchased the Pryor records. The best reaction was the guy working the register, he was shocked I was buying them to actually listen to them. He was weird anyway.

My killer finds come from Amoeba in Hollywood.....

U2 - I Will Follow Promo 12" - Paid $4.99, sold it later on eBay for $150

U2 - Wire Promo 12" - Paid $7.99, sold it on eBay for $350 

.....and then a small indy shop in San Diego (I forgot the name) 

U2 - Bad Promo 12" - Paid $1.99, sold it on eBay for $140

and my biggest missed opportunity - Hot Topic around 1999-2000 - Nine Inch Nails THE FRAGILE for $9.99 on clearance.  I only bought one copy when they had roughly 15

Flippity-doo-da...

Found an original V2 7" of Folk Singer/Son Of A Welder by Brendan Benson (Raconteurs guy) and a Geffen 7" of Rag Doll/St. John by Aerosmith. 50 cents each, and both came in picture sleeves. Other than that, I haven't really gotten lucky.

Most of the good rock records that I see in my Goodwill (The Who, Pink Floyd) have no records inside of them and it's pretty annoying.

There's a few goodwills in San Francisco but there is one huge one downtown and you have to get there when it opens or it's picked through by 11am.

Also, these shops have taken everything "worth something" and put them in a nice glass case at this main store or placed it online. They had thriller once in a glass case with a page printed out from ebay where someone was selling it for $70. They wanted $50.

I mainly hit goodwills for Disney records. I found Song of the South LP in their bin for $1.25

For the people saying its only worth going in the morning....at least locally, that's the worst time to go.  We do not "re-stock" over night.  We continuously push out new items through out the day.  There are regular customers at every location that stand around and wait for the new items to come out.  At some point each evening we stop pushing out new items so that we can straiten the store up.  So the stuff that is stocked in the morning means it has sat there the longest and been gone through by people the whole previous day.....

Maybe not Goodwill, but the chain thrift store staff here told me they put out what's new at the end of the day, beginning of next day. They receive/price throughout the day and do restocks. But new stock is usually at closing or at opening the next day.

The good thing about them putting the "good records" (ala Beatles, Michael Jackson, etc) up in the glass case is that they know nothing about the more obscure records that tend to be worth more money.

^ Those Are all great finds / flips but... They aren't from Goodwill. I'm sure we all have many, many instances of leaving stuff at Hot Topic. I know I do! Lol.

Any chance you want to sell? Lol.

Yeah, I guess my post isn't needed in this thread. I was dealing with a bout of insomnia and wasn't paying too much attention. As far as flips go, they were not purchased with the intent of flipping. I'm a pretty die-hard U2 fan and it was very difficult to let those records go, but when my ex fiance and I broke up I needed cash to pay off the damn ring and move myself into a new place. I cut about a 4th of my collection down since I had nothing left in my savings after buying the ring. :( I hate flippers and never plan on being one anytime soon.....

I recently have picked up some audiophile classical stuff and six very cool college rock radio show programs circa 1989-90 on LP with interviews and songs with Bob Mould, Nirvana, Flaming Lips, Pixies, Pere Ubu, Stiff Little Fingers, Swans, Adrian Belew, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Red Kross, Suicide, Minor Threat and tons of other bands.  $0.49 each and all in seemingly unplayed condition.  The radio shows even came with the program notes and other paperwork for the stations to fill out and send back and a couple have flyers to photocopy and hang up around campus advertising the show content... pretty badass find!!

I recently have picked up some audiophile classical stuff and six very cool college rock radio show programs circa 1989-90 on LP with interviews and songs with Bob Mould, Nirvana, Flaming Lips, Pixies, Pere Ubu, Stiff Little Fingers, Swans, Adrian Belew, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Red Kross, Suicide, Minor Threat and tons of other bands.  $0.49 each and all in seemingly unplayed condition.  The radio shows even came with the program notes and other paperwork for the stations to fill out and send back and a couple have flyers to photocopy and hang up around campus advertising the show content... pretty badass find!!

Yo that's actually super cool!

Could you post some pictures? That's cool as shit!

Could you post some pictures? That's cool as shit!

Yeah, I plan to start an entire radio show thread at some point, but have been busy and lazy... a terrible combo.

I also recently got some badass radio shows that the Marine Corp used to give to their stations.

They're boxsets of literally 13 -14 sides of music and marine dj chatter... not sure what else cuz I haven't spent the time listening to them yet, but there is a ton of good music on there.

I have some country ones, some soul ones and some random music ones.

It's cool because it's like a snapshot in time of what the hits were at the time.

Those boxes and these college rock ones all look completely unplayed.

I would post so many more pictures on here if you didn't have to fucking upload them elsewhere first... ugh!

I plan to upload them to discogs and then decide which ones I want to sell/trade.

I'll try to remember to post them this weekend.

Not that anyone cares about CDs anymore, but tonight I found:

My Chemical Romance - I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love

Say Anything - In Defense of the Genre

Blink 182 - Untitled | teal version and pink version

Blink 182 - Enema of the State

CAKE - Fashion Nugget

What does your GW charge for them

a friend has found some "Miller Lite Concert Series" 2xlp sets that are basically concerts that were broadcasted on Westwood One shows in the 70's and 80's, from local GW's. I vaguely remember these, being in my mid 30's. Bands/Artists like Steve Winwood, Stevie Ray Vaughn, I think Aerosmith was one, etc... - I'm wondering if any of you know anything about these, because we can't find much elsewhere. I can't remember for sure, but I believe my buddy's "prize" is one with The Doors. We think these were played on radio.

Apparently he didn't, under Westwood. I'm checking now. Thanks.

Edit: yep. There are only 6 of the Miller lite versions, and my my on that Black Crowes/Robert Cray. Shit!

http://www.discogs.com/Black-Crowes-The-Robert-Cray-Westwood-One-Radio-Networks-Superstar-Concert-Series/release/5101485

Apparently he didn't, under Westwood. I'm checking now. Thanks.

Edit: yep. There are only 6 of the Miller lite versions, and my my on that Black Crowes/Robert Cray. Shit!

http://www.discogs.com/Black-Crowes-The-Robert-Cray-Westwood-One-Radio-Networks-Superstar-Concert-Series/release/5101485

Those are all pretty cool