Awesome Goodwill Finds

Not a fan but I found a semi sealed copy of Thursdays war all the time for a buck. That's the newest record I have ever seen in a goodwill.

I do find a number of old classical LPs from Nonesuch on the cheap here.

Those Nonesuch LPs are awesome. If you find any that are too weird for you, let me know! I love weird classical stuff.

The day I walk into a goodwill and there is ANY record remotely rare or good I will fully expect the world to end shortly after

I was flipping through a local Salvation Army a few weeks ago and came across a gem.

Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced 1967 MONO. This is super rare. The jacket is still in the shrink wrap. Jacket is in EX condition. I'm in shock.....then, NO LP INSIDE! D'oh! You gotta be kidding me. I looked in all the jackets in that general area thinking maybe it was in the wrong jacket. No luck. So, I own a super rare JH AYE Mono jacket but no LP. WTF. But for 99c, I couldn't just leave it there.

I found a Josh White 78rpm book no records but I bought the cover anyways I believe it was on Deccas race label.

Found Fleetwood Mac 1968 on Blue Horizon in the dollar bins at a record shop.

Buzz Martin The Singing Logger

Beatles Beatles for Sale yellow Parlaphone label for like $5 at a Salvation Army

• 1 month later...

I'm an avid thrifter and have been for almost 20 years, so I've found TONS of records (especially up until about 2004/2005) but today I had a nice score of a few newer records at a Goodwill: The Promise Rimg - 30 Degrees Everywhere and Reggie and the Full Effect - Promotional Copy...wouldn't ever expect to see those in my lifetime. Plus some classics too: Steely Dan, New Order, Morrissey, The English Beat, Toots and Maytals and a few others...

2ij5b0l.jpg

Cyberatif - Tenebrae Vision (side project of Skinny Puppy, Front Line Assembly and Einsturzende Neubauten) (import) 

King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King (1969 club edition)

I'd been after the Cyberatif LP for a while now and couldn't believe I found one at a goodwill. I'd been meaning to pick up some King Crimson stuff for years now but never got around to it (saw them open for Tool many moons ago!). Couldn't be happier with both of these for a measly $2.

I went in last friday and walked out with some audiophile opera and classical cds.

2 & 3 disc sets that come with 200 page librettos... I figured these have to worth more than 49 cents!!!!

The boxsets themselves are like 3 inches thick!!

I figured I'd rip them to educate myself and see what I can get on the bay.

I did get some stuff to keep for myself though.

A few CDs (Hum, Stereolab, Sebadoh, and some flamenco; Manitas de Plata & Strunz & Farah) and two LPs (Carmen and some weird proggy japanese new age I haven't checked out yet)

16 bucks and I stand to sell those cds sets for $10-30 each, I'm thinking.

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason I keep getting lucky at the goodwill near my work. That's the 2nd rare King Crimson LP I've found within the past few weeks. I've had no luck at all at the other goodwill's in the area.

Seems to go that way sometimes. It's weird. I have a few joints that I visit regularly in Portland and one I haven't been too in a while where I'll tell the same story again that I always tell when it comes to this kind of thing: Salvation army - Rare Magic Cards and SNES games worth about $600, got them for ~$9 total.

Goodwill is weird though, a lot of them have central sorting and stuff gets sent out, some have specific donation centers, so if someone drops off a bunch of stuff at once (like their King Crimson collection) They get set out through the week/month as they sell through stuff.

I loved/hated working at Goodwill back in the day.

Seems to go that way sometimes. It's weird. I have a few joints that I visit regularly in Portland and one I haven't been too in a while where I'll tell the same story again that I always tell when it comes to this kind of thing: Salvation army - Rare Magic Cards and SNES games worth about $600, got them for ~$9 total.

Goodwill is weird though, a lot of them have central sorting and stuff gets sent out, some have specific donation centers, so if someone drops off a bunch of stuff at once (like their King Crimson collection) They get set out through the week/month as they sell through stuff.

I loved/hated working at Goodwill back in the day.

I feel like the Goodwills in Portland are pretty badly picked over....now that there is that Goodwill auction site.  It seems like all the employees are either savvy to a ton of different markets or perhaps they just auto-google anything media-based, but I live very close to the big one in SE and I've found maybe 3 albums worth spending $4 on in the last year of randomly combing their vinyl bins.  I've never seen a turntable there worth even a second look.

My assumption is that all that stuff is cherry-picked for employee purchase or auctions before it ever hits the floor.

I feel like the Goodwills in Portland are pretty badly picked over....now that there is that Goodwill auction site.  It seems like all the employees are either savvy to a ton of different markets or perhaps they just auto-google anything media-based, but I live very close to the big one in SE and I've found maybe 3 albums worth spending $4 on in the last year of randomly combing their vinyl bins.  I've never seen a turntable there worth even a second look.

My assumption is that all that stuff is cherry-picked for employee purchase or auctions before it ever hits the floor.

Yeah, Goodwill blows for the most part anymore in Portland. $3-$4 LPs is too much. When they were $1 I'd buy stuff I'd never heard of and give it a listen. Not any more.

I pretty much only buy books and random low priced stuff that I need at GW anymore and save my fun scrounging time for Salvo.