Awesome Goodwill Finds

6 minutes ago, mmfood said:

I looked on eBay and the manual alone is worth $35. But it was a rental game so the box is actually cut to fit in a hard plastic case, so it only has the front, top and back of the box, it's like half complete lol 

Oh, yeah, I thought it was rental only but have been out of the game for too long to remember all the details of random collectibles 100%. The cut boxes aren't worth as much but some people still want them. Cool find either way 

9 hours ago, mmfood said:

I found Autobahn on cassette at Goodwill and it's perfect driving music. I haven't found any good records at Thrift shops lately but yesterday I paid .18 cents for a Yashica T4 at a Goodwill Outlet yesterday and found a CIB Indiana Jones N64 game for $10

Confession: I have never listened to Kraftwerk, but for $1 I couldn't pass up an opportunity to check then out finally. That cib game sounds sweet, even if it's not worth much in the condition it s in, those old complete games are so cool. I saw some complete Sega CD games but passed them up for some silly reason

3 hours ago, kjkenney said:

Confession: I have never listened to Kraftwerk, but for $1 I couldn't pass up an opportunity to check then out finally. That cib game sounds sweet, even if it's not worth much in the condition it s in, those old complete games are so cool. I saw some complete Sega CD games but passed them up for some silly reason

My buddy is into Kraftwerk so whenever we are on a cruise he puts them on. It's actually really interesting because after listening to a few albums I'm catching all these songs that sound familiar because rap producers sample it. If you ever want to trade that Kraftwerk LP let me know, I have some stuff I want to trade away, PM if interested. Also - use a site called pricecharting.com to look up the prices of games before you pass up on them next time! 

I don't know if this qualifies as awesome to most of y'all, but a few weeks ago, I came across a sealed copy of my favorite Christmas album (An Evening in December by First Call, an old Christian a cappella group) at the Goodwill closest to my house.

A lot of people probably wouldn't like it, especially now since it's 30 years old, but my family listened to it multiple times almost every holiday season when I was a kid. My dad lost his CD copy years ago, and I literally had no idea they'd pressed it onto vinyl, so needless to say I was ecstatic. It's one of those few albums that can make me feel hardcore nostalgia every single time I listen to it. Not even lying, I almost started tearing up when the needle hit the record and the first song started playing.

So yeah, it was a very, very awesome find for me.

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Dub said:

Not really a thrift store find, but its pretty amazing for me.  Got this sealed copy of Jimmy Page Robert Plant - No Quarter for $5 from an antique dealer.  Couldn't quite believe it.

33402552665_32f4b8015d_h.jpg

I had that CD when I was in High School. Forgot all about it. Didn't know it was available on vinyl.

My local Goodwill does this awesome thing where if they feel like a record might fetch them more money they'll look up prices online. Had a copy of The Beatles  A Hard Days Night for like $40 one time. That plus the ungodly amount of goddamn gospel records they have here in Missouri turned me off of even searching through them anymore. (I have a feeling gospel records may be a common thing at every Goodwill ever)

Honestly I don't even look at the records anymore at salvation army, savers or goodwill. Never anything good, maybe people aren't donating them as much. This one thrift shop though has good records and they had stacks of sealed goodies from the 60s/70s but all sales were final so I passed on a sealed copy of surrealistic pillow for $35. They also had Morrison hotel and some others. Hopefully someone got a good deal with those 

1 hour ago, pizza face said:

maybe people aren't donating them as much

Its this right here. I've been a Goodwill employee for the last 6 years and the quality of records donated has dropped in the last 2-3. I saw maybe one solid donation in the whole of 2016 and that was from a family donating a deceased relative's collection. Even then, the associates have been trained to send the good stuff to the online auction site.

Yep, as odd as this is to say to a vinyl collectors group...interest in records has gone up!  People are keeping their records more, other people realized value in them and are selling them personally, most of our donations are also left overs from garage sales and more people are buying them there before they get to us.  Over all donations of good records is WAY down.  Add onto that we sell items online now, so as stated above, if something is worth big money we are going to list it online for a larger audience and not just give it away for $.50 in store.  Sure some good records will still slip by, or some worker won't know what they are doing and over price a copy of Thriller...but over all I would guess you will find fewer big scores in goodwill.  

I would recommend going out to estate sales or yard sales on the weekends...I personally have way better luck there!!

54 minutes ago, dnl said:

If anyone is interested in a head scratcher, just look at the prices these records sell for online: ShopGoodwill

I'm always surprised when I look through the auction site. Its like the people bidding there have never heard of Discogs. Lucky for Goodwill though.

Our target market at Shopgoodwill does not have much cross over at all with customers on Discogs.  

I rarely go to Goodwill anymore for records either.  I suppose I'll share a little secret, if you really wanna find good records go to garage sales and estate sales.   I have had some really amazing finds.  A lot of people just assume they are junk.  For example one sale I found the guy had all his records for 25 cents.  I walked away with a box of almost immaculate records for about $12. - Beatles, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Doors, Classic Rock and Jazz.  I've had a ton of good scores.

Yeah, record buying at goodwills is extremely hit and mostly miss these days but I have got a few really great finds recently so I still go here and there.

A few weeks ago I walked into this one that is owned by some local church and I guess someone dropped off a big collection and they were saying between two people they bought 100+ records that all looked brand new.. Then I went to a goodwill a few days later and as I walk towards the records I see a guy leaving with a good 15-20 records in his arms ahha.. So frustrating when that happens knowing how rare good finds are.

wbBSWqe.jpg

Decided to look through the records at Savers after posting in this thread and found this with some custom artwork. Wish I got a better picture with more zoom capabilities but I only took a picture to send to a friend. Basically the first dude on the bike farted and everyone behind him was complaining. It was rather funny but then I realized it was just a 45 rpm single. If it was the full album I would've been all over it. 

I've found much the same for more than a year now at my local goodwill and salvation army stores, including stores that I've stopped at during my travels.

I know for sure that shop owners pick over whatever records do still get donated, as well as travelling to the estate/garage sales in the area.

They also buy whatever halfway decent equipment is available, which used to just sit forever on thrift store shelves, to put in their stores for a significant mark-up.

It's not all doom and gloom, kids. 

Story time: Fall last year, I arrived at a local thrift store 30 minutes after a junk store owner beat me to usual place I go. He had a cart FILLED with records, probably 100+. I was just floored. I looked in the cart. Later but good pressings of Miles and Coltrane. Stuff I could use. At this point, LP's were all $1.99 each. Kicking myself for having a job that made it inconvenient to be at thrift stores when they opened, I just drooled. He said, "I scored." Yeah, no kidding.
But I check out what's left. Found a Coleman Hawkins first pressing "Hawk Flies High" ($100 nowadays, but use to go for more). So I keep looking. Came across a few things that were cool, but not amazing. Finally, found a weird Brazilian artist I wasn't familiar with. Grabbed it because it just looked ... different. Turns out it was a super rare jazz record. Sold it for $800 to a person in Japan. I can't be sure, but I would bet there's no way junk store man found anything that good.

http://www.popsike.com/VictorVitor-Assis-Brasil-Desenhos-LP-Forma-FE-1017-STEREO-Brazil-1966-RARE/331956804909.html

• 1 year later...

Doo Wop 12"

Miami 12"

Just the Two of Us 12"

Satsfy You (Puff Daddy) 12"

Bad Boy Greatest hits 2x12" 

And the winner:

NIN Perfect Drug Mixes Disc #2 with Plug and Aphrodite remixes (would've loved disc 1)

Note: all look unplayed, but the sleeves have obviously been shelved/stored since the 90s/00s

40552136_10205576907538170_5438030716791

Edited by Fowty Dollaz

7 hours ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

Doo Wop 12"

Miami 12"

Just the Two of Us 12"

Satsfy You (Puff Daddy) 12"

Bad Boy Greatest hits 2x12" 

And the winner:

NIN Perfect Drug Mixes Disc #2 with Plug and Aphrodite remixes (would've loved disc 1)

Note: all look unplayed, but the sleeves have obviously been shelved/stored since the 90s/00s

40552136_10205576907538170_5438030716791

That's awesome! Love those DJ Goodwill finds! I found a crateful of Sugarhill Gang 12" singles