Best spots to snag a milk crate!

(If this is already a thread, my bad.)

I've always wanted to have milk crates for my vinyl. Not only is it good to place vinyl in, but it's convenient for moving vinyl around when the need to do so arises, but I didn't want to look online because I'm sure the shipping on one isn't too cheap.

What are the best ways to aquire some?

Do you buy them online or find them laying around and just pick it up and take it with you?

Is it illegal to take them from certain spots?

(I ask this because I have no idea if someone can get in trouble for taking one. While it doesn't sound likely, you never know.)

I just snagged one a couple minutes ago outside of a local gas station and decided why not? No one around, so just took it.

behind walmart (serious answer).

no. it's not illegal (if it is do it anyway, its a fucking milk crate for fucks sake) uhm. or ask a local shop if they have any to spare. seriously dude, just take em if you see em, but make sure they're the right size!

This is a good one, I need to hit up my local Walmart now.

And yeah, I doubt they'd overreact over a milk crate. I have wanted to ask just to be on the safe side, but if I just see one, I'm taking it for sure.

I just ask (and made this) mainly for people looking to get a milk crate quickly if they needed to.

This is a good one, I need to hit up my local Walmart now.

And yeah, I doubt they'd overreact over a milk crate. I have wanted to ask just to be on the safe side, but if I just see one, I'm taking it for sure.

I just ask (and made this) mainly for people looking to get a milk crate quickly if they needed to.

just do you brother, i've taken some. ive asked for some. no one gives a shit. staying on the safe side is good (but then again who gives a shit about 25cents worth of plastic?) if they're outside, take em. if they're not, ask for em.

make sure to wear a cape!

http://modernfarmer.com/2013/08/illegal-use-milk-crates-anything-besides-milk/

Theft of milk crates, as it turns out, is an issue taken very, very seriously by the dairy industry. The International Dairy Foods Association (IDFA), which runs a whole website devoted to public education on the issues of milk crate misuse, estimates that dairy companies lose 20 million milk crates a year to theft. At about $4 per crate, that’s an $80 million loss per year.

Who knew!

Seeeee???

Good to know!

But I feel like if I was caught by an employee taking one from behind the store, he'd be like

".......*shrugs* eh".

Like, I don't think a random employer would really care, but I'd be nervous if I was caught by a supervisor or something along those lines.

Seeeee???

Good to know!

But I feel like if I was caught by an employee taking one from behind the store, he'd be like

".......*shrugs* eh".

Like, I don't think a random employer would really care, but I'd be nervous if I was caught by a supervisor or something along those lines.

To be fair 99.9% people wouldn't care at all.

However it only takes on guy with a badge who's on a power trip to cause you hassle. Just pick a youngish guy who wouldn't care at all and go for it.

Also if you wear a high vis (fluorescent jacket) then you can pretty much do and take whatever you want and nobody questions it ever.

Having worked in a grocery store back in college I can tell you that they don't like to give them away. I was even tight with one of the dairy dudes and he only gave me like 4 or 5 when they switched distributors one time. It's kind of a check in check out system and one that they apparently do take very seriously.

Also important to note that distributors to most major grocery stores changed the size of milk crates a while back and they don't fit LPs anymore. Great for 10"s though.

Edit: But all chain grocery stores treat their employees like shit and are total assholes so if the opportunity arises take as many milk crates as you can as long as you want them for something other than LPs.

i have the undeniable pleasure of working for a wal-mart....

anyway, the crates are owned by the dairy distributors and when the milk is stocked the empty ones just get stacked on to a pallet, shrunk wrapped, and left outside for the milk vendors to take back. once it's left outside, you'll be hell bent to find an associate who gives a shit.

management ends up using it for storage in the warehouse portion of the store even though they are explicitly not supposed to.

tl;dr take them from wal-mart

Behind any and all major supermarkets. A few have found their way to my home from Publix. Also plenty at Winn-Dixie. 

What's interesting is that it's illegal to take them from the stores. No idea why. I asked my brother as he used to work at Publix for a few years and he told me yeah but he has no idea why though. 

Behind any and all major supermarkets. A few have found their way to my home from Publix. Also plenty at Winn-Dixie. 

What's interesting is that it's illegal to take them from the stores. No idea why. I asked my brother as he used to work at Publix for a few years and he told me yeah but he has no idea why though. 

Winn-Dixie? I thought all of those closed up? They closed here years ago in Charleston, SC and some of their products made their way to Bi-Lo stores.