Musicians Who Write Books

I just responded in the thread about the new book from John Darnielle (the Mountain Goats). I'm a pretty avid reader in general, and I am always curious to see how musicians can take their songwriting craft into writing a book (that is not specifically about being a musician). Here's my brief list of books I've read by people who are otherwise musicians. For now, it's predominantly fiction, but please add your own (and your thoughts about the books if you'd like).

Josh Ritter - Bright's Passage

(love the songwriter, book was very beautifully written, but a bit boring)

John Darnielle [Mountain Goats] - Wolf In White Van

(great read - fits in with his oeuvre of music, as well as standing out on its own)

Joe Pernice [Pernice Brothers, Scud Mountain Boys] - It Feels So Good When I Stop

(loved this book; seems a bit overwritten at times, but well structured and enjoyable)

Frank Portman [a.k.a. Dr. Frank of Mr. T Experience] - King Dork

(hilarious and engaging book for young adults; relive your awkward teenage experience including making up as many bands with friends as possible)

Colin Meloy [Decemberists] - Let It Be by the Replacements (33 1/3 series)

(by far the worst book I've read in the 33 1/3 series; self-indulgent and poorly written)

Dave Bidini [Rheostatics] - On a Cold Road / Writing Gordon Lightfoot

(I like his non-fiction writing more than his music; a really talented writer)

I'm sure there are a whole lot more. What have you read?

Larry Livermore [The Lookouts, The Potatomen] - Spy Rock Memories

(Autobiography about the life of Lookout! Records founder and the years he lived on Spy Rock Mountain in Northern California. Cover's a lot about the Berkeley punk scene but not the main focus of the book. Fun read, especially if you grew up in or around that period of Bay Area punk.)

Larry Livermore [The Lookouts, The Potatomen] - Spy Rock Memories

(Autobiography about the life of Lookout! Records founder and the years he lived on Spy Rock Mountain in Northern California. Cover's a lot about the Berkeley punk scene but not the main focus of the book. Fun read, especially if you grew up in or around that period of Bay Area punk.)

I've been in and out of Sacramento a ton lately. How damn good is Temple Coffee? I'm coming back in December so I will get shop recommendations this time around. 

Steve Earle - I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive

Amazing novel about a doctor in the American south who lost his medical licence for giving out morphine/self addiction. Now he makes his living performing abortions for prostitutes. Oh yeah, and he's haunted by the ghost of Hank Williams.

Colin Meloy also wrote the Wildwood trilogy of which I read the first book and it was the biggest Narnia ripoff I've ever read.

Tim Kinsella also has a couple of books but they are pretty spastic and all over the place in my opinion.

I've been in and out of Sacramento a ton lately. How damn good is Temple Coffee? I'm coming back in December so I will get shop recommendations this time around. 

I wish I could agree with you, but I don't drink coffee.

We have quite a few joints that make their own around here, and my wife, who loves her some coffee, could probably hook me up with some places to recommend to you.

Greg Graffin of Bad Religion - Anarchy Evolution: Faith, Science, and Bad Religion in a World Without God.

It's part BR/GG biography and part GG's philosophy which (unsurprisingly) doesn't involve believing in God.

I expected to find some amusing Amazon reviews, but they are all sensible and objective and probably written by fans.

SCK PCK:

http://snckpck.com/

https://snckpck.bandcamp.com/album/cool-vibes

RADDDDD - 2012
RADDDDD is a 120 page poetry / short story / illustration book. It's a book you can pick up anytime and then read it for 30-40 seconds and feel great instantly!

SLIME DOG YOU ARE MY FRIEND - 2013
slime dog you are my friend is a collection of 16 poems. published march 13, 2013. it is my first freely available collection of poems that i want to spread out to as many people as possible, for free. thank you to all my friends for supporting me to make this possible.

STAYIN' POSITIVE - 2013
STAYIN' POSITIVE is a motivational pocket book. Pull out this book whenever you are feeling down or just need a quick boost! No matter what page you turn to positive vibes will be shining so bright!!

MY LIFE WILL END AND SO WILL YOURS SO KISS ME ANYTIME - 2014
this is a book filled with drawings, love poems, and stories. it is written by me and my girlfriend jenny!! every page is totally different and cute!!!
*THIS BOOK IS REALLY CUTE

A SWIM THROUGH SPACE - 2013
A Swim Through Space is a children's book about the story of the most happy bottle nosed dolphin in the whole ocean, Dolphin boy! He lives in the great barrier reef and explores the ocean with his friend Larry the sea turtle and Bernard the blue whale. One day by a certain chain of events Dolphin Boy meets Space Girl where they go on the most exciting journey through space.