PO: Circa Survive - Descensus (11/24/14)

After one listen all the way through:

• Children of the Desert and Always Begin were a little underwhelming and forgettable to me.
  • I felt Nestling Dolls and Descensus both built up to very little, Descensus especially.
  • Holy shit Sovereign Circles is great; and I really enjoyed Phantom & Quiet Down.
  • While I felt it had an anticlimactic end, I did really love Nestling Dolls.

Only one listen through + I'm pretty sleepy; looking forward to listening to this all day tomorrow.

After one listen all the way through:

• Children of the Desert and Always Begin were a little underwhelming and forgettable to me.
  • I felt Nestling Dolls and Descensus both built up to very little, Descensus especially.
  • Holy shit Sovereign Circles is great; and I really enjoyed Phantom & Quiet Down.
  • While I felt it had an anticlimactic end, I did really love Nestling Dolls.

Only one listen through + I'm pretty sleepy; looking forward to listening to this all day tomorrow.

I just finished my first listen as well and I completely agree. My favorite tracks right now are by far Quiet Down and Phantom. The only song that I felt was a bit of a let down was Descensus. After the first 3 minutes it just felt like there was not a lot put into it. It is the only one I'd consider a bit boring.

Every single one of these tracks has AMAZING parts in them, but as an entire track...seem lost. Do that for an entire album and it just gets really forgettable and anticlimactic as someone previously stated.

I don't see them having an identity anymore. While most would say Circa is expanding/exploring their sound, I think they're lost. Trying to explore TOO much instead of honing and perfecting a sound.

Maybe I'm just jaded because I miss that swagger from the Juturna days.

This album rules, idk what you guys are talking about.

Edit: I love the build up to Descensus

I'm in the same boat as you. I really love this album even just after a few listens. Nesting dolls, quiet down and always begin are just incredible tracks. I mean, I love juturna and OLG as much as everyone else but they are different people now with different inspirations, influences and perspectives. I really think they killed it with this album and wouldn't want them to write the same album twice or anything like it. I think that's why they've always been one of my favorite bands, every album has so much variety to choose from.

I got a copy of the Hot Topic vinyl today.

It's actually clear w/ blue and white splatter. It looks really nice, I'll post pics later.

Was looking forward to that white/blue swirl. Better than the bumblebee variant still.

Got an advance of the album today and I'm loving it so far. 

I don't know whether this is a mistake or if they put the extras from the cancelled orders up, but the test press bundle is back up in the store. Cross your fingers and act fast.

https://killermerch.com/artist/Circa%20Survive/Circa%20Survive%20-%20Descensus%20Pre-Order%20Bundle%2010

Available stock is -4 lol