PO: Circa Survive - Descensus (11/24/14)

Violent Waves is so underrated imo. I hated it at first too, but once i sat down and listened to it, it really grew on me. It's great. 

I honestly think On Letting Go is their weakest album if i had to put them in order. 

This album perfectly fuses all of their strengths from their discography. 

After a couple more listens Descensus is still my least favorite song, right behind Child of the Desert. It spends a solid 6 minutes going nowhere after 3 minutes of kinda decent song. I still find Always Begin pretty uninteresting and underwhelming, but aside from those three songs I'm really enjoying this record.

I expected too much with people mentioning that it would be their best since Juturna and their most aggressive record yet.

As of right now for me: Juturna>OLG>BSN>Descensus=VW

Violent Waves is so underrated imo. I hated it at first too, but once i sat down and listened to it, it really grew on me. It's great.

This album perfectly fuses all of their strengths from their discography. 

I agree on VW. I didn't hate it at first but I had the typical not as good as Juturna attitude. But over time and listening different songs began to stick out at me, it was pretty awesome. At first it was the first 5 or so songs, then a little later the back half of the album really resonated. Circa is one of those bands where I will enjoy a song, but then a while later after I've heard the song a ton I'll turn it on I just hear things I've never heard before.

After a couple more listens Descensus is still my least favorite song, right behind Child of the Desert. It spends a solid 6 minutes going nowhere after 3 minutes of kinda decent song. I still find Always Begin pretty uninteresting and underwhelming, but aside from those three songs I'm really enjoying this record.

I expected too much with people mentioning that it would be their best since Juturna and their most aggressive record yet.

As of right now for me: Juturna>OLG>BSN>Descensus=VW

That's literally what I said about Descensus. The first 3 minutes were pretty good, then it just flat lines and never comes back. But I don't think the album is bad by any means. I am quite pleased with it overall :D

I loved Violent Waves the first time I heard it and I still do. I'm must be the only one haha.

I think the thing is that VW is so different from Circa's style. It's so low key, they don't show any aggression. It's cool that they're doing a whole 180 it feels like with Descensus. But not a bad thing. Birth of the Economic Hitman, Suitcase, and Brother Song are jams.

Need to hear Descencsus. Holding off from listening until I get my bumblebeeee though. 

Need to hear Descencsus. Holding off from listening until I get my bumblebeeee though. 

This is exactly how I feel about it. I don't really want to listen to it until my copy arrives and I can fully appreciate the album as a whole.

Personally, I don't have any problems with any of the Circa albums. They all have their own special elements that make them good, but nothing will ever hold a place in my heart quite like Juturna and On Letting Go. Those are the ones I am most emotionally attached to. 

Personally, I don't have any problems with any of the Circa albums. They all have their own special elements that make them good, but nothing will ever hold a place in my heart quite like Juturna and On Letting Go. Those are the ones I am most emotionally attached to. 

I concur with all that! I think this new album might be their most accessable by new listeners due to how melodic the instrumentation is. and tony doesnt come off as "cheesy/corny" as I felt he did in BSN 

This is exactly how I feel about it. I don't really want to listen to it until my copy arrives and I can fully appreciate the album as a whole.

This.  I listened to the one single and got hyped, but waiting on my "bumblebee" as well to sit down and soak it all in.

I as well love all the albums. I followed Anthony from Saosin to Circa and remember seeing them in like 2004 or 2005 in Orlando at The Social, which holds like 200 people.  I remembered they opened up with "In Fear and Faith" and shit sent chills down my spine it was so good.  People like to talk shit about Violent Waves, but I love that album.  "The Lottery" I think is one of their best songs from VW and from what I can tell it seems like the new album has more of that vibe going on.

This.  I listened to the one single and got hyped, but waiting on my "bumblebee" as well to sit down and soak it all in.

I as well love all the albums. I followed Anthony from Saosin to Circa and remember seeing them in like 2004 or 2005 in Orlando at The Social, which holds like 200 people.  I remembered they opened up with "In Fear and Faith" and shit sent chills down my spine it was so good.  People like to talk shit about Violent Waves, but I love that album.  "The Lottery" I think is one of their best songs from VW and from what I can tell it seems like the new album has more of that vibe going on.

Great venue. Seen many great shows there over the last 10 years.

I loved Violent Waves, I don't really get the hate, to be honest.  The Lottery is such a good song, but I also love Geoff Rickly's voice.

Eagerly waiting for my yellow/black variant to show up, and ecstatic that my lady bought us a pair of tickets for the final show of the tour at Union Transfer.
Does anyone have pictures of the current merch table? My buddy Paul Granese designed a few tees for them, I'm wondering if they're gonna show up on this tour.