PO: Circa Survive - Descensus (11/24/14)

Do you just have a cached version of their site still or is something going on with mine? I click your link and it's still a dead link, probably from them hiding all the vinyl on their site still.

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Circa+Survive+-+Descensus+Vinyl+LP+Hot+Topic+Exclusive-10299847.jsp

I don't think Travis ever said the splatter was strictly limited to 1,000 pieces. He's avoided saying stuff like this for a while now.

It's like if a band presses 500 black copies of an album for their first press, sells out, then decides to press 500 more on black. Are you really going to give them shit over something like that? Nope.

I agree with you randy and thank you for the well written response. However, something that says LIMITED EDITION clearly online, when its actually UNLIMITED, there is no excuse for. Its not travis fault I am just stating in general. 

Except it will still be limited, it's not like they are going to keep repressing this specific variant over and over. 2000 is still a limited amount, however people like me who missed out the first time now have an opportunity to get it without paying crazy ebay prices.

I can understand the frustration here. Edition numbers/variants (in relation to exclusivity) do matter to collectors and true fans who feel like they own something that is rare of a band they appreciate. 

On the other hand, the second set of the Hot Topic variant is nice for Circa Survive fans who want this record and can now pay retail price for it vs. the flippers price on eBay. 

I do agree that it should have been a different variant though. 

I can understand the frustration here. Edition numbers/variants (in relation to exclusivity) do matter to collectors and true fans who feel like they own something that is rare of a band they appreciate.

On the other hand, the second set of the Hot Topic variant is nice for Circa Survive fans who want this record and can now pay retail price for it vs. the flippers price on eBay.

I do agree that it should have been a different variant though.

IF YOU DONT CARE ABOUT THE NUMBERS THEN YOU ARE NOT A TRUE FAN!!!!!

give me a fucking break

IF YOU DONT CARE ABOUT THE NUMBERS THEN YOU ARE NOT A TRUE FAN!!!!!

give me a fucking break

Lololol, wow. Grow up, Peter Pan. I simply said I can understand the frustration that die hard fans or collectors feel. Never once did I say if you don't care about the variant numbers then you're not a true fan. 

It's people like you who fuel the fire of arguments by putting words in other people's mouth. Chill out and realize you can be understanding of others concerns and not just your own. 

I collected vinyl for about 2-3 years before even getting a turntable. And, Its cool that they are re-pressing more but it really should have been a different color. The first 1000 were suppose to be limited. Why not take the opportunity of pressing more to do a different color and not water down the rarity of the previously "limited" version.

Wouldnt it be super annoying if say they released a record limited to 50 and you were lucky enough to score one after searching stores or waiting online all day for the drop, then a month later they say "Hey, since you liked the limited item we released, heres more, and now its not limited!". Black pressings with unlimited pressings are for people who dont care about the rarity, just the music. The colors are for people who like collecting something different along with the music.

Cannot disagree more with people hating on this HT repress. There is no integrity issue. Never was stated that it wouldn't be repressed. You should be happy that more fans get to own a cool album.

I have a complete circa collection and I've gone out of my way a few times to get stuff I needed. That was my choice. I understand that next week it could be repressed and then I'll be the idiot who spent $80 on a 7". That's life, haha.

I collected vinyl for about 2-3 years before even getting a turntable. And, Its cool that they are re-pressing more but it really should have been a different color. The first 1000 were suppose to be limited. Why not take the opportunity of pressing more to do a different color and not water down the rarity of the previously "limited" version.

Wouldnt it be super annoying if say they released a record limited to 50 and you were lucky enough to score one after searching stores or waiting online all day for the drop, then a month later they say "Hey, since you liked the limited item we released, heres more, and now its not limited!". Black pressings with unlimited pressings are for people who dont care about the rarity, just the music. The colors are for people who like collecting something different along with the music.

It's still limited, though, just not as limited.

Cannot disagree more with people hating on this HT repress. There is no integrity issue. Never was stated that it wouldn't be repressed. You should be happy that more fans get to own a cool album.

I have a complete circa collection and I've gone out of my way a few times to get stuff I needed. That was my choice. I understand that next week it could be repressed and then I'll be the idiot who spent $80 on a 7". That's life, haha.

I don't think the problem is they are repressing it, the problem is they are pressing the exact same variant. And I don't even see it as a problem, It just doesn't make much sense to me to not change up the color scheme when you're repressing. You're now limiting the sales of this vinyl to 1,000 people who didn't previously own it. Which is cool, but those people could go buy the black (seemingly unlimited) pressing if all they wanted was the music. You get the color variants because you're a collector. Why exclude an entire group of people who would have potentially bought this album a second time if it was a different color variant? Just seems like a strange business decision to me. 

/1000

Also that doesn't give the impression that the first run is /1000 and that there will be another /1000 later making /2000. That to me and i am sure others, means a pressing of /1000. I understand travis usually avoids giving pressing information, but usually when he does that is somewhat accurate. 

Also that doesn't give the impression that the first run is /1000 and that there will be another /1000 later making /2000. That to me and i am sure others, means a pressing of /1000. I understand travis usually avoids giving pressing information, but usually when he does that is somewhat accurate. 

I don't get it, are you mad you can't spend MORE money on a new variant?

but how did it affect you when that number changed from 1000 to 2000? 

I don't get it, are you mad you can't spend MORE money on a new variant?

I will apply it to another medium so you shallow minded people can understand it better. I have a Jacob Bannon artwork framed in my office called "death comes Brightly" numbered 1/50. Now i know there are a shitload of people who want this piece and its way more than the 50 pressed. I would be pissed as shit if just because people wanted more, Jacob said, "hey i printed an additional 100." That is completely unethical and completely unprofessional. He should print a similar one or a completely new one that fans of that one will like. Its just flooding the market for no reason. You cannot say that edition sizes don't matter or are stupid, because there are complete industries that 100% rely on saying this is LIMITED with only X printed. There have been countless lawsuits of artists printing over the edition size to make additional money for popular images. THAT IS WHY IT MATTERS! 

I will apply it to another medium so you shallow minded people can understand it better. I have a Jacob Bannon artwork framed in my office called "death comes Brightly" numbered 1/50. Now i know there are a shitload of people who want this piece and its way more than the 50 pressed. I would be pissed as shit if just because people wanted more, Jacob said, "hey i printed an additional 100." That is completely unethical and completely unprofessional. He should print a similar one or a completely new one that fans of that one will like. Its just flooding the market for no reason. You cannot say that edition sizes don't matter or are stupid, because there are complete industries that 100% rely on saying this is LIMITED with only X printed. There have been countless lawsuits of artists printing over the edition size to make additional money for popular images. THAT IS WHY IT MATTERS! 

That is specifically limited and numbered to /50, and advertised as such. That's the difference here, these were never specifically limited to /1000, there were just 1000 pressed in the first pressing.

We get it. You don't agree with what is happening, but you're trying to create false equivalencies with the examples you're using.

That is specifically limited and numbered to /50, and advertised as such. That's the difference here, these were never specifically limited to /1000, there were just 1000 pressed in the first pressing.

We get it. You don't agree with what is happening, but you're trying to create false equivalencies with the examples you're using.

Well said!

Mass record manufacturing is a whole different ball game compared to prints and even "numbered prints" Different rules apply. 

This: