DC Cinematic Universe Thread

On 8/9/2016 at 8:29 PM, thefavoriteplay said:

Frankly, I'm kind of mad about the creative decisions around this Joker. Should all of my thug-Joker hate rest on David Ayer? Was thug-Joker solely his design? 

Seriously, Joker is a gangster up in the club.

What?! I've been bummed as soon as I saw the first images of the character design. Or when they announced Leto was playing him. Whatever came first. Joker/ Leto was super underwhelming. At least Robbie, Smith, and Davis did pretty well.

BvS was okay, the extended cut definitely improves it some. SS was meh. It kind of felt like a stepping stone to introduce more characters into the universe rather than it being it's own movie. 

DC has such great characters and stories. I'm honestly confused how they could be having this much trouble making some good films. These should be like printing money. Everyone loves Batman, Superman, Joker, Harley, etc. WB needs their own Joss Wheden that understands how both comics and films work haha. 

At least Wonder Woman and Justice League look good. 

Edited by anthemforadoomed

14 hours ago, marc32137 said:

Lol what are they suing for? 600 miles of gas money and the theater tickets? Definitely seems worth the trouble. Dude's lawyer brother must not be taking on many new clients.

Saw Suicide Squad tonight finally.  I enjoyed it.  I'm so completely indifferent on Joker though.  Like... I can't even tell if he did well or not, if that makes sense?  I almost have no opinion.  And I really wasn't a fan of that "laugh."  Felt so incredibly forced.

The movie as a whole wasn't bad though.  Like I think someone mentioned before, the "jokes" felt so forced to me as well.  But other than that, it was good to kick back and just have fun with the rest of it.

17 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Nah, I don't think so.  Superman and Batman stories are so well known, they can introduce WW back story right before JL, and do the cyborg/aquaman/FLASH stories right after JL.  

So you're saying that they should do Cyborg, Aquaman, and Flash's origins stories AFTER Justic League?  I mean, they totally could, I'm just confused as to why they would do that.  I'm not saying that origin stories are absolutely necessary, it just doesn't make sense to me timeline wise.

Cause at least with Marvel, all of the main characters (for the most part) have gotten origin stories before the big team ups.  It just makes more sense to me to do it that way.

I'm not saying one way is better than the other, I just love DC so much and want to see them start doing as well as Marvel is (movie wise).

On 10/16/2014 at 10:18 PM, Jesus Of Suburbia said:

This thread is sort of a spin-off of Will's thread for the MCU. Here we can discuss the movies coming up in DC's slate of releases for their shared universe.

List of already released films:

Man of Steel - June 14th, 2013

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - March 25th, 2016 

Suicide Squad - August 5th, 2016

Here's a list of the upcoming movies and their release dates...

Wonder Woman - June 2nd, 2017

Justice League - November 17th, 2017

The Flash - March 16th, 2018

Aquaman - July 27th, 2018

Untitled Film - October 5th, 2018

Shazam - April 5th, 2019

Untitled Justice League Sequel - June 14th, 2019

New Untitled Film - November 5th, 2019

Cyborg - April 3rd, 2020

Green Lantern Corps - June 19th, 2020

As a Marvel fan mostly I am pretty excited for these movies so what do you guys think about all of these movies coming up?

OP has the list right, this makes sense to me

There have been talks about a JL movie for years... I think the problem was having Nolan's Batman universe for eight years. It's kinda like on the Arrow TV show, I'm sure they would have done a ton more Suicide Squad episodes, but when they announced a standalone Squad movie, they killed off Waller/Lawton/etc. (in the show) to prevent confusions. At least I think that's what I read. But yeah, DC/WB seems like they are trying to play catch up to now, and I don't think that's bad.

And of course, DC/WB would probably get a lot of hate for "trying to copy Marvel" if they did solo films leading up to a big group film. I think DC is doing well for a superhero franchise, people in general need to stop being so critical on every aspect of a movie.

Also, just guessing, but the two "untitled" solo films, might be the solo Batman and Man of Steel sequels. Maybe. Reading some rumors of the Batman one being like the Arkham Asylum video game sounds awesome! Also, it seemed to be confirmed that the dead Robin (his graffiti-ed suit in BvS) was Jason Todd... that could make for an interesting movie or backstory... or something...

Saw it with the wife last night. Wasn't expecting much, but it wasn't the steaming pile of crap I thought it would be. The joker was almost offensively bad, but I didn't mind the squad too much. Will Smith was in prime action movie Will Smith form and I really enjoyed Harley. Some lame jokes, but overall I thought the team dynamic was as good as it could have been with such a rushed setup. What got me most was, as others have said, the pacing. It felt so chopped up, especially at the beginning. Those character introductions- woof. I also have so much unreasonable dislike for the Viola Davis, I can't explain it. I have to wonder if the joker would have been better with more context. Read something where Leto said they shot almost enough joker material to be a standalone, yet he was only in the movie for like 5 mins. All in all, looking forward to the new dc universe. 

Another rushed Dc flick. They threw tons of characters in with little back story. Likes the Joker, but hated the laugh, felt forced. Hated the stupid mutant people and the CG bad guy was terrible. I did think it was a fun movie though. Just no where near as good as Civil War or any other Marvel movie from the last few years! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2016 at 7:49 PM, No This Is Patrick said:

So Ben Affleck posted a video from the set of Justice League...

or if you just want a screenshot:

Reveal hidden contents

riigopyho5vhnwjwvbn6.png

I thought he would be a JL baddie, but an inside source claims he'll be the main villain in the solo Batman film. I'm pretty stoked!

I'm still kind of indifferent about this.

12 minutes ago, No This Is Patrick said:

Interesting... especially since the director was satisfied with what he released. Still, I'm looking forward to it.

I'll still watch it, but the movie really wasn't the best, but it wasn't the worst either. 

18 hours ago, THE_James_Champ said:

I'm still kind of indifferent about this.

I'll still watch it, but the movie really wasn't the best, but it wasn't the worst either. 

Really? I really like his character. I mean, I'm not a huge comic book nerd (I do kinda want to get more into it though), but from what I've seen from him in the Arkham games, Arrow, a few animated movies... I just think he's a cool villain.

And I can understand. I do wish the DC movies would get more credit though, they really aren't that bad hahaha (imo).

10 minutes ago, No This Is Patrick said:

Really? I really like his character. I mean, I'm not a huge comic book nerd (I do kinda want to get more into it though), but from what I've seen from him in the Arkham games, Arrow, a few animated movies... I just think he's a cool villain.

And I can understand. I do wish the DC movies would get more credit though, they really aren't that bad hahaha (imo).

It's not the character, so much as the actor they got to play him. 

2 hours ago, THE_James_Champ said:

It's not the character, so much as the actor they got to play him. 

Agreed, the actor sucks but I'm not sure the villain will matter in this movie. I think they just needed a buff actor that could string a sentence together. Ben Affleck isn't going to live his dreams of being The Batman by writing(/directing/producing/?) his own movie and then allowing the villain to be actually cool and outshine his Batman.