DC Cinematic Universe Thread

Thoughts on the ending:

If they want to make the world so realistic in the DCCU, how come no one besides our heroes realizes that both Clark and Superman are dead and look so surprisingly alike haha. I was shocked that Perry didn't piece together at the end. Comic logic amirite? And did they really need to show Supes coming back already? If you're going to do the Death of Superman and Return arc, you have to stick with the fact that Superman is super dead. No hinting at he's alive since we all know Justice League will bring him back.

This honestly feels so comparable to Amazing Spiderman 2 in terms of rushed ideas, weak villains, meh story, and attempts to set up a larger world.

I just walked out of the theater.

I have no clue how I feel. Visually, thematically it was fantastic. Score is phenomenal but a little too quite. Cinematography is top notch.

As comic book fan, Im questioning. The kid in me is ecstatic. 

That said, pay no attention to any of the critics. They're all idiots. I kept reading "its too dark" and its not colorful or its "humorless" among a sea of other stupid opinions. The critics very much dont understand the material or why it is that way. Duh. This isn't the Avengers. Just go see it.

I think the rated R version will be A LOT better. 

I feel though:

Batman and Wonder woman absolutely steal the show. Best Batman to grace the screen. Critics saying that its worse than Batman & Robin can go fuck themselves. A'lex'ander or this 'Lex' is not what I wanted. Jesse was fine but his mannerisms and acting tries too hard to be the Joker. Also an after scenes credit would have been better than forcing the other JL members in video clips and dreams.

I've seen it twice now. Monday night and last night. The first time I enjoyed it, but it was a lot to take in. The second viewing, it seemed slightly more cohesive and I liked it a bit more. It suffers in the same way Age of Ultron suffers, in that it's so overstuffed, it never has time to breathe. Almost every scene is important to the story. I've been a Batman fan my entire life, never cared about Superman all that much, so I don't really care how his characters are handled. More thoughts in the spoilers below.

Lex, I thought he was portrayed just fine. He is Lex Jr., he says that (in a round about way) in his first scene. Because I'm unfamiliar with him, I had no expectations of the character.

How does Superman fly with a Kryptonite spear when he could barely retrieve it from the water? This is my biggest gripe with the movie.

My second major issue with the movie is "martha" that was weak.

I really love that this is a Batman that has been around for years, and his world seems well lived in...

Except for Gotham City. Usually Gotham plays a part, has a very specific tone to it and becomes a character on its own. Not at all here.

If Batman has existed for so long, how is he just now making news headlines? Specifically with branding the guy , I think the news report says its the second guy he has apprehended.

Whatever, I liked it. I'll go see it again. I'm sick of all the Marvel fanboys on my facebook feed bashing it.

I think he was Lex Luthor, not Lex Jr. His IMDB doesn't have him listed as a Jr. He definitely referenced his father. I guess I'd have to watch again very closely to see exactly what he says.

The Clark/Superman thing is just part of the story. If they gave him a mask, the fanboys would go apeshit (remember when they went nuts because Spidey was given organic web-shooters in the first Tobey film?).

And while I understand the inconsistency with the spear, the exact effect of Kryptonite on Superman is something the writers use to their advantage with the character. I just took it as he is able to power through it when his adrenaline is pumping. It was nowhere near as bad as Routh lifting a kryptonite filled mountain..

So I see your points, they just didn't hurt the movie for me. I think when you are "into it" things like this don't bother you. If it never sucks you in, they become glaring.

I think he was Lex Luthor, not Lex Jr. His IMDB doesn't have him listed as a Jr. He definitely referenced his father. I guess I'd have to watch again very closely to see exactly what he says.

The Clark/Superman thing is just part of the story. If they gave him a mask, the fanboys would go apeshit (remember when they went nuts because Spidey was given organic web-shooters in the first Tobey film?).

And while I understand the inconsistency with the spear, the exact effect of Kryptonite on Superman is something the writers use to their advantage with the character. I just took it as he is able to power through it when his adrenaline is pumping. It was nowhere near as bad as Routh lifting a kryptonite filled mountain..

So I see your points, they just didn't hurt the movie for me. I think when you are "into it" things like this don't bother you. If it never sucks you in, they become glaring.

*tag above post as spoiler*?

I've seen numerous articles dating back to last October stating that he officially is Jr.

The spear and Martha both were moments where I was totally on board and "into it" and instantly it took me out of it.

Can I also say that Snyder pulled a Michael Bay on us with the out-of-place bathtub scene with Lois and Clark? Pretty sure some young people are pretty psyched about Amy Adams now.

Indeed. Also,

Is anyone else annoyed by the fact that Superman and Batman became friends just because their moms have the same name? There was no building of their friendship at all, yet Bruce seemed pretty beat up about Clark's "death". Ugh. I know the significance of Batman realizing that Superman/Clark were more human than he thought but still. Why couldn't they have teamed up for the greater good then go back to hating eachother? Nothing changed! That shit was so stupid.

Indeed. Also,

Is anyone else annoyed by the fact that Superman and Batman became friends just because their moms have the same name? There was no building of their friendship at all, yet Bruce seemed pretty beat up about Clark's "death". Ugh. I know the significance of Batman realizing that Superman/Clark were more human than he thought but still. Why couldn't they have teamed up for the greater good then go back to hating eachother? Nothing changed! That shit was so stupid.

It might have happened had Clark not taken a dirt nap. Seriously the fact that they're going into JL with the return of Superman as well is mind-boggling. Don't you actually want to save some of those comic storylines for an actual Man of Steel sequel? But no, they have to throw in Doomsday and waste him then and there. They pretty much pulled a Spider-Man 3.

It's 3am here, just getting in from seeing it and we need another point of view (not really but) so here is mine...

6.5/10

Here's why

Overall it was...Meh (unfortunately). It's not as bad as everyone is saying but it was definitely lacking is a few areas. Just because it was meh, doesn't mean it wasn't good, because it was good, it just wasn't great aka live up to the hype. Without spoiling anything here's my good and bad.

Good: Affleck as batman was the best thing about it. Oh and i did like how they introduced the characters of the future justice league movie. Also, I did enjoy the cinematography (even though it seems everyone hates the director), for example the beginning with the iconic killing of Bruce's parents and the moms pearls being broke. Also, batmans fight scene where he has to save someone towards the end was awesome. Batman has got brutal with his punishment. I did like Alfred in this movie, he is a more "hands on" Alfred which is cool but like everyone is saying, the physical age difference between the actors playing Alfred and Bruce were off. So basically the best thing about this movie is...Batman.

Bad: it's very jumbled. They could have cut some stuff out and got to the point or made it 2 movies. You definitely can understand the plot but a lot is left out. Also the turning point for batman and superman was super rushed, example, I hate you and you hate me, but just like that we are friends (for a stupid reason as to a name). Another thing is, I DID NOT LIKE WONDER WOMAN. I've seen a lot about how she is about the best thing in it but nope. Don't like the suit and don't like the accent. As I have known wonder woman to be red white and blue (with some yellow obviously) but basically straight American. Oh and doomsday was wack.

Maybe I was too hyped for this or just wasn't as good as it should have been, but give me a trilogy of Affleck batman, and I'll be happy.

* Jesse as lex was also meh. Not great not bad just ok.

Also did anyone notice...(if this as been pointed out sorry, it's too late to go back and read everything)

Chris pine in the picture with wonder woman from 1918, who is obviously in the woman wonder solo movie

It's 3am here, just getting in from seeing it and we need another point of view (not really but) so here is mine...

6.5/10

Here's why

Overall it was...Meh (unfortunately). It's not as bad as everyone is saying but it was definitely lacking is a few areas. Just because it was meh, doesn't mean it wasn't good, because it was good, it just wasn't great aka live up to the hype. Without spoiling anything here's my good and bad.

Good: Affleck as batman was the best thing about it. Oh and i did like how they introduced the characters of the future justice league movie. Also, I did enjoy the cinematography (even though it seems everyone hates the director), for example the beginning with the iconic killing of Bruce's parents and the moms pearls being broke. Also, batmans fight scene where he has to save someone towards the end was awesome. Batman has got brutal with his punishment. I did like Alfred in this movie, he is a more "hands on" Alfred which is cool but like everyone is saying, the physical age difference between the actors playing Alfred and Bruce were off. So basically the best thing about this movie is...Batman.

Bad: it's very jumbled. They could have cut some stuff out and got to the point or made it 2 movies. You definitely can understand the plot but a lot is left out. Also the turning point for batman and superman was super rushed, example, I hate you and you hate me, but just like that we are friends (for a stupid reason as to a name). Another thing is, I DID NOT LIKE WONDER WOMAN. I've seen a lot about how she is about the best thing in it but nope. Don't like the suit and don't like the accent. As I have known wonder woman to be red white and blue (with some yellow obviously) but basically straight American. Oh and doomsday was wack.

Maybe I was too hyped for this or just wasn't as good as it should have been, but give me a trilogy of Affleck batman, and I'll be happy.

* Jesse as lex was also meh. Not great not bad just ok.

Also did anyone notice...(if this as been pointed out sorry, it's too late to go back and read everything)

Chris pine in the picture with wonder woman from 1918, who is obviously in the woman wonder solo movie

Crazy we pretty much agree on everything lol

Wonder Woman has never been American though. She adapted to american culture, hence the costume, but she's from Paradise Island, and I'm actually all for the accent. And Chris Pine is playing Steve Trevor in the WW movie.

Right, I get she's from a different place but I was just going on how she has been previously been played. Which this may be more correct?

Right, I get she's from a different place but I was just going on how she has been previously been played. Which this may be more correct?

More or less subject to who is writing her, as I see it. I'm alright with this iteration, I'm looking forward to the solo movie, too. Get that back story!

I didn't even notice Pine in the photograph.

Can someone explain the dream sequence? The one with the you know (bzz)

Like is it just him thinking that Superman will bring all these things to earth or what idk maybe I'm dumb and they're just nightmares. Idk.

Yea, that's what I got from it. Basically his dream is, this is what's going to happen if he doesn't stop superman.

Can we all agree that Suicide Squad looks awesome as fuck. I was moderately excited for BvS but I am off the charts for Suicide Sqaud. Everything they've show has been great and David Ayer is a perfect fit.

I really hate to be that guy, but I'm actually expecting even less from SS than I did for BvS. Not because I'd want that, but because what the very first images hinted at has only been reinforced by every subsequently released material. I have zero bias or affection towards either (actually any comic book material) as I've never been into comics, so my excitement (or lack thereof) stems from simply evaluating the presented imagery, vision, characterization, dialogue, delivery and other aspects of filmmaking that can be observed or at least estimated from the couple-second clips seen in the trailers. While I expected BvS to be a mess for probably a year now, SS looks like a whole other level of unintentional campiness as a result of failing at an attempt to be serious and cool in the eyes of the tumblr generation.

Can we all agree that Suicide Squad looks awesome as fuck. I was moderately excited for BvS but I am off the charts for Suicide Sqaud. Everything they've show has been great and David Ayer is a perfect fit.

No. At this point, the movie looks like a shitty way to force the joker into an already messy cinematic universe. Some of the character designs are so awful (The Joker and his shitty tattoos. WTF?) and the lack of The Riddler in a suicide squad movie is dumb. Just like BvS, id love to be surprised, but I'm worried. 

I think another thing that hurt BvS is introducing a new batman in a superman movie. While I've always wanted to see batman and superman together on screen, one of the things that makes batman the best is his incredible enemies. Watching Batman fight Superman enemies is cool for a crossover episode but it's not how this Batman should've been introduced. 

Likewise, I don't have much confidence for The Joker in a non-Batman movie. 

yes, I've heard he makes a cameo

My confidence in WB/DC is so low right now. One thing I've noticed that ruined the 1989-1997 batman franchise was that one of the differences of WB and marvel is that WB tries so hard to get the biggest actors to play their biggest roles. (Clooney/Kilmer/Carrey/Lee Jones/Schwarzenegger/Silverstone (at the time). That's part of what made TDK trilogy work so well.

Christian Bale was not nearly as well known as Kilmer or Clooney, though while still relatively well-known he was not known for any specific part. He allowed you to see him as Batman/Bruce Wayne. Same goes for Heath Ledger. You didn't see Heath Ledger on screen, you saw The Joker.

Marvel seemed to take a note from Nolan's Batman trilogy by placing arguably B-List actors in the lead roles; Robert Downey Jr. (in 2008), Edward Norton, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, etc. And at the time of casting had more well known actors and actresses in supporting roles: Jeff Bridges, Gwyneth Paltrow, Tommy Lee Jones, Samuel L Jackson, Scarlett Johanson, Anthony Hopkins, Natalie Portman, etc.

While Ben Affleck surprised me as Bruce/Batman, his casting was the first sign that WB was starting to call back old obsolete strategies. WB is starting to once again operate under the false idea that 'box office stars' are a real thing. There once was a time that putting Will Smith in your movie was a guaranteed hit; then Hancock happened. And in a post-After Earth world, they still cast him in Suicide Squad.