PO: The Offspring "Americana"

Yes, the Offspring was considered punk when this album came out. I don't know if you'd classify it by today standards, probably just more alternative rock or something. But back then, this was for sure punk rock. 

I would politely disagree. I would have definitely called it radio alternative rock as opposed to punk offerings of that time period. Not that it was bad, necessarily, I just felt it was more alternative rock. All-in-all neither of our opinions matter. If you like(d) it or hate(d) it, it's not going to change the fact that it existed. Personally I like(d) it. It's no S/T, but it'll do.

I loved this album when it first came out but it definitely was not punk. The best punk album of 1998 was Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come... And if were going to compare the 2 bands, The Offspring was radio friendly alternative rock.

*Edit: As stated below by kjkenny I can get behind the notion that they were the frontrunners on the pop-punk movement with Green Day, The Get Up Kids, Face to Face, etc.

I'm bad at this argument and I hate to start it, so I'll just ask you other VCers: Is The Offspring (this album specifically) punk?

Offspring yes, I would say totally. They were one of he frontrunners of the "second wave", basically pop friendly punk, with the returned commercial interest in "punk" in the '90's; all hail Epitaph! That being said, Green Day was considered part of the same movement and this album is about as punk, imo, as Green Day's recent discography, I couldn't continue past 'Warning'. 'Americana' and forward all blended together for me, and I never really retained interest in them in recent years. I totally rocked this and 'Conspiracy of One' when they came out, but they remain suppressed in my musical history. 

Offspring yes, I would say totally. They were one of he frontrunners of the "second wave", basically pop friendly punk, with the returned commercial interest in "punk" in the '90's; all hail Epitaph! That being said, Green Day was considered part of the same movement and this album is about as punk, imo, as Green Day's recent discography, I couldn't continue past 'Warning'. 'Americana' and forward all blended together for me, and I never really retained interest in them in recent years. I totally rocked this and 'Conspiracy of One' when they came out, but they remain suppressed in my musical history.

I liked Conspiracy Of One, but it may have one of the worst album covers ever.

Got my Red copy via BullMoose.

I'm seeing on eBay that the red copies are /1000. Any validity towards that? Wondering if the indie store exclusive version of Ben Folds Five reissue that was done via ORG not too long ago is also /1000

Offspring is /1000. The orange BFF was /600. BFF went so quickly that we asked ORG to make more copies of Americana. It's nice to see that so many people are happy with these records. 

I was a big Offspring fan back when this album came up.  I remember people having the punk argument on AOL Chat rooms (That's right).  To me it never really mattered whether they were "punk" or not.  I just liked their music.  I tended to lean more towards not punk, more alternative.  Especially this album.  But that's just my opinion.  

punk

pəNGk/

noun

noun: punk rock

1. 1.

NORTH AMERICANinformal

a worthless person (often used as a general term of abuse).

• a criminal or hoodlum.

• USderogatory

(in prison slang) a passive male homosexual.

• an inexperienced young person; a novice.

2. 2.

a loud, fast-moving, and aggressive form of rock music, popular in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

• an admirer or player of punk rock, typically characterized by colored spiked hair and clothing decorated with safety pins or zippers.

noun: punk rocker; plural noun: punk rockers

I was a big Offspring fan back when this album came up. I remember people having the punk argument on AOL Chat rooms (That's right). To me it never really mattered whether they were "punk" or not. I just liked their music. I tended to lean more towards not punk, more alternative. Especially this album. But that's just my opinion.

I was like nine when this came out, and it was definitely a gateway into punk music for me. I always kinda thought this was their final punk rock album, though.

i know there's a very niche "pop punk" sound these days, but i think the offspring are very authentically pop punk. i also think that "no brakes" (and maybe "have you ever") singlehandedly introduced me to more hardcore-induced pop punk with the quick tempos and syncopated drumming. and i was nine. we can argue all you want about how "hardcore" those songs are, and i am very aware that they're not, but they have elements that opened my eyes (ears) to the kinds of music i would ultimately grow up listening to and loving. so i owe a lot to this album.

I was like nine when this came out, and it was definitely a gateway into punk music for me. I always kinda thought this was their final punk rock album, though.

aka basically what brad said

• 3 years later...