One Plus One Invites

So, you apparently need an "invite" to spend a bunch of money on a cellphone? Marketing genius or completely frickin' ridiculous? I need to start a new campaign where you need to get an invite to send me $5 for nothing. People are such sheep I could get rich.

That's not necessarily the point of these devices, it allows individuals to 'build' a device specific to their needs at a consumer friendly price. You get a high end device you can take to any (gsm) carrier and and avoid contracts/paying top dollar for a name brand device that may not have everything you want (screen quality, processor, etc etc). It's invite only because the company isn't ready for a hard launch right now.

Yeah but the cost of a record and the cost of a smartphone are very very different, albeit the smartphone market may be larger it's also solely ran by multimillion dollar corporations that make it seem like a $200 device with a contract is beneficial when the consumer still pays for the device (and then some) over the span of said contract.

I honestly think you're reading too far into their invite-only soft launch. The only coverage they get is from Android-centric news blogs and even then it's never overhyped. If they're successful then eventually anyone can get a high-end device at a reasonable price and pay for off contract service (which is cheaper since you're not paying a subsidy fee), if they fail nothing changes. Mobile services are grossly overpriced and the major providers are absolutely not looking out for the consumer's best interests, we should welcome all disruptors to this brutally competitive market especially when it could help us all save some coin.

• 2 months later...

I was thinking about jumping on the smartphone boat and this totally seems like something I'd be into. If there happens to be a third invite out there, I'd be interested!