PO: Switchfoot - The Beautiful Letdown

Oh yeah, Switchfoot is kinda terrible, but this album was rotated constantly by me when it first came out... and it really is well done (for what it is), buddy from Mortal was probably featured most prominently on this album and it added an atmosphere that was very unique (to the genre).  And the involvement of Daniel Victor (of Neverending White Lights) is always a plus (and probably what tipped this from a waffle-buy to a must-buy, if I'm being honest with myself).

Oh yeah, Switchfoot is kinda terrible, but this album was rotated constantly by me when it first came out... and it really is well done (for what it is), buddy from Mortal was probably featured most prominently on this album and it added an atmosphere that was very unique (to the genre).  And the involvement of Daniel Victor (of Neverending White Lights) is always a plus (and probably what tipped this from a waffle-buy to a must-buy, if I'm being honest with myself).

What did Buddy from Mortal add to the album?

(had to look his name), Jerome Fontamillas, one half of Mortal, involved in projects like The Echoing Green and Fold Zandura as well.  He did Guitar, Keyboards, and backing vocals on this album.

I was mainly referring to his contributions via keyboard.  He's been on again off again with the band, it looks like he was on Beautiful Letdown, Hello Hurricane, and Fading West He's been with the band since The Beautiful Letdown, which (I think) most prominently displayed his contribution to the band (I haven't listened to anything since 'Oh! Gravity.').

(had to look his name), Jerome Fontamillas, one half of Mortal, involved in projects like The Echoing Green and Fold Zandura as well.  He did Guitar, Keyboards, and backing vocals on this album.

I was mainly referring to his contributions via keyboard.  He's been on again off again with the band, it looks like he was on Beautiful Letdown, Hello Hurricane, and Fading West He's been with the band since The Beautiful Letdown, which (I think) most prominently displayed his contribution to the band (I haven't listened to anything since 'Oh! Gravity.').

OH Jerome!  Well yeah lol, guy's been around for a long time with Switchfoot.  

Not in this specific case, but yes, I get it. If Jason Martin all of sudden joined Radiohead, I would start buying Radiohead albums. But it's nice to see guys in bands I liked as teenagers grow into professional musicians and get the opportunity to do what they love and get paid for it handsomely (I assume).

Also, since we share an affinity for many bands, I did like some Fold Zan.

• 4 weeks later...

My sense is this hasn't sold well enough to spark significant interest in pressing more Switchfoot albums...which is sad.

On a side note: why, oh why, isn't Fading West available on vinyl? It's possibly their best album..in years/ever.

SF answered some questions a couple months ago about it, they said Fading West should be coming in December but I'm thinking more Jan/Feb

My sense is this hasn't sold well enough to spark significant interest in pressing more Switchfoot albums...which is sad.

On a side note: why, oh why, isn't Fading West available on vinyl? It's possibly their best album..in years/ever.

SF answered some questions a couple months ago about it, they said Fading West should be coming in December but I'm thinking more Jan/Feb

I know I emailed BandFarm about this because when Switchfoot was on Letterman he held up an LP size cover and I got excited. At that time of the email BandFarm told me that it wasn't on vinyl. So I hope it does come! 

I thought Fading West had a couple good songs (the last two on the album, specifically), but besides that it was pretty bad. Maybe a slight improvement over Vice Verses, but both of those albums are such a huge dive in quality even from Hello Hurricane and especially from their best work.

That said, I'm very stoked about TBL finally getting pressed.