PO Soon: John Carpenter "Lost Themes" on Sacred Bones

Out February 2015

Pre-Order expected soon.  Will update this post with details when more info is available.

Check out the sample track "Vortex" on soundcloud here:

https://soundcloud.com/sacredbones/john-carpenter-vortex

Watch a video for "Vortex" featuring footage from classic John Carpenter films here:

http://johncarpenter.sacredbonesrecords.com/

Sounds awesome!  Hope Sacred Bones does a nice limited version for it!

I'm not too familiar with Sacred Bones -- does "deluxe" mean extra music or just different colored vinyl?

Edit: Found their newsletter, doesn't sound like there's anything different besides the color.

We’re offering the album on CD, black vinyl, orange-and-black swirl vinyl (limited to 300 copies) and red-and-black swirl vinyl enclosed in a wraparound sleeve (limited to 400 copies). All LPs will be packaged in a deluxe gatefold sleeve, and those two limited edition color variants are exclusive to our site, so we recommend acting fast.

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=a088e1e7fb68010cf6ad8ff4a&id=0460091a7a

I would hope the $38 I just dropped on the deluxe version is more than just the rarest variant.

Just saw this on Twitter, at least you're getting some type of fancy packaging:

"UPDATE: our newsletter mistakenly said the red/black John Carpenter vinyl was the limited wraparound version. It's the orange/black."

I'm not too familiar with Sacred Bones -- does "deluxe" mean extra music or just different colored vinyl?

Edit: Found their newsletter, doesn't sound like there's anything different besides the color.

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=a088e1e7fb68010cf6ad8ff4a&id=0460091a7a

The wrap around sleeve is pretty cool.  It's usually screen printed and sealed with a Sacred Bones Wax seal.  Im not sure it's $33 cool...

It's $38 when shipped so yeah. 8 unknown tracks + Vortex. 1 colored vinyl and fancy packaging. I dunno.

Yeah, I'm honestly more bummed by the current trend of adding $7 to a record just because it's color vinyl.  What happened to just having early color copies go to eager pre-sale shoppers and not wringing them for extra pennies?  I think this shit is going to hurt vinyl buying in the long run.

Yeah, I'm honestly more bummed by the current trend of adding $7 to a record just because it's color vinyl.  What happened to just having early color copies go to eager pre-sale shoppers and not wringing them for extra pennies?  I think this shit is going to hurt vinyl buying in the long run.

It's pretty much like the comics industry, the art print industry, movie industry as well. 3D covers, different colored prints, steel-case Blu-rays. Who wouldn't want to make a profit if you can justify the price tag and it sells out? If anything, we have ourselves and the flippers to blame for bringing these prices up. Granted, many of these releases wouldn't happen if it wasn't for the vinyl boom, so enjoy it while you can.

But yeah, CAPITALISM and THE HOBBY y'all. 

It's pretty much like the comics industry, the art print industry, movie industry as well. 3D covers, different colored prints, steel-case Blu-rays. Who wouldn't want to make a profit if you can justify the price tag and it sells out? If anything, we have ourselves and the flippers to blame for bringing these prices up. Granted, many of these releases wouldn't happen if it wasn't for the vinyl boom, so enjoy it while you can.

But yeah, CAPITALISM and THE HOBBY y'all. 

What still irks me to this day is that with 3d covers, steel cases, digipaks, younameit at the very least you are indeed getting something MORE (packaging, additional art, extra dvd's/cds and so on) compared to the og cheaper regular pressing that might justify the higher price tag.

Same identical product on a different colored medium +$1 : NOPE!

“Lost Themes was all about having fun,” Carpenter says. “It can be both great and bad to score over images, which is what I’m used to. Here there were no pressures. No actors asking me what they’re supposed to do. No crew waiting. No cutting room to go to. No release pending. It’s just fun. And I couldn’t have a better set-up at my house, where I depended on (collaborators) Cody (Carpenter, of the band Ludrium) and Daniel (Davies, who scored I, Frankenstein) to bring me ideas as we began improvising. The plan was to make my music more complete and fuller, because we had unlimited tracks. I wasn’t dealing with just analogue anymore. It’s a brand new world. And there was nothing in any of our heads when we started other than to make it moody.”

As is Carpenter’s style, repetition is the key to the thundering power of these tracks, their energy swirling with shredding chords, soaring organs, unnerving pianos and captivating percussion. Singularly titled to inspire dread with such names as “Vortex,” “Dominion,” “Abyss,” and “Purgatory,” but all linked into a unified whole, Lost Themes has a mesmerizing power. Horror fans will be reminded of Carpenter’s past works, as well as ancestors like Mike Oldfeld’s Tubular Bells and the raging guitars and chiming percussion of Goblin’s Suspiria. “’Both classical music and rock and roll are part of my musical language, which is riff-driven,” Carpenter explains. “So if you listen carefully, I’m sure you can hear some echoes from my past. But I’m sure that’s true of any composer. You just bring your music along with you.”

Sounds awesome!