The STAR WARS Thread

slinch

22 minutes ago, ksuwdboots said:

Remember that (just like vinyl) the plural of Jedi is Jedi. So The Last Jedi doesn't necessarily mean a single last Jedi.

That's a good point.  I googled for it and there seems to be some debate on it.  The Star Wars wiki describes the plural of Jedi to be Jedis, but someone on another forum pointed out that "Jedis" and "Siths" are never said in the films.

I don't feel like it would be weird to use the plural Jedis when referring to individuals.  Like, Q: "Who are those guys in the corner?" A: "Oh, those are Jedis."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I saw it last night and I thought it was pretty damn good. Don't click if you haven't seen it:

Spoiler

I loved TFA and that's probably the more consistently enjoyable film but I gotta say, I consider TLJ to be superior. They went in a different direction and quite a few unexpected things took place. There's some stuff that I wish was shorter (Finn and Rose's entire storyline for example) but the highs are really fucking high. Kylo killing Snoke (which was shocking), Leia using the force (looked kinda weird but was still a beautiful moment), Yoda's return (original trilogy Yoda on top of that) and the final fight. It was really interesting to see Kylo and Rey team up and nearly form an alliance too. However, I'm not sure if I should believe that Rey's parents really were "nobodies". She's ridiculously fucking strong, there's gotta be something else. Anyway, the Porgs were surprisingly, not annoying at all but actually pretty funny and adorable (I want ten).

And of course, Luke fucking Skywalker. My god, what a performance. ROTJ Luke is my favorite but Sensei Luke was something else. He's probably never been better.

I saw it twice already. I thought it was a great movie. Would not label it as best Star Wars of all time. If you divide it into fourths part 2 was my least favorite. That would be the Finn/Rose story/adventure arc (that’s all I’m saying to avoid spoilers)

I think overall I liked Force Awakens more on initial viewing. However I really liked what I saw and where they went with the characters.

There's been a ton of pissed off fans about many of the choices made in this movie, I thought the response would be more positive, but the more and more I read peoples' criticisms the more I thought they made some good points. In an attempt to keep this spoiler-free, I think my biggest issue (before having read what others thought) was pacing.

Echoing comments already... high high's, low low's. Overall a good movie. Will probably see once more and eventually purchase a physical copy.

Positives:

Spoiler

Yoda

the pink haired Resistance leaders (can't think of her name right now) sacrifice

"hologram" Luke

opening space battle

EDIT: final battle on Crait was pretty cool

Critiques:

Spoiler

Leia should've died... her "superman" resurrection was different (although I've seen similar in the Star Wars Legends canon)

Finn should've died... he's not that great of a character (imo) and that would've been a good heroic sacrifice for him

Snoke... died too soon, and we still don't know anything about him

Finn/Rose arc turned out to be pointless

EDIT: Rey's parents reveal was laaaaame...

Edited by No This Is Patrick
one more positive and critique

I thought the movie was incredible, minus a few details. I very, very much enjoyed the turning of expectations on their head. I think Rian was incredibly ballsy to pull off some of the things he did, and for me they worked to spectacular and surprising effect. 

Regardless of like or dislike though, I don't think there's any doubt that this is the most visually arresting movie in the franchise, and for that reason alone I am a little sad waiting for episode 9 because I don't think JJ can match it in that respect. 

Saw this last night.  Average at best. Rays arc with Luke and kylo was pretty good, everything with the resistance was pretty bad. 

Really cheesy too, all the stuff with that general was cringy.  And finn/rose arc was pretty god awful. 

Overall i got about what i expected out of it. Enjoyable enough, bad pacing, too long.  

Kind of a spoiler but kinda not because it’s not mentioned in TLJ and is still theory, but Rey is a Kenobi. Kylo either lied because he doesn’t know anything about Rey’s family, or because he’s afraid she’ll learn how powerful she truly is and fuckin’ wipe her ass with his face. The final duel between Kylo and Rey is so reminiscent of the Death Star Duel, it’s uncanny.